Missed ship... Can I board at first Port of Call?

landlady1952

That sucks. I hope you are able to catch up with the ship and enjoy your vacation.

It amazes me that with all the money the cruise industry has today they still haven't been able to lobby the right people in congress to pass an exclusion to a 100+ year old law (PVSA 1886, Jones Act 1920). They (all ocean liner companies) must have done something to piss someone off in the U.S. capital. You would think that the economic benefit would outweigh other objections to not having U.S. flagged vessels.

There have been several attempts to revoke, change the PVSA. The most recent was rejected because of the new, more strict requirements being proposed. Among them: all cruises must make a foreign port stop of at least 8 hours; and the number of foreign port stops must equal the number of US port stops on any given itinerary. In some cases an overnight foreign port stop was required.

Be aware that the provisions of the PVSA also are applied to airline travel (although they have their own law). That's another reason that the changes aren't being made. It's all about protecting the USA money flow.

It's actually because of a death in immediate family. Scheduled to sail Sunday. Funeral us Monday. Could make it to Boston on Tuesday, first port of call. Would lose 100% of cost of cruise if I can't pick up in Boston. Thanks everyone for your input.
I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope things work out as well as possible under the circumstances for you. We just cancelled a cruise last week because of a life threatening illness in our immediate family, so I understand how stressful an illness, or death, in the family, coinciding with an already paid for vacation can be. Best wishes. And again, I'm sorry for the loss of your family member.

It's actually because of a death in immediate family. Scheduled to sail Sunday. Funeral us Monday. Could make it to Boston on Tuesday, first port of call. Would lose 100% of cost of cruise if I can't pick up in Boston. Thanks everyone for your input.

Sorry for your loss. Maybe you can get Carnival to be flexible. They were not with us under similar conditions but luckily we had insurance. I'm hoping for the best possible resolution for you.

I too am sorry for your loss. It is an unfortunate occurrence.

I am going to suggest you carefully read the section in Carnivals FAQ regarding your situation. Additionally if you do speak to someone that "ok's" boarding in Boston I would request the permission in writing.

I have to agree with Shmoo that this will be a violation of the PVSA. Where is the first foreign port stop. Unfortunately, cruise ship reps are pretty clueless about this law and don't even call it by the correct name. (Jones Act is cargo)

As others have said, get what they tell you in writing.

Edited by crzndeb

This is all you will get in writing from carnival

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/541/~/selling-one-way-cruises

Any guest wishing to join the ship because of a legitimate travel delay (i.e., mechanical or weather related delay) may do so subject to any Jones Act or port restrictions.

Cruise-Only guests, or those with independent air travel will be responsible for any and all travel expenses incurred, including the $300 per person Jones Act fee. Guests will be charged the fee upon boarding the ship and can pay with a credit card, cash or on their Sail & Sign card. Carnival will assume responsibility for these expenses if guests are booked under our Fly-Aweigh program.

Carnival cannot guarantee that guests will be able to embark or debark in a port due to possible unforeseen weather conditions.

I have to agree with Shmoo that this will be a violation of the PVSA. Where is the first foreign port stop. Unfortunately, cruise ship reps are pretty clueless about this law and don't even call it by the correct name. (Jones Act is cargo)

As others have said, get what they tell you in writing.

Apparently, it's not just the telephone reps - the Carnival website calls it the Jones Act:

The Jones Act (also known as the Passenger Services Act) prohibits ...

Guests cannot pre-plan or purposely embark or debark a ship in a U.S port that will violate the Jones Act.

including the $300 USD per person Jones Act fee...

Travel Services will cover the expense of the Jones Act fee of $300...

Cabatoge Law is the term used in Europe - Similar to the Jones Act,...

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/427/kw/jones

Maybe, if they ever figure out what laws apply to them, they will call it what it is.

The answer is , "it depends". I believe if they allow this, it changes the entire cruise because the passenger roster has changed and the cruise line is subject to fines. Also, it subjects the entire ship to a more lengthy debark process since the departing roster does not match the returning roster. And yes, similar things happen when passengers are left in ports..maybe not the fines but the extra scrutiny.

oops

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

A few years ago my sister missed the cruise departure because she forgot her Passport and tried to go back to get it and was stuck in traffic. She was able to board 2 days later in Puerto Rico at no additional cost besides the cost of a one way flight to P.R. My suggestion is the one where you keep calling Carnival until you find someone that is willing to help you and not charge you the 300.00 fee. The way Carnival usually operates it should not take long to find someone to accommodate you. Good Luck

A few years ago my sister missed the cruise departure because she forgot her Passport and tried to go back to get it and was stuck in traffic. She was able to board 2 days later in Puerto Rico at no additional cost besides the cost of a one way flight to P.R. My suggestion is the one where you keep calling Carnival until you find someone that is willing to help you and not charge you the 300.00 fee. The way Carnival usually operates it should not take long to find someone to accommodate you. Good Luck

The difference is boarding in PR is the not the same as boarding in Boston. Plus it's really irrelevant what any rep on the phone tells you. It's how it's handled when you actually try to board the ship.

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/booking_procedure/TheJonesAct_ThePassengerServicesAct.htm

The Jones Act (also known as the Passenger Services Act) prohibits ships of Non-U.S registry from embarking and debarking guests at two different U.S ports. Such travel would constitute point-to-point transportation between two U.S ports, which is prohibited on foreign flagged ships.Note: Puerto Rico and the U.S Virgin Islands (St. Thomas; St. Croix; St. John) are not in the category of U.S ports under this act.

Edited by DaytonCruiser

I was under the impression that P.R. is considered U.S. soil which would make it the same as Boston. Also the day between leaving NYC and arriving in P.R. was a sea day. But then again I could be wrong it has happened before.

Cruises departing/arriving in Puerto Rico are exempt from the PVSA.

EXCEPTIONS

Transportation of Passengers Between Puerto Rico and Other U.S. Ports—46 U.S.C. § 55104

An exception to the PVSA permits non-coastwise-qualified vessels (vessels not qualified to engage in the coastwise trade) to transport passengers on voyages between ports in Puerto Rico and other U.S. ports until qualified U.S. vessels are available.

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/pvsa_icp_3.pdf

So, while San Juan is considered a US port, it would be allowed for someone (at least a couple of years ago) to "pick up" their cruise there.

As I noted, many times, cruise lines currently are opting not to allow people to catch up to the ship (even in foreign ports) due to the extra processing required for changing the cruise from a "closed loop" to a "foreign itinerary" cruise

Edited by Shmoo here

The $300 fee is a US Gov't penalty.

Please report back to the thread. Although this is not Carnival's call, hopefully you will be able to board.

This is up to the CBP (US Custom and Border Protection). They could be lenient or they could deny boarding. It's up to them.