Port change HMC to Nassau. Im Bummed :(

Ahall2015

Never, ever book a cruise just for a specific port....in the cruise contract it clearly states that they don't have to take you to any of the ports on your itinerary...they can change, rearrange, cancel, replace....at will.

Well, if you REALLY want to go to HMC, you kind of "have to" book a cruise to the specific port.

I would be p*ssed if they did that to me, but I would accept it in a mature manner as OP has.

My cruise for Jan. 3rd Carnival is changing us from HMC to Nassua. Happened to my cruise last Jan. on the Splendor as well. My PVP says it is not in the stars for me to see HMC. Booked a resort for a day in Nassau instead. It will end up costing me around $200 for me and my wife to have a beach day. If would have kept HMC $0 for a beach day, since neither of us drink.

There is no need to pay $200.00 to go to a beach in Nassau. Junakanoo Beach is free and very close to the port area. There are several other free beaches as well. If you do not drink, then you are really, really overpaying.

All these Carnival built and maintained port stops are much to do about nothing. Its a way for CCL to get more cash from you without giving you something in return. There are many better beach stops than any Carnival built port including HMC.

I'm not sure it's that different. We originally booked the Pride for Nov 15, 7 day cruise not going to HMC, then changed to Oct 18, 8 day cruise going to HMC and it was only $240 more for all 3 of us. It is "more" but there is an extra day and it is 1 month earlier so the weather will be nicer out of Baltimore. And the 8 day cruise actually worked out to cost a few dollars less per night than the 7 day cruise.

i will be on that cruise:D i am counting down the days i can't wait.

I understand that mother nature or a mechanical problem can cause an itinerary change and stuff does happen.

For them to change HMC for Nassau for neither reason would really suck.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. It is understandable to change an itinerary in the interest of safety. But, I suspect Carnival Corportion is changing the itinerary in the interest of padding their pockets. Carnival cheerleaders are so quick to throw a cruise contract in your face and tell you that you have essentially no rights. But, there are plenty of things in life that are legal, but just plain wrong anyways. I would be super annoyed if this happened to me, and would probably just book with a different cruise line given Carnival's boilerplate responses to inquiries. I hope OP can get their deposit back if they chose to change plans.

Thanks all for the understanding. No Im not complaining. A cruise is a cruise and I will happily take my 6 days cruising and have a wonderful time. Was just coming here to pout a little lol. HMC would be wonderful to experience.

Mulling over changing the cruise. It is so far away theres still plenty to choose from. Was just a little surprised since it is so far out. Im one of those book the cruise and immediately start planning all the stuff around it type of people. Hence the reason my cabana was already booked also :)

Keeping my fingers crossed that Amber Cove doesn't get cancelled as well ;)

Nassau is a good port with many more options than being on the ship's "private island." Many beaches, historical sights, Atlantis, shopping, ... Well, different strokes for different folks. Of course the cancellation option is available for anyone who is dissatisfied.

Edited by taxwiz

All these Carnival built and maintained port stops are much to do about nothing. Its a way for CCL to get more cash from you without giving you something in return. There are many better beach stops than any Carnival built port including HMC.

I totally agree. If there had to be a switch, I'd rather have HMC swapped out for Nassau than Amber Cove. The Puerto Plata area is the pits, and the shopping corral Carnival constructed there is indistinguishable from the shopping mall at Mahogany Bay. The only saving grace to Amber Cove would be to take a long ride to Sosua or Cabrete.

Another poster mentioned Junkanoo Beach as being free and close to the port in Nassau, but IMO, Cable Beach while a bit further away is so much nicer.

YMMV, that what makes these boards fun.

Nassau is a good port with many more options than being on the ship's "private island." Many beaches, historical sights, Atlantis, shopping, ... Well, different strokes for different folks. Of course the cancellation option is available for anyone who is dissatisfied.

The problem is so many cruises go to Nassau that after about 10x had enough.

HMC is a much nicer place to visit.

I totally agree. If there had to be a switch, I'd rather have HMC swapped out for Nassau than Amber Cove. The Puerto Plata area is the pits, and the shopping corral Carnival constructed there is indistinguishable from the shopping mall at Mahogany Bay. The only saving grace to Amber Cove would be to take a long ride to Sosua or Cabrete.

Another poster mentioned Junkanoo Beach as being free and close to the port in Nassau, but IMO, Cable Beach while a bit further away is so much nicer.

YMMV, that what makes these boards fun.

Surprised you are so down on Amber Cove before it is even open to us cruisers.

Hopefully we will enjoy it as much as HMC.

I would be bummed too. We will be in HMC in a little under 3 months, unless Carnival decides to change our itinerary too. :rolleyes: But this got me thinking...Will Carnival waive the $50 pp change fee for cruisers who booked Early Saver in this situation?

If you do it within a certain period (think you have 24 hours) believe they will.

Surprised you are so down on Amber Cove before it is even open to us cruisers.

Hopefully we will enjoy it as much as HMC.

Only because I vacationed in the Puerto Plata area at one of its better 2 star hotels. The ocean here looks like Coney Island, ugh! I've been to much much nicer parts of the DR like Punta Cana.

Take a look at the drawings and photos of the Amber Cove shopping corral and you would be hard pressed to tell it apart from any other mall that Carnival has constructed.

HMC (unless it gets developed more) is infinitely nicer than Amber Cove. JMO, YMMV. If you cruise to shop, then Amber Cove, Mahogany Bay, and other malls may very well be to your liking.

I am really surprised that Carnival would have cancelled this port already, being that it's so far in advance. Especially with no information really given. Maybe they have something planned and are not ready to tell yet? I'm not trying to start rumors, I just find it odd.

If that's somewhere you were really heart set on going, I would cancel and rebook on a different cruise. There's no reason you can't. You are well ahead of final payment.

Never, ever book a cruise just for a specific port....in the cruise contract it clearly states that they don't have to take you to any of the ports on your itinerary...they can change, rearrange, cancel, replace....at will.

There's probably one person out there that books a cruise just for Nassau (they all go there) and has NEVER missed :) I have never heard of a ship missing Nassau, has anyone else?

Yeah, I agree, I'd be bummed to lose a beach day and end up in Nassau instead.

Per above, HMC is a private cruises ship facility.

Both Holland America and Carnival ships use HMC.

When there is a scheduling conflict, the HAL ship goes to HMC and the Carnival ship is normally sent to Nassau.

LuLu

OP's cruise was originally scheduled to visit HMC on Dec 9 2016. As of today, according to the cruisetimetables page, there is no ship scheduled for the 9th. Maybe HAL has something in the works?