Bottle Size of Fun Shop Purchase

miataman19

What are the bottle sizes of the alcohol (assuming 750ml) and the beer (assuming 12oz) that you pre-purchase at The Fun Shop pre-cruise to have in your room when you arrive on embarkation day? Can't find it on the Carnival website. And is it cheaper to just buy the beer at a bar on-board and have the bartender not open it to bring back to the room for later and buy a bottle of rum in the shop's on-board when they open? Purchased Bottomless Bubbles so that's a savings for the mixer's. Were not big drinkers but having 1 bottle and some beers to enjoy on the balcony in the room will be convenient. Booked an aft-balcony cabin so I'm trying to trim some other expenses. Thanks

What are the bottle sizes of the alcohol (assuming 750ml) and the beer (assuming 12oz) that you pre-purchase at The Fun Shop pre-cruise to have in your room when you arrive on embarkation day? Can't find it on the Carnival website. And is it cheaper to just buy the beer at a bar on-board and have the bartender not open it to bring back to the room for later and buy a bottle of rum in the shop's on-board when they open? Purchased Bottomless Bubbles so that's a savings for the mixer's. Were not big drinkers but having 1 bottle and some beers to enjoy on the balcony in the room will be convenient. Booked an aft-balcony cabin so I'm trying to trim some other expenses. Thanks

I can answer the liquor question..most are 1 liter bottles (33oz). You can purchase the bottles in the store on board when they open, but you aren't allowed to take them to your cabin. They are held until morning you depart. They are a lot cheaper.

You are probably better just buying buckets of beer after you board. You get a bit of a discount.

I have purchased bottles of vodka several times and they are a liter. There may be some that are 750ml (25 oz), but you may have to say what you are specifically looking for and somebody may be able to answer.

And of course they are expensive, since the ship is a resort and not your local Costco. But it's still cheaper than buying all your drinks at the bar. I always take an empty Rum Runner with me and take whatever is left home.

750, correct. The mark up is absurd. Jim Beam costs $22 in the store, $85 on Carnival!!! And they wonder why rum runners exist!

This is not a correct answer. The alcohol bottles are 1 liter unless otherwise noted.

OP when you go to the fun shops, click on liquor. All the different liquors will show up. Click on the bottle you want and a description shows up and it shows what the size of the bottle is in the description.

750, correct. The mark up is absurd. Jim Beam costs $22 in the store, $85 on Carnival!!! And they wonder why rum runners exist!

Compare the prices to bottle service in a club, not liquor store prices. It's a service being offered. The price is still way less than per drink at the bar.

And as already noted, they are 1 liter.

Looks like some beers are 16 oz aluminum bottles or 16 oz large cans, while some are 12 oz bottles. The price in BV is lower on those that appear to be 12. If you click on then photo, it tells you the size.

Edited by kbanowsky

Hi,

Do you have to order pre-cruise, or can you order during the cruise? I am thinking aout ordering a1 liter bottle of vodka, but was wondering if I can wait while on the ship?

Thank you

ML

It's actually less expensive if you wait until you're on board. When you are in port or when you pre-order you get charged tax on the purchase. If you wait until you're out at sea and just order a bottle from room service you get charged only the price of the liquor. Now I always give a tip to people delivering room service but I waited until the next morning when I was going to get coffee anyway and just gave him a tip for both the bottle and breakfast. I had my bottle of wine to drink the first night.

It's actually less expensive if you wait until you're on board. When you are in port or when you pre-order you get charged tax on the purchase. If you wait until you're out at sea and just order a bottle from room service you get charged only the price of the liquor. Now I always give a tip to people delivering room service but I waited until the next morning when I was going to get coffee anyway and just gave him a tip for both the bottle and breakfast. I had my bottle of wine to drink the first night.

Thank you for that tip about waiting. I always bring wine on board. my husband will bring a bottle and I as well.

ML

Are you sure about that? If you order a bottle of liquor from room service, I believe you will be charged the 15% gratuity, just as you would be if you ordered a bottle of champagne or wine.

I pre-ordered a bottle of rum pre-cruise through bon voyage and was not charged tax or gratuity on it. Just the price that showed up online. It was 1.14 liters.

I believe it has to do with when you order it to be delivered. If you want it ready when you board, I have been told you will be charged tax since you are still in the US. I opted to receive the bottle the first night after departure so was in INTL waters (no tax).

Edited by bargainsniper

Are you sure about that? If you order a bottle of liquor from room service, I believe you will be charged the 15% gratuity, just as you would be if you ordered a bottle of champagne or wine.

I pre-ordered a bottle of rum pre-cruise through bon voyage and was not charged tax or gratuity on it. Just the price that showed up online. It was 1.14 liters.

I believe it has to do with when you order it to be delivered. If you want it ready when you board, I have been told you will be charged tax since you are still in the US. I opted to receive the bottle the first night after departure so was in INTL waters (no tax).

On my last cruise I ordered a bottle of vodka the first morning and it was brought with no tax or gratuity other than the five bucks I gave the guy for bringing both my breakfast and the bottle. And that gratuity was my choice not added on automatically.

• 4 years later...
On 9/13/2015 at 3:44 PM, ready2cruzagain said:

This is not a correct answer. The alcohol bottles are 1 liter unless otherwise noted.

I 1 litre sizes are those for purchase.  The $85 price tag is if you pre-order a bottle to your cabin.  That bottle would be the same size as what you would purchase in your local liquor store.

1 hour ago, DramaQueen22 said:

I 1 litre sizes are those for purchase.  The $85 price tag is if you pre-order a bottle to your cabin.  That bottle would be the same size as what you would purchase in your local liquor store.

My answer was correct in 2015, which is why I typed it but this is 2019 four years later, look at the dates.

The bottle size we received when we ordered through the Bon Voyage Program in 2010 was1 liter.  The bottle of Southern Comfort we've pre-ordered for our upcoming cruise is also a full liter.  It is not the same size you'd normally find in your package store at home.  I am used to finding 500 ml ("pint"), 750 ml ("fifth") and 1.75l (shelf size).  I don't know that I've ever found a one liter bottle at any liquor store I've shopped at before.