Can We Please Stop Calling Zuiderdam...

Stevesan

:) Funny you should make this post.

I have wondered why folks always properly refer to Amsterdam as such; Rotterdam, Volendam etc etc

Why is Zuiderdam (the same number of syllables) referred to as Zuidy?

Doesn't really matter but I always notice it and wonder why people have renamed the vessel.

I agree. And in the same vein, I wish people would stop referring to Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport as FLL ... or the city of Fort Lauderdale as FLL.

I guess it's those same people who want to save time by shortening the name.

And while we're at it, what's with LOL --> do they want to save more time? Why not type out laugh out loud?

And LMAO ... well, you get the drift.

;)

I think using official abbreviations are fine and there is nothing wrong with commonly used 'internet language'. The internet is supposed to save time in all sorts of ways. FLL is the official abbreviation for Ft. Lauderdale Airport, the same as LAX and JFK.

But, 'Zuidy' is another story! What a silly demeaning nickname used by just a few people, who claim to love the ship, too. It grates on my very last nerve ever time I read it! :eek:

I guess I just don't like the "official" airport abbreviations, as I think the significance of the airport's name is more important than shorthand used by the airline industry.

If LOL and LMAO and the like are examples of 'Internet language' -- then isn't "Zuidy" also an example of Internet language?

After all, LOL is a shortened version of laugh out loud.

And Zuidy is a shortened version of Zuiderdam. Shortened, I would guess, for convenience by people posting on the Internet.

I've sailed on the Zuiderdam twice and never heard the term Zuidy used by any of the passengers. [Oops, pax]

I don't think Zuidy has come into use on this board as a means of shortening its name for internet use - I think it's an affectionate endearment to a few people who have a particular place in their hearts for that particular ship. While I find it a little cutesy myself and wouldn't personally use it, I can't say I let it bother me.

I don't think Zuidy has come into use on this board as a means of shortening its name for internet use - I think it's an affectionate endearment to a few people who have a particular place in their hearts for that particular ship. While I find it a little cutesy myself and wouldn't personally use it, I can't say I let it bother me.

You know, you've hit the nail on the head! It is a term of endearment to some people who've sailed the Zuiderdam!

"Zuidy" is being used in an affectionate way, and what this world needs is more affection and less contention.

I'm with you ... I wouldn't use the term either, but I don't let it bother me. :)

There are too many other things needing my energy -- why bother stressing over someone's use of a nickname?

I think I'll find something more constructive to do with my time!

Let's see....if we come up with other shortened names we have:

Amsty

Massy

Noory

Oosty

Prinsy

Rotty

Ryny

Staty

Veeny

Voly

Westy

Zaany

And of course.......Zuidy!

Some of these are OK but many don't work at all....not very catchy. Probably doesn't help that I even find myself referring to the Oosterdam as the Odam.

(NOTE: Substitution of "ie" for the "y" ending is authorized where it is more pleasing to the user. For instance, Westie appears better than Westy or Veenie instead of Veeny. Other versions are also acceptable but be cautioned.....Volenie is a mouth full.) :rolleyes:

Let's see....if we come up with other shortened names we have:

Amsty

Massy

Noory

Oosty

Prinsy

Rotty

Ryny

Staty

Veeny

Voly

Westy

Zaany

And of course.......Zuidy!

Some of these are OK but many don't work at all....not very catchy. Probably doesn't help that I even find myself referring to the Oosterdam as the Odam.

(NOTE: Substitution of "ie" for the "y" ending is authorized where it is more pleasing to the user. For instance, Westie appears better than Westy or Veenie instead of Veeny. Other version are also acceptable but be cautioned.....Volenie is a mouth full.) :rolleyes:

Now this is what I call creative use of time! Thanks for the laugh!!!

Actually, it's both. I love the ship and I enjoy posting on this board, although I don't always have the time to type out every word, and am grateful for your collective tolerance to my 'shorthand'. While I hope this thread is not specifically directed at me, I believe I may be the worst 'offender'. I consider myself an 'intermittent resident' of the ship I affectionately call 'Zuidy', and when I take the time to provide a prospective cruiser with information, I will continue to refer to her as such. At least I don't refer to her as 'Z'.

Candice <-- will be boarding Holland America's motor ship Zuiderdam for the sixth time in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on November the twelfth, two thousand five

Could it be that the Zuiderdam is considered to be a little more "glitzy" and a little less formal than the traditional HAL ships and therefore a few liberties can be taken with her name? You can call your dear Aunt Margaret "Maggie" and it is not disrespectful because you know and love her. But if you were writing about her, it would be best to use her proper name. There have been a few references to the O'dam or Oosty and the Westy, but all of the others seem to be referenced by their full name almost all of the time.

RevNeal - I'd never, ever call the Oosterdam the Big "O". :o I taught a course in college for three years called "Psychology of Women" and that conjures up a whole different meaning for me. (Don't ask how a guy taught that course.....let's just say I got through it somehow.)

Candy you make me laugh and since it is Monday and I am at work I need a laugh. I myself have shortened her name to Zdam but as the post a while ago goes for Zaandam so from here on out I will call them by there right names but there are some letters I don't understand, like HMO and MO and a few more I keep hoping I would figure it out but as yet I haven't.

Kathy

Apparently had pretty much the same conversation as RevNeal with the hotel manager when we were on the Oosterdam last year. I remember my wife getting a big smile when he mentioned the Big "O". This thread just reminded me that a few years ago, before the Oosterdam was launched, that our TA at the time was all excited that HAL was coming out with a new ship though she was wondering about the name. Her version? The Oysterdam. :eek:

but there are some letters I don't understand, like HMO and MO and a few more I keep hoping I would figure it out but as yet I haven't.

Kathy

MO My opinion

I think you might mean IMHO not HMO. HMO = horrible,bad,terrible health insurance :rolleyes:

IMHO In my humble opinion

I guess I hadn't really thought about it...but it does sound kinda cutesy, doesn't it? Kind of like a pet, or a cartoon character. I just started using it because I got tired of typing out "Zuiderdam" every time I used her name in the months before my cruise, and I couldn't call her "the Z" because of the aforementioned potential confusion with Zaandam. But if we're going to be sticklers for names-as-registered, that means spelling out every "Carnival", every "Norwegian", every "Princess", and perhaps most painfully, every "of the Seas". :rolleyes:

And I discovered on the Zuiderdam that nicknames must be fairly common among the crew...one of the entertainers referred to the Rotterdam as "the Rott". I assumed it was affectionate, but I can't be sure!

-Ben[jamin]

If one is looking for a shortened 'correct' reference to Zuiderdam, they may wish to use the one that HAL uses. Seeing as they named the ship, own the ship, operate the ship, I guess they are a legitimate authority on how to call the ship......they use ZUDM. If you don't wish to take the time to write out the full, proper name, perhaps this will be an option.

Archived