Military Leave

ShdwKnght

On leave from the Navy and went on a cruise? This just struck me as hilarious.

Well. Let's see: booze on board. No standing watch. Beds, not racks. Oh and your spouse gets to come along. Swim call doesn't require Shark Snipers.

Granted the gee dunk is the same stale overpriced stuff, but the coffee doesn't taste like jet fuel. Shrimp cocktail every night. And the buffet serves stuff other than chicken adobo and sliders on Wednesday

Bonus: more bling on your formal outfit than the Captain.

On leave from the Navy and went on a cruise? This just struck me as hilarious.

Yeah, I know, but he's been land-side for more than a year and their ship doesn't deploy for another 15 months----it's been dry docked for all that time . So he's living near the base in Norfolk, and hasn't sailed on his ship for a long time.

Edited by kitty9

mine gets back from 6 months Haze Grey in under 2 weeks and we take a cruise in December.

he also retires on 1 December. so this cruise is even more special. I am trying to decide what to pre order ahead of time to have in the cabin as a surprise.

When a soldier fills out their military leave form there is a section that asks for the Leave address. If they are going on a cruise, what would they put in for the leave address?

Thanks.

Don't know which cruiseline you're planning on, but be sure to check for military benefits. I know Princess give active and vets some nice obc. And thnak you for your service :-)

I went on my first cruise while on active duty. I just put my home address as my leave address, and then let my boss know that I would be on a cruise and gave him the emergency number in case they absolutely had to contact me.

I don't know what your husband's rank or position is, but if he's an officer who generally gets a lot of calls and is expected to do some work while on leave (like I was), make sure he lets his boss know that he'll be completely out of contact except for actual emergencies. Also have him tell his boss that there is no Wifi on the ship, otherwise they might expect him to check his email regularly. (Yes, I've fought this battle in the past).

oh, another thing.. if there is Clearance involved, make sure the security officer clears/approves the port calls.

our Pacific cruise he had to promise to not leave the ship in Ensenada since that part of Mexico is off limits to Squids. ( not that we would get off anyway, there is not much there worth doing)

We had a hard time convincing my son-in-law to go on a cruise after he got out of the Navy. My daughter had been on a cruise and every time she mentioned it to him, he would say, "I've been on a ship. No." He reluctantly agreed to go on a cruise to celebrate my parents 50th Anniversary. We overhead him giving my Dad advice before the cruise. He told my Dad to eat everything he could on the first few days because as it gets close to the end, they will serve what's left and it's terrible because it doesn't go together and the food is gets worse the closer to the end. We couldn't convince him that the beds were comfortable, the food would be good, it would not feel like a ship he had been on, to no avail. When he boarded, you could tell he was shocked. True to his words, he ate everything he could get his hands on the first 4 days. He also ate like he was going to be starved on the last day. He loved it. He went diving, he went to the clubs, he bought Cuban cigars and smoked them. He drank BUCKETS of beer. We're Diamond now and we're all going on another cruise in July with him along. He's already talking about the dive spots and food.

My wife thanks you all for your answers. I knew we could count on the kind people of CC to know the answer. The paperwork has been filled out now and turned in. She said she has done all the anti-terrorist briefing. She is the one in the military, so I have passed on your thanks for her service.

When looking for our cruise, we checked the military discounts, and actually came out better with a special Carnival was running.

Again, we thank you all.

Edited by ShdwKnght

This is one of the things I really like about you Americans. I'm afraid that, on the whole, servicemen and vets do not receive this level of respect in Britain :(

Here it is a brother/sisterhood, I always try to thank my fellow brothers/sisters. When I was on my first tour, anytime I was home and in uniform we were called baby killers and things like that. It was very disappointing. :-(

When I cruise, I use the address of the departure port and add the name of the ship. Been doing it for years, and no one has ever objected. Of course, no one in my chain of command has a better idea when I ask either. :D For emergency contact number, I google the shore-to-ship number for the ship and use that. I also let my bosses know that it'll be a pricey phone call to make, so it had better be a no kidding emergency!

Edited: Oops - just read further down the thread and read that she's already turned in the paperwork. Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by samiam0403