Beds on Princess?

beaconlight

All the years when people complained so much about hard Princess beds, we were happy as we like firm mattresses and never found them to be so bad as described.

We did have one cruise only, where one of the mattresses was not good at all. It was sagging badly from side to side as I recall. Point was, it was nothing like we were used to on past cruises.

A word to a housekeeping supervisor/manager and it was swapped out after that first night. No problems after that. And I think they swapped BOTH out as a matter of fact, when only one was an issue. Just one more thing that makes us loyal and happy customers.

Now I am concerned again. After enduring beds that felt like sleeping on a concrete slab, we started carrying a 2" topper in a space bag fitted in the top expanded part of one suitcase. Our steward's eyes always widened when we opened it up. Then we encountered better pillow top mattresses on the past few cruises so left the topper home

Now we are booked on the Star (older ship) in a mini-suite and the thought of ten days back on the concrete slab, has DH and me thinking of the 2" topper again.

What do you think? Should we take a chance or just shrink up the topper and take it with us?? The vacuum is usually available in the hallway if needed

We've packed air mattresses; the kind that one takes camping, not the floating kind for a pool. It takes some of the edge off the hardness but still not a perfect solution. Our next cruise is 15 days and we will be packing it. Fortunately we are not flying to the port.

Now I am concerned again. After enduring beds that felt like sleeping on a concrete slab, we started carrying a 2" topper in a space bag fitted in the top expanded part of one suitcase. Our steward's eyes always widened when we opened it up. Then we encountered better pillow top mattresses on the past few cruises so left the topper home

Now we are booked on the Star (older ship) in a mini-suite and the thought of ten days back on the concrete slab, has DH and me thinking of the 2" topper again.

What do you think? Should we take a chance or just shrink up the topper and take it with us?? The vacuum is usually available in the hallway if needed

They have been in process of replacing mattresses for some time now. I doubt the one on your Star voyage will be the original one from the first time she sailed.

I am worried to! :( Going on our very first cruise on February 2016 on the Golden Princess and both hubby and I have bad backs. Are the beds really that bad on Princess?

If I had known I would have booked with another cruise line.

Having a comfy bed is important to us. Perhaps I should bring a pillow mattress topper which we have in our caravan.

I've sailed on the Star a few times and I've experienced both my best and worst mattresses. If you get a bed with the new pillow-top mattress, they are pretty nice (I sleep on a Simmons Back-Care Pillow-Top at home).

My last Star Princess cruise was in March of 2015. I shared a cabin with my aunt, so the beds were split into the twin set-up. My bed had the new mattress and hers had the old one. Her mattress was at least two inches shorter and hard as a rock. She put up with it, but I would have requested to have it changed out.

My dad's bed was so bad, that he put in a request to have the mattress changed out. There were a few extra mattresses on board, so Princess was able to accommodate him.

The Star Princess really is a "crap shoot" as to whether or not one will get a new mattress or an old one.

I am worried to! :( Going on our very first cruise on February 2016 on the Golden Princess and both hubby and I have bad backs. Are the beds really that bad on Princess?

If I had known I would have booked with another cruise line.

Having a comfy bed is important to us. Perhaps I should bring a pillow mattress topper which we have in our caravan.

Of course that's a matter of opinion. Some people think the beds are comfortable and some don't. So how does one answer that question? "Yes, the beds are that bad" or "No the beds aren't that bad." Do you ever stay in hotels? Did you prefer one hotel bed to another? As for booking another line--go do a search for bad beds on any of the other forums here and see what happens.

My last Star Princess cruise was in March of 2015. I shared a cabin with my aunt, so the beds were split into the twin set-up. My bed had the new mattress and hers had the old one. Her mattress was at least two inches shorter and hard as a rock. She put up with it, but I would have requested to have it changed out.

My dad's bed was so bad, that he put in a request to have the mattress changed out. There were a few extra mattresses on board, so Princess was able to accommodate him.

Whenever our mattress is uncomfortable we get a queen size pillowtop pad. Even when we had to split our beds in a quad cabin on a month long cruise, our steward folded it for my twin bed. :)

I have never had an uncomfortable bed on any other cruise line. I have never had such an uncomfortable bed in a hotel, at least not in the past 20 years. I also don't spend more than 10-15+ days in a hotel like I do with cruising. Lumps and sagging mattresses are not subjective. They are a fact and Princess really needs to address this problem.

I have never had an uncomfortable bed on any other cruise line. I have never had such an uncomfortable bed in a hotel, at least not in the past 20 years. I also don't spend more than 10-15+ days in a hotel like I do with cruising. Lumps and sagging mattresses are not subjective. They are a fact and Princess really needs to address this problem.

