San Francisco Hotel - Union Square or Fisherman's Wharf?

mickeysgal

We will be in San Francisco for three nights early October. Just read the San Francisco Safety thread and it does have me concerned. Looking at the areas of Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square...where should we stay? Any specific hotels to recommend?

Easy...Wharf...

Fishermans Wharf is a fun place to stay. I like the Argonaut Hotel. It's in a great location, free wine in the lobby every night, good restaurant for breakfast, fun atmosphere, beautiful rooms, comfy beds...and if you are on the beginning or end of a cruise from San Francisco, the cruise pier is a very short taxi ride away.

Edited by Chloe1500
Darn autocorrect

We also have stayed at the Argonaut and loved it.

But we also stayed at the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf the fall of 2014 after a roll call member bid on Priceline and the winning hotel was found to be the Sheraton. Since the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf (at least then) accepted pets the speculation was that the Sheraton was the unnamed hotel. A number on that roll call also bid. It was wonderful to find a San Francisco hotel for under $90.00 per night.

We have reservations at two hotels, the Holiday Inn Express, Fisherman's Wharf and the Hilton San Francisco Financial District, before our cruise next Labor Day weekend (9/3/16), and obviously will need to cancel one or both of them (most hotels aren't available for booking that far out). We also need to decide how many nights we want to stay (1, 2, or 3) before our 18 day cruise, so we can book our flights when they become available in the next two weeks.

It's obvious from the discussion here that, for one night, the Fisherman's Wharf hotel would be preferable. What about for three nights. Is Fisherman's Wharf too out of the way for seeing the best sights of San Francisco?

Thanks.

We have reservations at two hotels, the Holiday Inn Express, Fisherman's Wharf and the Hilton San Francisco Financial District, before our cruise next Labor Day weekend (9/3/16), and obviously will need to cancel one or both of them (most hotels aren't available for booking that far out). We also need to decide how many nights we want to stay (1, 2, or 3) before our 18 day cruise, so we can book our flights when they become available in the next two weeks.

It's obvious from the discussion here that, for one night, the Fisherman's Wharf hotel would be preferable. What about for three nights. Is Fisherman's Wharf too out of the way for seeing the best sights of San Francisco?

Thanks.

Actually, I really like that Hilton--Financial District...We've stayed there many times...It sits right on the edge of Chinatown, so it is walkable to a lot of things--including lots of restaurants. It's a very short walk up Columbus to all of the great restaurants in North Beach. And the hotel itself is very nice...and it is in a very good neighborhood as well. I would never hesitate to stay there...

So, it is NOT as clearcut a decision as what the OP asked--Wharf vs. Union Square. This one may come down to where you got the better deal and whether you like Hilton or Holiday Inn Express...but either would be a good choice in my book.

Thanks.

Both of those hotels are excellent.

• 9 months later...

I realize this thread is an older one but am wondering about any comments on the Hampton Inn at Convention Center area and compare to these other two deemed good options. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I realize this thread is an older one but am wondering about any comments on the Hampton Inn at Convention Center area and compare to these other two deemed good options. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

IMO the Hampton Inn is in a area that becomes a bit sketchy at night. It's between 6th and 5th Streets on Mission; that part of 6th street would be called "skid row" in other parts of the country. Now if your looking to score some "stuff" this would be the area :cool:

The area is changing, slowly. A few blocks east towards 4th & 3rd would be the city's main convention center, Moscone Center and high rise condos; a few blocks west between 7th and 8th would be the new Federal Building and more high rise condos.

Funny how different forums have different "zeitgeist" if I may slightly misuse the word.

On TripAdvisor everyone would say Union Square over Fisherman's Wharf because FW is a schlocky tourist version of San Francisco without an ounce of authenticity about it.

If you have a budget in mind I can give specific hotels in the Union Square area. I usually stay at the Galleria Park Hotel, but in the 26 years I've had my office in San Francisco I've probably stayed in every major hotel in the City. My favorites are The Palace and St Francis when I want to sightsee and if I am up for just a football game, I'll stay on Nob Hill and the Fairmont, Mark Hopkins or Ritz Carlton.

