Norwegian Cruise Line Changes Service Charge Policy

LauraS

Sorry that is not how it will go....any time you need to request a refund by filling out a form you can be sure that the likely hood of getting a refund is slim. They will cite their service charges policy that you would have signed as the reason why they will not be issuing a refund.

This is most definitely subjective otherwise they would simply take the charges off your account when finalizing your account before departure. You now have to send in a request for a refund!

I don't know why you believe that you must clear all these hurdles, but you don't. Go ahead and ask NCL yourself. You do not have to take my word. In fact, I'd love if they cite their service charges policy. That makes it even more clear cut.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Guest_Ticket_Contract_03_2014.pdf

I implore you or anyone else that thinks there will be hurdles to contact NCL directly

It's not mandatory because then there would be no recourse if someone had a valid service issue that could not be resolved. The problem is people want to remove it just because they can or because they want money back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's unfortunate that some people just plain don't want to pay, but that's the price paid (no pun intended) to ensure everyone has an equal and fair recourse in the event of poor service.

As many folks have stated in this forum, normally providing small tips to room stewards and wait staff through out the cruise improves the service they provide. I was surprised at how big a difference it made!

Unfortunately, we don't have the discretionary funds to afford tipping this way, so we adjust the service charge to compensate. Instead of wasting time the last day of the cruise, last year we mailed the request to NCL after the fact, referencing the Guest Ticket Contract wording. About three weeks later and adjustment was made to our credit card. Emailing the request should make it even easier.

Thank you for your response, but not sure you answered my question. The poster said that NCL will deny claims for reimbursement. Has anyone submitted the new form and been denied?

I totally disagree with those that say you have to either tip upfront or as you go to get improved service. I've never done it and never will and have received exceptional service on all my over 35+ cruises. I leave the DSC/automatic gratuities (what ever the line calls it) in place and will tip over and above for excellent service at the end of the cruise. To me, treating someone with respect and giving them a smile works wonders, maybe that is why I've always gotten exceptional service without handing out $'s every time I turn around.

Edited by NLH Arizona

If it's a service charge, then make it mandatory and put an end to this nonsense. Why is it not mandatory? Because it originated as a replacement for tips. Until they make it mandatory, it is tips.

If they would make it mandatory, then we could end this discussion and move on to the discussion of "how much should we tip our cabin steward?" ;)

No, if NCL was to do that they are responsible for all tips to their employees. Stop believing everything NCL is selling you. For 20 years the Specialty restaurant workers were part of the DSC pool and now, because NCL decided, they are not. Its plain to see NCL is grabbing the cash and putting the pressure on us to make up for it.

You know, this can be settled real easily. All NCL has to do is give a full accounting as to where the Tips or DSC goes by percent. They won't because its clear as mud that they are hiding where this money is truly going.

It's not mandatory because then there would be no recourse if someone had a valid service issue that could not be resolved.

So, it's not tips, but it's a removable service charge. But not tips. I've never been to any other resort that charges a service charge that allows it to be removed.

Sorry, I disagree. If it can be removed at my request, then it's discretionary and the common term for that is a tip. You can call ti a service charge all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that it originated as tips and it remains to this day to be tips.

The problem is people want to remove it just because they can or because they want money back.

Yep. blame it on your fellow passengers, that's your right. I prefer to blame it on NCL for using a lousy compensation model for their employees.

No idea when they changed to these UK T&C. which look compulsory.

(will have to look in the 2015 brochure)

http://www.ncl.co.uk/helpful-information/booking-conditions/#!/helpful-information/booking-conditions/booking-conditions-2015-16-17/

part of 22.

If you have any concerns about the service you receive during your cruise, please let our Guest Services Desk staff know right away, so we can address any issues in a timely manner. In the unlikely event that we can’t resolve your issue, you can have the service charge adjusted on board unless this has been pre-paid. Where your service charge has been pre-paid before departure, refunds are not available onboard and you must apply for a refund, if applicable, after your return home by writing to our Guest Relations department

Edited by insidecabin

Most credit card will not over turn a charge unless it is in the last 45 days.

No argument there. My only point is that NCL has no grounds to deny the refund request and the CC company will eventually reverse the charge.

At least until NCL make the charges mandatory in the T&Cs

Edited by bjlaac

That's nice. But I didn't ask about service fees. Here it is again:

I was asking about tips.

The resort service fees are mandatory and that is made very clear when you make reservations (in my experience). The DSC is supposed to be discretionary and supposed to be in lieu of tips. And people keep asking who is going to tip the dishwashers and laundry people, hence my question about where, other than a cruise line, are the dishwashers and laundry people compensated with tips?

