Gem Drydock?

jkneern

For the Gems upcoming dry dock, are they adding anything new or just general maintenance?

Gem's drydock is for scheduled mechanical maintenance and for implementing the rest of NCL's NEXT program improvements like many other ships in the fleet (some Gem got already within the last year).

http://www.ncl.com/next

When is the Gem doing into dry dock?

This November. She was originally scheduled to go already last November but it was postponed by a year.

Edited by Demonyte

For the Gems upcoming dry dock, are they adding anything new or just general maintenance?

The main purpose of this dry dock is the required hull maintenance. You may find some changes in the specialty restaurants, and an Internet upgrade but most changes will be invisible.

They are completely redoing the bliss lounge and changing up the Italian restaurant and cosmetic work, this was said by the captain during the Q&A with officers last week.

There was other stuff but I can't remember.

I read they were renovating all the suites too :)

I find this very hard to believe. Gem is the newest of Jewel class ships and none of the others have had that done on their recent drydocks. They do maintenance to the cabins continuously and there have not been significant renovations (except for the new suites built) to any of the suites as long as I've cruised. Changing a carpet is of course easier to do while on drydock but that's about it.

All sounds okay....just so long as they don't do to the Gem what they did to the Star and the Dawn.....:mad:

Let's not bring this up again (mentions like these are what gets the rumour ball rolling again - somebody saw a mention somewhere and reports it in another thread, and... :)) - there is no need to do anything like that to Jewel class ships since they have had Haven and hence more suites from the beginning. Dawn class ships do not and those two ships needed to get more suites built to meet the demand.

Jewel class design is based on Dawn class but improved, just like Breakaway class design is based on Epic class but improved.

I find this very hard to believe. Gem is the newest of Jewel class ships and none of the others have had that done on their recent drydocks. They do maintenance to the cabins continuously and there have not been significant renovations (except for the new suites built) to any of the suites as long as I've cruised. Changing a carpet is of course easier to do while on drydock but that's about it.

Let's not bring this up again (mentions like these are what gets the rumour ball rolling again - somebody saw a mention somewhere and reports it in another thread, and... :)) - there is no need to do anything like that to Jewel class ships since they have had Haven and hence more suites from the beginning. Dawn class ships do not and those two ships needed to get more suites built to meet the demand.

Jewel class design is based on Dawn class but improved, just like Breakaway class design is based on Epic class but improved.

As per cruise critic article (not a personal opinion) :http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-4/articles.cfm?ID=521

Norwegian Gem will undergo redecoration of all Penthouse Suites and Horizon and Observation lounges. It will also get custom-crafted furnishings, wall coverings, original artworks, new lighting and new carpets. New furniture will also be added to Deck 11 relaxation area and Deck 12. The line's popular O'Sheehan's Bar & Grill will be added to Gem, and the line has hinted at other new spaces.

Edited by 2boyzmom

As per cruise critic article (not a personal opinion) :http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-4/articles.cfm?ID=521

Norwegian Gem will undergo redecoration of all Penthouse Suites and Horizon and Observation lounges. It will also get custom-crafted furnishings, wall coverings, original artworks, new lighting and new carpets. New furniture will also be added to Deck 11 relaxation area and Deck 12. The line's popular O'Sheehan's Bar & Grill will be added to Gem, and the line has hinted at other new spaces.

While I would be happy to be wrong with this (the suites on Jewel class ships are too colourful and "90s" for my taste), that sounds very off.

There is no Horizon lounge on Gem nor is Spinnaker Lounge called observation lounge almost anywhere. Deck 11 relaxation area does not exist either. And as already stated, Gem already has O'Sheehan's.

Edited by Demonyte

While I would be happy to be wrong with this (the suites on Jewel class ships are too colourful and "90s" for my taste), that sounds very off.

There is no Horizon lounge on Gem nor is Spinnaker Lounge called observation lounge almost anywhere. Deck 11 relaxation area does not exist either. And as already stated, Gem already has O'Sheehan's.

Google it- you will see it on may webpages, including NCL.

Google it- you will see it on may webpages, including NCL.

The Cruise Critic page you're citing is using the original 2014 information from NCL on the refurbishments, but apparently at some later date NCL decided not to refurbish the suites...because it wasn't done on other ships, which probably makes it unlikely to be done on the Gem.

If you have reliable links for references, please do provide them.

I have no time to dig but here you go. If it's not done, no big deal. It won't ruin my cruise looking at green carpet and pink chairs :)

http://www.cruiseshipdeckplan.com/ncl-norwegian-gem/

Norwegian Gem Deck Plans Review

NCL Norwegian Gem Cruise Ship Deck Plan COMNorwegian Gen cruise ship deck plan has a total of 1197 staterooms for 2394 passengers (max capacity is 2873 guests), served by 1010 crew/staff members.

NCL Gem ship has a total of 19 onboard dining options, with 11 lounges and bars, 3 swimming pools and 7 jacuzzies, 12 elevators.

NCL Gem deck plan 2015 changes after the refurbishment in October-November 2015 include:

•Penthouse Suites renovation

•lounge renovations (Horizon, and Spinnaker /observation lounge)

•new dining venue will be added (O’Sheehan’s Bar & Grill)

•relocation of Moderno restaurant (from deck 8 to deck 13) and replacement of the Blue Lagoon restaurant with the new O’Sheehan’s Pub (deck 8)

•relocation of the Cagney’s Steakhouse on deck 8, to make place for the new Brazilian restaurant “Moderno Churrascaria” and the Mojito Bar “Sugarcane” (replacing the Star Bar).

•new furnishings (custom-crafted), and new furniture for the relaxation deck areas (Deck 11 & 12)

•new wall coverings, lighting, carpeting

•many original art-works.

The Cruise Critic page you're citing is using the original 2014 information from NCL on the refurbishments, but apparently at some later date NCL decided not to refurbish the suites...because it wasn't done on other ships, which probably makes it unlikely to be done on the Gem.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm an optimist :)