Fuel price

stev5138

I get that CCLs main objective is to maximize profits to appease shareholders. But it is a bummer that a huge operating cost is getting this cheap and the customer is seeing increasing averages costs for cruising.

I don't fully understand the futures market and the contracts that large consumers of fuels execute but man, it'd be nice to see some $$$ drop of cruise fares.

When this fuel surcharge thing popped up in the industry many years ago, the cruise lines did tend do apply an extra charge when oil prices went above a certain level (I think it was $70/barrel). But that didn't last long and subsequently, when oil prices were above that level, I don't think any of the lines attempted to add on a surcharge to a cruise booking - they just sucked up the additional cost (or maybe hid it in higher booking prices).

FYI, when I read the OP's post, the "Man of La Mancha" came to mind. ;)

Edited by joepeka

Business is great for the cruise lines why would you expect them to lower prices?

That is not how business operates.

when prices were very low a few years ago nobody exactly offered to pay more for cruises did they?

Correct. It's the same with the airlines. Air fare sales are a rare thing these days even with the millions they are saving on fuel cost right now. Shoot, Dominoes and PaPa Johns added a few dollars to their deliveries a few years ago when fuel prices escalated. Order pizza today with the low fuel prices and that delivery fee is still there.

After being victimized in the past with fuel surcharges. How about some sort of perks when fuel dramticaly drops. Maybe a couple of free drinks. Cmon CCL, share the bounty.

Did you ever pay a fuel surcharge?

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/settlements/11152/cruiseline-retro-surcharges.html#.VfhrEpFkfK0

After being victimized in the past with fuel surcharges. How about some sort of perks when fuel dramticaly drops. Maybe a couple of free drinks. Cmon CCL, share the bounty.

Did you know that the cost of fuel can go up in the next 3 months? Did you know, bookings are done many times a year in advance? :D

Businesses like Carnival don't say to themselves "Hmmm, our costs went down, so now we can cut prices and still make a small profit." They say "Prices went down, so now we are making a bigger profit!" As their shareholders would want them to.

What drives lower prices isn't a decrease in their costs. It's a decrease in their bookings. But bookings are doing just fine, thank you. So they can maintain or even increase fares. Fuel prices really don't drive fare prices, though they are no doubt critical to how much profit Carnival makes.

We did once

2007? 2008? Somewhere in there. Carnival was charging $9 pp for old bookings and just added it into the fare otherwise. IIRC many, if not all the lines did this.

Our water delivery added $2 fuel surcharge also at time. It's still there.

I just looked up our old booking confirmations. In 2008, we paid a fuel surcharge of $80 (for 3 people) to sail on the Miracle.

We did too for the Legend in 2008 but as I recall, that was around the time of the lawsuit and Carnival ended up refunding us the $70 fuel surcharge as OBC (they called it a "fuel supplement").

Edited by joepeka

Not sure where you read an opinion was asked for. I just made a statement. Even IHOP gives ya a free pancake. Just thought it would be a good will gift. Maybe even better than a ball cap. Just sayin.

IHOP gives a free pancake when their fuel costs go down? Love me some pancakes! Do I just ask the server for free pancakes?