Sun or Caribbean Princess

frogfuzz

Just hubs and myself , mainly looking for good food, relax , hassle free as possible. Want a balcony room.

Trying Princess over Royal this time & these 2 ships have the destinations we are looking at

Any opinions, suggestions or info would be great.

Thanks

Oh My, that is talking apples and oranges. Both are great ships but totally different classes of vessels. The Caribbean Princess is HUGE and has a lot of the extras you will find on the larger RCI ships. Whereas the Sun Class ships are smaller and are more of what we feel are relaxing cruises without the HUGE crowds that the Caribbean Princess attracks.

The Caribbean Princess has the Cafe Caribe which offers some wonderful sea food on certain nights............................it was the biggest plus when we sailed on her. But the shows can be very crowded because of the amount of people sailing this ship.

The Sun Class offers a great pizza restaurant (sit down style) that has different menu items for lunch and for dinner.

Both offer alternate Sabatinis and Sterling Steakhouse (for a fee).

Each has their good points. It would depend on if you are looking for a very large ship or a smaller more initimate cruise.

I would not exactly think of the Sun for "a more intimate cruise" but it is not as large a ship as some of them out there today. We loved the size, but again we were not looking for rock climbing, ice skating or 20 different bars :-) The ports were more important to us when we booked. There were 2,000 on our Sun cruise - more then enough people and we never felt like we were crowded!! (we are booked on the Sapphire for next April and have been on the Carnival Destiny, which was larger then the Sun).

Both size ships have pros and cons - that is why I think the ports are a deciding factor .... now if both ships go to the same place you do have a problem :-)

Maybe if you can tell us what you like on RCCL ships - we can direct you better.....

If you say that you love all the activities on Voyager class ships and am bored on the Splendor of the Seas, we can direct you better. Let us know what RCCL ships you have liked and why and hopefully we can direct you better.

We have only been on 1 cruise and it was on the smallest Empress Ship ,which had the broken propellor horrible vibration & missed ports debacle, not boycotting RCI, had a great time. Will go back.Just interested in these 2 cruise lines over the others. We are newly empty nesters & want to start vacationing this way. Would like to stick with 1or 2 cruise lines to get perks. Narrowed it down to RCI & Princess. Seems like our age group & in between atmosphere.

The main reason we went with a smaller ship and what I am looking for is I dont want a crowded feeling. I only felt run over and crowded at the buffet (people don't believe in lines) and around the small pool area, I prefer the deck away from activity anyway. Like the idea of Movies and an occasional show. No rowdy Party atmosphere. I don't want to be screamed at "everybody get up and limbo", don't just lay there. I walk nightly but other than that activites we want to read books & RELAX something we dont have time to do at home Wouldn't do pay restaurants. Romance ? ehh..;) a Bud light and a pizza and we're good. :D

one other thing please. I felt severely overdressed at NON - formal dinner. Most women were dressed in regular cotton pants and cotton shirts something you'd wear to Olive Garden. I thought it was a step up like silk or lace tops & sun dresses. Never saw a man in a blazer at dinner. How are non formal dining room night dress like?

Again, thanks for the imput. Love this Cruisin' stuff

Haven't been on the Caribbean Princess, but have been on her marginally smaller sis, Golden Princess. A very nice ship, but bigger than I like.

The Sun class is a very nice size, we think, and its mini-suites are the equivalent of a full suite on many ships. Being a little older, the Sun class does not have all the bells and whistles on the newer ships - but we think the class is more than adequate.

Hate to add a line to your list, but have you looked at HAL? Based on what you said, it seems like you may be happier trying Princess and HAL rather than RCI. We are in our mid-thirties and had a fantastic HM on the Oosterdam...the cabins, food and service were great!

As for the CB, we're booked on her next month and as much as I am looking forward to the cruise, I kind of wish it was on one of the Sun class ships)...looking to book a Sun class to Alaska next!

For jsut the two of you - I vote Sun. Again I haven't been on the Carribean, but have the Grand. I'd go agin if it was going somewhere I really eanted to go, but would not be my first choice for ship. Too big. I Love the the Sun class ships. ALso a 10 day cruise, beats 7 any day of the week. Have a great trip!

Regarding your dinner dress question on non-formal nights. When we were on the Sun in April we saw very few men with jackets on - just nice shirts (collar) and pants (NO JEANS that we saw). That is what my husband wore and he felt quite comfortable and adequately attired. There were a few suits/jackets here and there, but it was not the norm. As for the women - dress varied from pants and a top to dresses (again, NO jeans noticed). I wore black pants and took a few "semi-dressy" tops that served just fine-the kind of thing I wear to a nice restuarant/show in 'Vegas. The same black pants with a more dressy top worked well for formal nites too. I cannot see dragging a bunch of fancy clothes (which need different shoes, accessories, etc), as it is we had enough luggage to contend with.

Balcony size was small on the Sun, but we thought they were adequate - afterall all we did was sit out there. Two white plastic chairs and a small table ... we managed just fine eating some snacks out there. I liked the fact that the balconies were completely covered and cut from the hull.