The tip is the DSC. A daily SERVICE FEE to help compensate the crew. Just another term for gratuity. Look at the NCL website and it will explain it to you what the DSC is for.

If you don't want to pay it then that's your choice. I on the other hand appreciate the employees that I don't encounter that do an outstanding job and hopefully NCL or other places that do charge a service fee give it back to help their hard working employees. To me $12 to $14 per day per person is very reasonable.

Do you realize I agree with you? That is my point - Under the disguise of collecting and distributing the tips that were previously paid directly to the staff, NCL is grabbing that money and using it to pay people that previously didn't get a share of it.

The whole model is wrong, especially for the low end workers (the model is probably good for the shareholders).

You know NCL is a for profit company and not a charity organization that provides cruises for donations or free. If they did they would be out of business a long time ago.

Do you realize I agree with you? That is my point - Under the disguise of collecting and distributing the tips that were previously paid directly to the staff, NCL is grabbing that money and using it to pay people that previously didn't get a share of it.

The whole model is wrong, especially for the low end workers (the model is probably good for the shareholders).

Exactly.....they are using these fees to pay an employee that was previously payed without aid from the cruiser.

If you don't want to pay it then that's your choice. I on the other hand appreciate the employees that I don't encounter that do an outstanding job and hopefully NCL or other places that do charge a service fee give it back to help their hard working employees. To me $12 to $14 per day per person is very reasonable.

I pay it and I agree it's reasonable for what we get.

What I object to is this ruse of calling it "discretionary" and basing people's pay on it - especially people who have little to no control over whether people pay it or not. It's just wrong for NCL to do it and the only reason they do it that way is because they can.

I don't know about that, but feel free to contact NCL. The policy hasn't changed. Only the procedure.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Guest_Ticket_Contract_03_2014.pdf

The contract states its discretionary but its never states HOW to reduced/ lower / raise and WHEN - in other words, its open- end language loophole that NCL took advantage of with the procedure, then doing a ping pong/ redirect with the FAQ. Go reread the contract again and realize what they just done - they pretty much screwed people over after the trip; when before, people who took advantage of the loophole just had to do it before it finalize on their credit card / account on the last day before disembark.

They pretty much pulled a 'Up yours' with no lube while making you wait and some DSC-removers think this is a good thing? You got screwed over - hard & nasty! Sure, you're get your refund back; but you to have wait a long time - sure they'll 'process' the form in 2 weeks but when do you REALLY get your refund?

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

So, it's not tips, but it's a removable service charge. But not tips. I've never been to any other resort that charges a service charge that allows it to be removed.

Sorry, I disagree. If it can be removed at my request, then it's discretionary and the common term for that is a tip. You can call ti a service charge all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that it originated as tips and it remains to this day to be tips.

Yep. blame it on your fellow passengers, that's your right. I prefer to blame it on NCL for using a lousy compensation model for their employees.

Tip or service charge or whatever you want to call it... It is still part of the workers wages and removing the DSC is meant only for people who have service issues that are not able to be rectified onboard. It is not meant to be removed just because someone wants to save money.

The contract states its discretionary but its never states HOW to reduced/ lower / raise and WHEN - in other words, its open- end language loophole that NCL took advantage of with the procedure, then doing a ping pong/ redirect with the FAQ. Go reread the contract again and realize what they just done - they pretty much screwed people over after the trip; when before, people who took advantage of the loophole just had to do it before it finalize on their credit card / account on the last day before disembark.

They pretty much pulled a 'Up yours' with no lube while making you wait and some DSC-removers think this is a good thing? You got screwed over - hard & nasty! Sure, you're get your refund back; but you to have wait a long time - sure they'll 'process' the form in 2 weeks but when do you REALLY get your refund?

I don't think anyone is getting screwed over because there was never a loophole to begin with. The When and Where was never defined. By reports here it has been handled differently ship to ship. Now each guest services department will follow a coherent and set plan.

So, again, the policy hasn't changed, only the procedure. Previously there was no set procedure. It was ambiguous. Now a procedure has been established. I hardly view a common procedure as being a bad thing, let alone the vulgar ways you paint the picture.

It's not mandatory because then there would be no recourse if someone had a valid service issue that could not be resolved. The problem is people want to remove it just because they can or because they want money back.

That is not how standard failure to deliver to contract works.

A compulsory charge does not preclude compensation for failure to deliver in fact that is how holiday contracts work in the UK(or elsewhere) for the compulsory cruise fare.

