Which to try First?

giantsfancruisin

We are a family of 3 with an 11 year old son. We have done one cruise just to try it out, 3 night Carnival cruise from Long Beach to Ensenada. Didn't enjoy it all that much, too much of a party boat, not the best food, but it was a good introduction to cruising and we want to try a longer cruise to more exotic locales.

We are looking at Eastern Carribean over Thanksgiving week, choosing between RC, NCL, Princess, Celebrity, and maybe HAL??

I think RC is just too big, don't like the idea of a floating mall. Celebrity is where we are leaning...advice please! Thank you

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Yes, short cruises such as the one you were on are like a party boat.

Of the lines you mentioned Celebrity is our favorite one.

You will find a nice number of children on board Thanksgiving week.

I think the kids would like all of the lines you mentioned and they all have clubs for the children.

I would recommend reading cruise member review on the ship you are considering to get a feel for what others have to say.

Keith

I think RC is just too big, don't like the idea of a floating mall

Famous last words of people before they try Royals Oasis class. With an 11 year old, its perfect for him, He may be board on celebrity.

We are a family of 3 with an 11 year old son. We have done one cruise just to try it out, 3 night Carnival cruise from Long Beach to Ensenada. Didn't enjoy it all that much, too much of a party boat, not the best food, but it was a good introduction to cruising and we want to try a longer cruise to more exotic locales.

We are looking at Eastern Carribean over Thanksgiving week, choosing between RC, NCL, Princess, Celebrity, and maybe HAL??

I think RC is just too big, don't like the idea of a floating mall. Celebrity is where we are leaning...advice please! Thank you

RC does have different sized ships...they aren't all giant malls ;)

Thanksgiving week you will find lots of kids on all lines - but in general my impression is that Celebrity and HAL would usually have less families than the others. Slightly older passengers, a little less for kids to do on the ship. I could be wrong - I am not up on all the newest ships for each line.

Celebrity is more formal than the other ships, passengers are usually older and they don't have as many kids as the other ships do. I think of them as more of a country club cruise- more men in a tux on formal night than the other ships.

HAL is know for older passengers.

I would day RCCL- a smaller RCCL- or even Carnival. Both have fantastic programs for kids.

We don't like NCL at all- hate only freestyle dining- once we had had to wait 40 minutes for a table.

For a first cruise is look at a cruise from the West Coast. Close to home, no flights necessary.

Princess and Carnival sail year round from Los Angeles.

The Imagination/Inspiration short cruise is very different than the week long cruises. I've done lots of them over the years.

Edited by SadieN