If MDR was open for embarkation lunch would you go there?

LMaxwell

If the MDR was open for embarkation lunch would you go there?  

342 members have voted

1. 1. If the MDR was open for embarkation lunch would you go there?

• Yes, we would go to the MDR for embarkation day lunch
    • No, we would not go to the MDR for embarkation day lunch

Why is that, regardless of cruise line, it seems most people MUST eat lunch right away after setting foot on the ship? :confused: Worried they won't get enough to eat over the next several days? I don't get it. I'd rather explore the ship, particularly if it's my first time on it, go to the pool before it gets too crazy, or a bunch of other things.

I'm simply asking that if there was another option available, who would take advantage of it. You wouldn't take advantage of it. You prefer other things. I'm not sure what you don't get actually?

I love the honey stung chicken but they didn't have it on the Majesty in August :(

I would go to the MDR for sure over the Windjammer, the Honey Stung chicken was all i really liked.

No more Honey Stung Chicken fleetwide. It may still be listed on some room service menus but when ordered, they bring your chicken tenders :o

No more Honey Stung Chicken fleetwide. It may still be listed on some room service menus but when ordered, they bring your chicken tenders :o

I probably didn't notice it until the end of its lifecycle, but I found it to be highly overrated

I probably didn't notice it until the end of its lifecycle, but I found it to be highly overrated

It was a frozen piece of Tyson chicken "pattie" :D How impressive could that be? :cool: I found it to be ok if you got a fresh piece but not good at all after it sits a while.

I think the main reason people raved about it was the fact that in the past, it was only served on boarding day for lunch in the Windjammer. I guess it signified the start of their cruise? :)

A frozen lava flow from the Pool bar signifies the start of mine :D

11160660_10204175010511123_971601643888928487_n.jpg?oh=1a9497e4c5ba288703acacd514690431&oe=5667276F

Edited by ryano

It was a frozen piece of Tyson chicken "pattie" :D How impressive could that be? :cool: I found it to be ok if you got a fresh piece but not good at all after it sits a while.

I think the main reason people raved about it was the fact that in the past, it was only served on boarding day for lunch in the Windjammer. I guess it signified the start of their cruise? :)

11160660_10204175010511123_971601643888928487_n.jpg?oh=1a9497e4c5ba288703acacd514690431&oe=5667276F

Ours used to be WooWoos on the pool deck back in the Monarch days

Same logic applies to you. Are you afraid that you won't get enough time on the pool deck over the proceeding several days? One thing I know, is if you just got off a 7hr plane ride and a 30minute bus ride, you tend to be hungry... and thirsty... and probably aren't in the mood to change into your swim wear, and then change back for muster/drills. 0.02.

I'm simply asking that if there was another option available, who would take advantage of it. You wouldn't take advantage of it. You prefer other things. I'm not sure what you don't get actually?

Jeeeezzz...it was just a light-hearted remark about how most people immediately go eat something as soon as they get onboard. There is probably very few other situations where a vast majority of a few thousand people all exhibit the same behavior like that.....unless maybe if you're on Cruise Critic, where it sometimes seems like everyone is always looking for an argument.

... and probably aren't in the mood to change into your swim wear, and then change back for muster/drills. 0.02.

We won't need to worry about that as we are sailing out of Southampton UK in October :eek:

Go to muster wet, no one pushes against you. ;)

Jeeeezzz...it was just a light-hearted remark about how most people immediately go eat something as soon as they get onboard. There is probably very few other situations where a vast majority of a few thousand people all exhibit the same behavior like that.....unless maybe if you're on Cruise Critic, where it sometimes seems like everyone is always looking for an argument.

You get used to it.

1442265864034.jpg.f00f76a09a229a2c9dc8910fe394dd0a.jpg

Why is that, regardless of cruise line, it seems most people MUST eat lunch right away after setting foot on the ship? :confused: Worried they won't get enough to eat over the next several days? I don't get it. I'd rather explore the ship, particularly if it's my first time on it, go to the pool before it gets too crazy, or a bunch of other things.

We do it because:

we have travelled a long way to get to port

it has a bar

skipped breakfast to avoid the lines at embarkation

not much is open

already explored the ship (Freedom is our favorite)

we don't gorge ourselves

it has a bar

great to watch new cruisers "take it all in"

it's close to specialty restaurants to the weeks reservations

near the pools where the kids are headed

and

it has a bar.

Just our take on it. :)

We do it because:

we have travelled a long way to get to port

it has a bar

skipped breakfast to avoid the lines at embarkation

not much is open

already explored the ship (Freedom is our favorite)

we don't gorge ourselves

it has a bar

great to watch new cruisers "take it all in"

it's close to specialty restaurants to the weeks reservations

near the pools where the kids are headed

and

it has a bar.

Just our take on it. :)

Love the Plaza Bar

Love the Plaza Bar

On our last cruise we had a stressful check-in (computer error) and the Plaza bartenders ended up taking great care of us. We were new to the drinks package and they told us all about it and made us some GREAT drinks :) It was a great way to start our cruise! I see it becoming a tradition!

We would love to have the nicer atmosphere and more comfortable surroundings while we are waiting for our rooms to be ready. Plus, we would eat LESS because we would not be tempted to return to see "what they have". A salad, a cup of coffee and a dessert and we're good.

I have to be honest, I am not interested in going back to the buffet to see what else they may have added. My cruise first meal is paella, strawberry melon drink and chocolate chip cookie. Very simple....but a tradition. Then the people watching sets in; then off to drop off our carry on luggage and people watch on the pool deck.

A tradition I am not really looking to change.

Nice way to start a cruise!

I have to be honest, I am not interested in going back to the buffet to see what else they may have added. My cruise first meal is paella, strawberry melon drink and chocolate chip cookie. Very simple....but a tradition. Then the people watching sets in; then off to drop off our carry on luggage and people watch on the pool deck.

A tradition I am not really looking to change.

Until they drop paella from the buffet. ;)

Enchantment makes a great paella on the pool deck On one of the sea days:D

Edited by John&LaLa

If the MDR was an option for embarkation day lunch would you go to that instead of to Windjammer / quick serve venue.

I'll make this a poll; please vote at the top.

We are returning to RCCL after not being on one of their ships in years. Very disappointed to learn one of the dining Rooms are not open for embarkation day. It is such a wonderful relaxing way to start the trip. I made the mistake of thinking all ships now offer this luxury. As we prepare for our trip in 2016, we realize more and more why RCCL is offering lower price for similar journey on Princess. Plan on going with an open mind. Hopefully there will be other benefits.

The Original Honey Stung Fried Chicken was the best... Then the last few years before they got rid of it they changed it and it wasn't nearly as good (But was still a beginning of the cruise tradition). Then they got rid of it :mad:

Would love them to bring back the original they used 5 or so years ago!!!!

The Original Honey Stung Fried Chicken was the best... Then the last few years before they got rid of it they changed it and it wasn't nearly as good (But was still a beginning of the cruise tradition). Then they got rid of it :mad:

I would feel the same if they no longer had the paella on the buffet on embarkation day.

Yes, I LOVED that Honey Stung Chicken when it wasn't simply a Tyson Chicken Patty. I have a hard time believing that they haven't responded to the requests to bring it back. Maybe there hasn't been enough of an outcry? :confused:

Most people answered the very simple question with a yes or no. you came in and used a broad brush to try to insult people while not answering the question either way because you didn't understand. I then explained the question again in child like terms so you could not possible misunderstand. that's not being argumentative. Maybe in the future if you don't like a topic don't lob a hand grenade in to see what happens?