• 3 weeks later...

We've stayed in both Union Square (King Arthur Hotel) and Fisherman's Wharf. The King Arthur was a nice hotel but it was a checkerboard neighborhood when walking. We didn't feel unsafe.....but it wasn't one that we preferred. We were in San Francisco for a week this past June (not for a cruise) and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Fisherman's Wharf (there are two and they're very close to one another....ours offered a free b'fast) and would stay there again in a heartbeat. Great location for everything. Not sure if you'll spend much time in the city - but if you do - it's money well spent for the 48 hour HOHO bus that includes the night tour.

My brother is a tour director and he takes allot of tours to San Francisco.

His hotel for preference where he can leave people on their own, is the Holiday Inn Express Fishermans wharf.

Fisherman's Wharf many people want to be on their own to explore the evening, even if they are on an organized tour.

We've stayed in both Union Square (King Arthur Hotel) and Fisherman's Wharf. The King Arthur was a nice hotel but it was a checkerboard neighborhood when walking. We didn't feel unsafe.....but it wasn't one that we preferred.

I've never heard of the King Arthur Hotel in San Francisco.

The highly regarded hotels of Union Square include the Clift, Grand Hyatt, Parc 55, St Francis, JW Marriott, The Rex, Sir Francis Drake, Villa Florence, Inn at Union Square, The White Swan, SF Marriott and more. It all depends on budget.

My brother is a tour director and he takes allot of tours to San Francisco. His hotel for preference where he can leave people on their own, is the Holiday Inn Express Fishermans wharf.

Not to be catty, but then I'd never want to book a tour with your brother to be stuck in a schlocky, touristy area full of bad chain restaurants or local restaurants past their prime that survive on the PT Barnum crowd.

A lot of tours may stay in FW, but that is just one more reason to avoid it.

I've never heard of the King Arthur Hotel in San Francisco.

The highly regarded hotels of Union Square include the Clift, Grand Hyatt, Parc 55, St Francis, JW Marriott, The Rex, Sir Francis Drake, Villa Florence, Inn at Union Square, The White Swan, SF Marriott and more. It all depends on budget.

Not to be catty, but then I'd never want to book a tour with your brother to be stuck in a schlocky, touristy area full of bad chain restaurants or local restaurants past their prime that survive on the PT Barnum crowd.

My mistake. King George Hotel

• 2 weeks later...

In mid-April pre-cruise we stayed 2 nts at the Grand Hyatt & it was very very nice. We ate in the hotel 1 night and Sears Foods another night, McDonalds for breakfast (LOL) 1 day & Sears for breakfast the other. Took a Vantigo tour of all over SF in a restored vintage VW van (Wonderful tour)! Used SuperShuttle vans from SFO to hotel, from hotel to ship & from ship to SFO!! (Both couples had been to SF several times prior to this trip.) It was a tossup for us too whether to pick Wharf area or Union Sq area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Didn't you just describe almost every single shore excursion?

Edited by CineGraphic

• 4 weeks later...
In mid-April pre-cruise we stayed 2 nts at the Grand Hyatt & it was very very nice. We ate in the hotel 1 night and Sears Foods another night, McDonalds for breakfast (LOL) 1 day & Sears for breakfast the other. Took a Vantigo tour of all over SF in a restored vintage VW van (Wonderful tour)! Used SuperShuttle vans from SFO to hotel, from hotel to ship & from ship to SFO!! (Both couples had been to SF several times prior to this trip.) It was a tossup for us too whether to pick Wharf area or Union Sq area.

Hi Cruisin Kay,

Just sent you a friend request (I may have more questions for you, lol) I was wondering about the SuperShuttle vans you used here. How much was it pp to do all that? That sounds like something we could use for the exact same transportation destinations. What time did you give them for getting off the ship and were they waiting? I was wondering if there was a bunch of them sitting there waiting for people anyway??

• 3 months later...