Having been on both the Caribbean Princess and the Sun Princess, AND been on the Nordic Empress (which is now the Empress of the Seas), I think you'd like the Sun Princess better for several reasons:

1. The Sun Princess has a wrap-around promenade deck where you can either do your evening walk or relax during the day on loungers, watching the water (and the people) go by. This is a GREAT spot away from the crowds where you can relax and read. The Caribbean Princess doesn't have the wrap-around promenade. Also, the Sun Princess has a nice library with big, deep leather chairs and hassocks where you can hang out and read. The CB does too but it's not as big considering the greater number of passengers.

2. The Caribbean Princess is a big jump up in the number of people on board. It's a much larger ship and while it has more amenities (such as MUTS), there are a lot more people onboard. The Sun Princess is a little bit larger than the Empress but the public spaces are much better laid out.

Considering the things you mention that you like to do, and your comments about RCI, I think you'll like Princess. Instead of the two very, very long lines (30 minutes or longer) on either side of the buffet on the Empress, Princess has food "stations" where you can go to get the type of food you want without having to stand in line behind everyone else. Once you get used to it, it's much more efficient.

Judging from your comments - I think you would enjoy the Sun Princess. The balconies are small but functional. The ship would be larger then the original ship you were on but not too large - in my opinion, the Sun Princess is a great size. If you decide to go with the Caribbean Princess - I am sure you would have fun also.

If you pick the Sun Princess - AVOID the balcony cabins that will accomodate 4 people. These are awful cabins. Those cabins that accomodate 2 people are fine.

I'm going to put my two cents in.

I LOVE the Sun Class ships. The Sun Princess was the first one we went on after we had been on the Radisson Diamond twice. We found the ship to be nearly as nice as the Diamond for a lot, lot less money.

We have been on the Golden Princess, but it really is too big for my tastes. I don't think I would book the Caribbean Princess because there are many more people than the Golden and the Golden had too many for me.

One aspect that has not been mentioned - there are far fewer children on the 10 day cruises than there are on the 7 day cruises. Also, plan your cruise at a time when there is no school vacation anywhere. It really makes a difference. Those third and fourth beds in cabins are usually filled with kids, not adults.

I would second the poster who said perhaps you should try HAL. We were onthe Westerdam last year and loved it. (and we are Platinum level Princess cruisers). The balcony staterooms are bigger and the bathrooms are bigger.

I would also opt for the mini-suite on the Sun. For very little extra money you get twice the space of a balcony cabin, a whirlpool bath, a separate stall shower with a glass door (instead of a shower curtain) and a separate toilet and sink room (from the bath area). The sleeping area is also separated from the sitting area. The only negative is that the midship balconies are long and narrow. If you want a big balcony, opt for an aft mini-suite. The balconies there are much larger.

Of course, once you try a mini-suite, you'll never want to go back to a regular cabin again.

Whichever you choose, have a wonderful time.

Roberta

We've been on Sun and Sea as well as Grand and Golden (slightly smaller than Carribbean but same plan). We are booked on the Sun in three weeks so you can tell we like it as well as the others.

But be aware of some of the recommendations. On Grand Class ships (Grand and similar Carribbean) mini-suites are long and narrow with the living room adjacent to the larger balcony. BUT!!! They are affordable. Roughly $100 to $150 per person buys a mini-suite on Grand Class ships.

On Sun we too would love a mini-suite as they are twice the size of a balcony cabin. But they are almost twice the price too! A mini-suite on the 10 day Southern Carribbean is $1,000 PER PERSON more than a balcony cabin!!!! That's such a huge difference that we can't touch it. Instead, we booked back to back 10 day cruises on Sun (admittedly a $2,600 second week) but hardly more than an upgrade to a mini-suite would be for just the first 10 days.

Thanks

Norm and Maureen

But be aware of some of the recommendations. On Grand Class ships (Grand and similar Carribbean) mini-suites are long and narrow with the living room adjacent to the larger balcony. BUT!!! They are affordable. Roughly $100 to $150 per person buys a mini-suite on Grand Class ships.

On Sun we too would love a mini-suite as they are twice the size of a balcony cabin. But they are almost twice the price too! A mini-suite on the 10 day Southern Carribbean is $1,000 PER PERSON more than a balcony cabin!!!! That's such a huge difference that we can't touch it. Instead, we booked back to back 10 day cruises on Sun (admittedly a $2,600 second week) but hardly more than an upgrade to a mini-suite would be for just the first 10 days.

I agree 100%! I can easily afford a minisuite on a Grand class ships but can not afford a minisuite on a Sun class ship. The price of minisuites on the Sun class is the same as the cost of suites on a Grand class.

My husband and I sailed on both the Sun and the Caribbean Princess last November. We had a mini-suite on both ships. Our vote would be the Sun Princess. We want to relax without large crowds and find the Sun class ships to be the most enjoyable.

Sun Class all the way. I think one of the reasons the minis on the Sun Class are more expensive is that they really are small suites. On the Grand Class ships, the minis are more like large staterooms. But based on your likes and past experience, I would definitely stay away from Caribbean Princess.

Archived