Black tie

cfb345

No ,he will certainly not be turned away.

You don't say if this is your first cruise ? However, he won't be turned away from any of the onboard venues, but if it was me I'd feel a little uncomfortable in a light colour suit on a formal evening when the majority of the gentlemen will be in Black Tie.

Why not visit M&S, there are some reasonably priced 'dark colour lounge suits', or even splash out and invest in a Tux. You'll be hooked on cruising after your P&O trip :) and you'll want to make all evenings a sense of occasion.

Could anyone tell me if my husband will be ok on the formal nights with a mid grey suit and tie or will he turned away

He will be just fine, I don't wear black tie on every formal night, I wear a light grey without any issues...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for the straight answer saying no he won't, that's all I wanted not advice on where to buy a suit or my Hubble feeling uncomfortable, I assure you he won't do. I have read the forum and some of the comments about being disrespectful not adhering to the black tie , for the record my husband looks fantastically smart in the suit possibly smarter than some of the men in tuxedos in my opinion. All I wanted to know was if he would be turned away that's all and no it's not our first cruise .

Thanks

Thank you for the straight answer saying no he won't, that's all I wanted not advice on where to buy a suit or my Hubble feeling uncomfortable, I assure you he won't do. I have read the forum and some of the comments about being disrespectful not adhering to the black tie , for the record my husband looks fantastically smart in the suit possibly smarter than some of the men in tuxedos in my opinion. All I wanted to know was if he would be turned away that's all and no it's not our first cruise .

Thanks

The dress code is quite clear a DJ or a dark suit. This I think is quite broad a description most suits will be fine.

If you have been on P&O before you will know that on most cruises 95 % of men will wear a DJ. Personally I do not see much difference between wearing a DJ and a suit with collar and tie

Thanks

Well that's a bit of an ungrateful reply to my posting. I didn't suggest that your husband would feel uncomfortable or wouldn't look the part, I was referring to my self.

We all have an interest in cruising and that is what these boards are all about, 'sharing our ideas' to questions that have been posted.

You may have not appreciated my 'friendly' help and suggestion , but hopefully someone else reading these boards will.

This post is going the same way as the "Making a Complaint" thread. People ask a question and expect that one person will make an appropriate answer and nobody else will join in. The fact is that this is an OPEN Forum and many people feel that they can make a valid contribution. If people who ask a question don't like this then perhaps they should think twice about posting. There really is no need for these aggressive responses.

As has already been said a Grey Suit probably doesn't fall within the Dress Code but will be accepted but it isn't the norm. IMO Bellboy was only trying to point this out.

Seems to me the original question would have been better asked of P and O.

Just imagine on the Formal Night turning up in said suit, turned away and response well Cruise Critic Forum said it was ok.

P and O, as all lines issue a Dress Code, seems to me just adhere to it.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that he would not be turned away, but don't quote me.....😄

Firstly I must apologise if I have offended that was certainly not my intention,I am aware of how a forum works and have picked up many a good tip, it was just that I had asked a direct question rather than an opinion. And I am sure that the advice posted about where to buy a good priced suit will be read and followed up by someone , burtons also are offering a good deal as well!

Having always worn full tuxedo or black suit, dickie bow etc on previous cruises my husband just fancied a lighter suit this time for one of the formals and to be honest times are a changing and whilst it is lovely to see people in full formal attire I presume that they dress to please themselves and not others again this is only my opinion I don't worry about what people are wearing/dress code adhering , and as long as they don't go to the formals wearing trackie bottoms and a vest top everyone is there to enjoy themselves

Again I apologise for any offence I may have caused.

I don't think anyone was intending to cause offence. The position as I see it (after 18 cruises with P&O is this) - Yes the dress code says, DJ or dark lounge suit. Will your husband be turned away if he wears a light coloured suit - I would be very surprised if he was. However, what people were trying to make you aware of was that, I would say, over 95% of men will be wearing a DJ with the majority of the rest wearing a dark lounge suit. There will probably be a very few wearing a lighter coloured suit. I would say that if your husband realises this position and it will not bother him then go ahead and wear the suit. The majority of people on this site just want to help by offering their opinion to questions.

