Promenade Stateroom: Noise?

cruisexlife

Hello,

Just did a mock booking and found a pretty good deal on Independence for a Promenade Stateroom. I see that the window faces the interior promenade. I think this will be something cool to try, especially since if I book, it'll be my first ship with an interior promenade. I was wondering, is it noisy? I know they do parades and seminars down it and when I go to turn in for the night I'm really going to want to sleep. It'll be between 11PM-12AM if the times mean anything. Also, do the windows open in case I want to watch a show and stick my head out? Is there a ledge to sit on or do you have to stand? If you have pictures, could you please include them?

Thanks so much for the info! :D

My sister has booked a promenade room twice now because she loves them so much. She says she has no trouble sleeping at all and doesn't hear a thing.

I would try to get a room on Deck 7 if you can......that will put you at a good level (not too high and not too low) to the action.

Have fun on your cruise!!!

Our promenade cabins on Navigator have been reasonably quiet, though if you select deck six, find out what is below you. Our cabins were above gift shops, so no noise from below, and we liked deck 6...just a quick flight of stairs to coffee or fresh air. However, if a deck 5 bar is right below you, there might be late music; the bass through the floor might or might not disturb you...no reason to risk it.

There is a padded window seat along the window. The windows do not open.

Don't know the answer to your question as it'll be our first time, but we booked a Promendae for our cruise next year (not on Independence). We're coming with our kids and it seems like a fun room...to just sit and watch out the window. And the extra seat is nice. We also like that it's at the priceline of an interior.

I would think that by 11pm, the main activities would be over (like parade, etc)

Edited by LuCruise

Also keep in mind that the people across the way can see into your room through the window... CLOSE YOUR CURTAINS when privacy is required/desired!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

It's not "just" the people across the way that will be able to see into your cabin...;)

We've had a promenade cabin a few times. Since the prices were so good we could not pass them up. Well worth it. Never had an issue with noise except a little when we had the Ben & Jerry's Suite. But not enough to bother us much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by abridalmaven

We've had a promenade cabin a few times. Since the prices were so good we could not pass them up. Well worth it. Never had an issue with noise except a little when we had the Ben & Jerry's Suite. But not enough to bother us much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to mention B&J noise. Some folks say they have fixed it. Oh, and it bothered us plenty

Edited by John&LaLa

I found the layout to be cramped with the bed on the side. Window seat is kind of useless since it so small. Also stuff tends to fall behind it. Make sure you check there before you leave

I think it will be pretty perfect for one person - although I can see how it may be cramped with two....

Promenade is our go to room.

Just a tad bit more than an interior and comes with a view. As mentioned above the window doesn't open but there is a window seat. Deck 7 is the best, 8 is too high and 6 is too low. It is also the best place to watch the parades because you can see the whole thing not just what is passing in front of you.

We have never been disturbed by the noise, a muted crowd murmur is all you really hear which is nice white noise for an afternoon power nap.

DW and I spent 28dys in a PR on a B2B on Mariner - on deck6 as well :)

It was fine, the window and its extra seating was pleasant and practical. I think they're a true bargain, I'd rather have a PR than a low deck OV.

Ours was the one with the lights on !

P1010399sm.jpg

Edited by pspercy

We've had a PR cabin on many of our RCCL cruises. No noise worth mentioning, though I don't think we've been on deck 6 before. The windows on the deck 8 PR cabins slope outward at the top making it easier to see down. On Independence OTS we had a deck 8 cabin near the forward elevators. There is a large hanging sculpture (a wok with fish, I think) that blocks the view of the Prominade directly below the cabin. Next time, I'd pick a location more midship.

Hello,

Just did a mock booking and found a pretty good deal on Independence for a Promenade Stateroom. I see that the window faces the interior promenade. I think this will be something cool to try, especially since if I book, it'll be my first ship with an interior promenade. I was wondering, is it noisy? I know they do parades and seminars down it and when I go to turn in for the night I'm really going to want to sleep. It'll be between 11PM-12AM if the times mean anything. Also, do the windows open in case I want to watch a show and stick my head out? Is there a ledge to sit on or do you have to stand? If you have pictures, could you please include them?

Thanks so much for the info! :D

We had a Promenade on the Indy a couple of years ago and it was my favourite room. We turn in around the same time and its wasn't noisy. Any parades are wrapped up well before that time. I like the layout of the room and in fact we have a Promenade booked for a back to back on the NOS in a few weeks.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

I found the layout to be cramped with the bed on the side. Window seat is kind of useless since it so small. Also stuff tends to fall behind it. Make sure you check there before you leave

Cramped is relative. We did a cabin crawl, showing our promenade cabin and seeing, among others, an inside with virtual balcony on Navigator. While the virtual feature is cute, that cabin was much smaller than our promenade cabin. We'd have felt cramped in the inside, but were happy with promenade cabin. I spent a fair bit of time on the window seat, people watching and chatting with husband on nearby couch. So the seat was big enough for me, though a larger person might not like it. For an upcoming cruise, we are taking a promenade cabin, though a OV on a low deck is very close in price.

Edited by Starry Eyes

Cramped is relative. We did a cabin crawl, showing our promenade cabin and seeing, among others, an inside with virtual balcony on Navigator. While the virtual feature is cute, that cabin was much smaller than our promenade cabin. We'd have felt cramped in the inside, but were happy with promenade cabin. I spent a fair bit of time on the window seat, people watching and chatting with husband on nearby couch. So the seat was big enough for me, though a larger person might not like it. For an upcoming cruise, we are taking a promenade cabin, though a OV on a low deck is very close in price.

Absolutely, what I found to be cramped was the passage around the bed to get to desk/vanity. Inside cabins have beds on far side of room making them feel more open

I just read a review of the Independence OTS and the OP mentioned the noise on the Prominade. Here's a link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46447069

Watch the video. Yes, they do have several parades or parties on the Prominade, but the cabins are pretty well insulated from the sound and the noise is usually over by 10:30 or 11 pm at latest. Deck 6 would be the loudest, of course.

One of the pictures shows the golden, hanging bowl, or whatever it is, that blocks the view of the Prominade from the PR cabins nearest the forward elevators.

John is right, the bed is really close to the vanity and walking around the bed to the window is a squeeze. To me it's worth a couple of bucks per day more to have that window on the world overlooking the Prominade.

I also like the inside cabins with the window on the walkway at the front of the ship. I can't recall if Royal has any of those, but I have a couple booked on Carnival.

Edited by Hawaiifrank

DW and I spent 28dys in a PR on a B2B on Mariner - on deck6 as well :)

It was fine, the window and its extra seating was pleasant and practical. I think they're a true bargain, I'd rather have a PR than a low deck OV.

Ours was the one with the lights on !

P1010399sm.jpg

We had a deck 6 PR cabin on Adventure across from the entertainer's area of the pub and it was noisy inside that cabin at times in the evening depending on the type of music being played .

Edited by robtulipe