Assuming this is true(yet to have a full policy decision from NCL) we now have a compulsory service charge and a mechanism for compensation if the service delivery fails to meet your expectations.

I do wonder what problem this change is supposed to resolve.

I suspect it is not solving any problem, but a step in a direction.

I contacted NCL through their FB page and they verified for me. No guessing required. But why take my word for it, please go ahead and do the same.

A couple of weeks ago an NCL post on Facebook stated that the concierge and butlers were compensated from the daily service charge pool, which led to a real brouhaha here...for a few hours...until the Facebook post was deleted because the NCL employee who posted was, of course, wrong.

Bottom line...if you want to believe something their PR people post on Facebook, or an answer you get from their telephone customer service reps, good luck to you.

I suspect it is not solving any problem, but a step in a direction.

I think you are right.

Eventually, it will be a mandatory charge, clearly stated as such.

And then I suspect they will start to market themselves as the "no tipping" cruise line (Remember HAL used to do that?). It fits perfectly with "freestyling" - no need to worry about tipping, just have a freestyling good time...

And then eventually (just like HAL), tipping will return and we'll start to see discussions of how much people should tip...

I think you are right.

Eventually, it will be a mandatory charge, clearly stated as such.

And then I suspect they will start to market themselves as the "no tipping" cruise line (Remember HAL used to do that?). It fits perfectly with "freestyling" - no need to worry about tipping, just have a freestyling good time...

And then eventually (just like HAL), tipping will return and we'll start to see discussions of how much people should tip...

You still going to have that discussion about tips with or without the DSC. that will never go away.

UK T&C "on line" today(posted earlier ) say adjustable on board, if not prepaid.

What they are for, who pay them, who gets them is not the issue.

It is the contractual requirement to pay them has changed from a discretionary charge that you chose to pay or not to a compulsory charge you must pay before you get off the ship.

UK T&C "on line" today(posted earlier ) say adjustable on board, if not prepaid.

What they are for, who pay them, who gets them is not the issue.

It is the contractual requirement to pay them has changed from a discretionary charge that you chose to pay or not to a compulsory charge you must pay before you get off the ship.

If you booked through the UK/ EU website /reps - You have protection regarding this situation because under the UK/EU contract, its very specific regarding how, whom and when to resolve this.

Its the ones that booked through the US that got the problems! There is no specific 'Who / How / When' in the US contract. Zilch, None, Nada - Super big difference between the two NCL regions.

In other words, you and others that booked through UK/EU can rest easy knowing you have protection due to your Contracts on DSC. People that booked through the USA-NCL? That's a different story.....

I''ll choose to believe a corporate spokesperson over someone like MrsPhoenix that claimed there will be negative repercussions against guests (that person has been on one cruise ever, and a different line) or someone like Maywell who claims NCL is "punishing guests".

Stop and think about it for a moment. If there's an endemic service issue on a particular ship NCL would want to know, and SHOULD know, so that they can correct it, not so that they can "punish people" for reporting issues.

I believe what they referring to when discussing "punishing" people is directed at those that remove the service charges for no or a bogus reason (and I'm not sure that is the intent with the new policy, but it certainly does give corporate the opportunity to track this by passenger). Yes, NCL should know about service issues as long as they aren't made up (but of course if NCL insists on a service issue before issuing a refund I am sure that they will see their share of them;)).

Re: Originally Posted by canadianeh934 View Post

This is entirely mis-information. In the UK (at least) American Express. MasterCard and Visa will overturn any charge occurring in the last six months if found to be fraudulent.

No, if NCL was to do that they are responsible for all tips to their employees. Stop believing everything NCL is selling you. For 20 years the Specialty restaurant workers were part of the DSC pool and now, because NCL decided, they are not. Its plain to see NCL is grabbing the cash and putting the pressure on us to make up for it.

You know, this can be settled real easily. All NCL has to do is give a full accounting as to where the Tips or DSC goes by percent. They won't because its clear as mud that they are hiding where this money is truly going.

^^^^ 100% THIS!!

It is so obvious to me in so many ways that DSC does not go to the crew.

It goes to NCL, who keeps it to reimburse themselves for paying crew salaries.

The whole thing is a sneaky way to guilt people away from removing it.

Edited by pokerpro5

Re: Originally Posted by canadianeh934 View Post

This is entirely mis-information. In the UK (at least) American Express. MasterCard and Visa will overturn any charge occurring in the last six months if found to be fraudulent.

trying to avoid paying the Service Charge on the grounds of 'don't wanta' wouldn't pass as a fraudulent charge.