I guess you have had bad luck. I haven't had a bad mattress on Princess in years. The last one was on the Golden about five years ago. I've been on her three times since and had a good mattress each time. So I guess if you go by my experience alone (and not yours :rolleyes:) you could say the beds on Princess are very comfortable. I'll revise my previous answer, then, to "No, the beds on Princess aren't that bad." :p (Mattresses without lumps and sag are not subjective.)

That's a very good suggestion. :)

Hopefully you can view how they did it...the pillowtop pad is much better for us. :)

We made the mistake of having an obstructed OV on the Golden & after a couple of near head bumps split the beds...we'll never again get a configuration with upper bunks protruding from the wall. :(

I have no idea why this attachment got inverted. :o

image.jpg.7ac1ad22025f86d8dbe2b3ef17727a82.jpg

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hopefully you can view how they did it...the pillowtop pad is much better for us. :)

We made the mistake of having an obstructed OV on the Golden & after a couple of near head bumps split the beds...we'll never again get a configuration with upper bunks protruding from the wall. :(

That's funny! I just turned my laptop upside down and then I could view the attachment the correct way.:D

I guess you have had bad luck. I haven't had a bad mattress on Princess in years. The last one was on the Golden about five years ago. I've been on her three times since and had a good mattress each time. So I guess if you go by my experience alone (and not yours :rolleyes:) you could say the beds on Princess are very comfortable. I'll revise my previous answer, then, to "No, the beds on Princess aren't that bad." :p (Mattresses without lumps and sag are not subjective.)

Never having a "bad mattress" and having "very comfortable" mattresses leaves a lot in between.

My experience so far with Princess has been with the Star, The Golden, The Grand, and the Sea Princess. I'm sure there are comfortable beds on these ships because I know that the mattresses have been replaced from time to time. As I said earlier, only once did we have an OK bed and it was on our most recent Pacific Coastal. It did have a pillow top but a very thin and worn down one.

BTW, once our steward offered to fold a pillow topper for one of the twin beds but only had one to spare. Hubby and I had to take turns every other night. We never sleep in twins other than on our cruise because of all the tossing and turning and not wanting to keep the other awake.

Crappy sleep makes me really cranky and I hate being that way on our vacations. I also don't want to feel like I need a nap every afternoon because I had a fitful 5 hour's sleep. See, I'm even cranky just thinking about it. LOL

:D I think I need to put all this talk about lousy beds...to sleep.

Just got off the Crown this morning and I have to say the mattress was very uncomfortable on one side and the opposite was fine. Hubby would get up during the middle of the night and sleep on the floor because his lower back hurt so much. My side was fine so I tried to switch but then I would also wind up having the same issue, though not as bad.

Just got off the Crown this morning and I have to say the mattress was very uncomfortable on one side and the opposite was fine. Hubby would get up during the middle of the night and sleep on the floor because his lower back hurt so much. My side was fine so I tried to switch but then I would also wind up having the same issue, though not as bad.

Which cabin?

27926-profile.png

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpgI still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar free ice creams)

This what I did on the Crown Princess in April. I previously mentioned in this thread that the steward added a folded duvet to the pillow top. It was still not comfortable. I travel solo, so I unmade the bed and doubled the pillowtop and then put the duvet on top of that. It wasn't great, but it was OK. That was in a Caribe balcony cabin. OTOH, I usually get a good mattress in a mini. Maybe I've just been lucky with mini's. I was on the Grand in December and had a decent mattress in a mini. My friends down the hall had the same category cabin and had a horrible mattress. They called hotel services and got their mattress replaced. I'll be on the Royal for 20 days soon, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a good mattress.

Edited by KruzPrincess

I guess I'm out of luck in an inside cabin huh? I'm on the Crown by the way

They are replacing all the mattresses on all the beds across the fleet. That's a a lot of beds and it take awhile. I was in an inside on the Crown in February, and the bed was comfortable. This idea that only minis and above have the good mattresses is a myth.

They are replacing all the mattresses on all the beds across the fleet. That's a a lot of beds and it take awhile. I was in an inside on the Crown in February, and the bed was comfortable. This idea that only minis and above have the good mattresses is a myth.

It takes forever.

I just returned from the Star on September 5 (inside cabin - as normal) and the mattress was the worst I have had on any cruise. And as mentioned, no matter how many toppers you add to a bad mattress - it doesn't help. It also doesn't help that the mattresses are about 6 inches thick to begin with so I can't imagine that they can be supportive for very long....

To add to the problem I couldn't seem to get a good pillow either. The cabin steward brought many - but all were either flat or so soft you could make them into a ball.

Overall, it was a rough week and I normally sleep like a baby on a cruise. :mad:

I have had wonderful mattresses on HAL too :)