I have tried to make the position clear as I have experienced it. I am certainly not saying what your husband should do - it's up to him.

There won't be 95% wearing a dinner jacket, in my experience. A significant minority of those 95% will be wearing an ordinary black suit and white shirt with a bow tie.

And I'll be one of them :)

I'm leaving the tux at home this time (Transatlantic in October) and packing a lightweight business suit instead.

I found the tux, long sleaved shirts and cufflinks a bit heavy and uncomfortable last time. I like the idea of a short sleaved shirt under the jacket too - shock Horror. :eek: (I won't be taking the jacket off obviously ).

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether to go with a regular tie or a bow tie.

Regards

Mike

Could anyone tell me if my husband will be ok on the formal nights with a mid grey suit and tie or will he turned away

My other half is taking a Tux (first cruise, wanted to dress up!) and a navy blue smart suit which will do for some of the other nights. I cant see an issue with a grey suit though, as long as he looks smart and feels comfortable we are all on holiday at the end of the day :-)

If the OP has been on other cruises she should already know the answer to her questions. If her OH can't be bothered to adhere to the dress codes then that's fine with me, however a mid grey will not meet the dress code on formal nights. But, he will not be turned away.

As the OP says the times are changing, which I for one do not like. On my first cruise formal nights meant just that. After 6pm you could not go into bars or MD unless you adhered to the dress code.

People can make all the excuses they like, but formal should mean formal. Not a mix and match.

The only excuse anyone can make is if flying to join a cruise and the weight limits applied by airlines, which can make it difficult to decide which cloths to pack

If the OP has been on other cruises she should already know the answer to her questions. If her OH can't be bothered to adhere to the dress codes then that's fine with me, however a mid grey will not meet the dress code on formal nights. But, he will not be turned away.

As the OP says the times are changing, which I for one do not like. On my first cruise formal nights meant just that. After 6pm you could not go into bars or MD unless you adhered to the dress code.

People can make all the excuses they like, but formal should mean formal. Not a mix and match.

The only excuse anyone can make is if flying to join a cruise and the weight limits applied by airlines, which can make it difficult to decide which cloths to pack

I'm with you 100%

Dress code can have it's funny moments. One of my cruises was on the Artemis. After a long and very hot day out I decided to go to a bar for a nice cool drink and to load my photo's onto my laptop. Lost track of the time until a tap on the shoulder and the words of a waiter made me realised what the time was. It was 6.30 :eek:, I was sat in the bar wearing shorts, tee shirt and trainers, all of which had seen better days :rolleyes:. When I looked around I realised that it was a formal night and everyone was wearing their best outfits :eek:. I had to skulk back to my cabin, meeting the captain on the way. He just smiled when I said I needed a shave :rolleyes:

Wasn't actually going to bother to post a reply after having apologised but would just like to voice my opinion. I have been on other cruises and as previously stated oh has always gone black tie however this time wanted to wear the mid grey suit.

I and Hubble dress to please ourselves not others and are there to enjoy ourselves it is our holiday as much as anyone's, and I am sorry if people feel that it is wrong not to adhere completely to the dress code but I am not sure how what I or OH wear could adversely affect somebody else? There is a dress code but it is obviously ok with P and O that a mid grey suit is accepted, ( I have now checked) and if it's ok with them it's ok with me, I would rather see a man in a mid grey suit enjoying himself than a bloke in a tuxedo being miserable, I too respect others opinions, but think that if p and o are ok it then can't see why it bothers others. Life too short!

That's fine, but what will the next step be. Jeans and tee shirts or scrap formal nights.

As for being happy. I find it strange that someone has to wear a mid grey suit to enjoy himself. A dinner suit is just the same as a normal suit, except a different style. You still wear trousers, Jacket, shirt and tie. If someone already owns a dinner suit, there is very little reason not to wear it on formal nights, unless it's to make some kind of limp statement about the dress code.

In all my cruises I have never seen anyone miserable in a tux. In fact I have not seen anyone looking miserable full stop.

The above is just my opinion and life is to short to worry about someone who can't be bothered to follow dress codes.