Tux hire

Jetlagged787

I rented a tux when we went on Princess 5 years ago for our wedding cruise. It totally rocked got measured at tux place in Wisconsin . Order d it. Was on the ship in my closet before my suitcases arrived. Bad part is I can't remember what company. I thought Mens warehouse . Will check into it.

Plus it actually fit. I believe they have a seamstress on board to do any alterations you may need.

It's over 20 years since my last cruise on RCL and then I was able to hire a tux for formal nights.

Is that going to be possible on Summit please?

Yes - just click on this link

Cruiseline Formalwear - Celebrity Cruises

See MEN'S APPAREL on the right side.

If you will be on a Caribbean cruise, be aware that only a small minority of male passengers will be wearing a tux, but if you enjoy wearing one, by all means go for it.

Yes, you can rent in advance through the link on X's website. One piece of advice: try to get your room steward (or butler, if you're in a suite) to get your tux delivered to your stateroom as quickly as possible. It won't be hanging in your room on embarkation day -- like it would on RC. Try it on as soon as you get it, to make sure that it fits. If not, you'll have to get it sent out for alteration in time for formal night. That can be quite hectic.

You will be shocked at just how "casual" formal nights have become on Celebrity. Just a handful all "gussied up".

Depends on the cruise. Maybe for a Caribbean cruise. But on our Baltic and Med cruises we saw many men dressed in tuxes, and virtually all the rest in suits. Our Asia cruise earlier this year had a good percentage of men in tuxes, but not as many as the European cruises. Not very many were "casual" on any of these cruises.

Edited by SantaFeFan

DH has rented a tux on cruiseline formal wear for several cruises. It is convenient for him not to have to pack a suit, dress shirt & ties. He does bring his own size 13 EEE dress shoes because a EEE is not available.

Adjustments have had to be made to the tux fit on a couple of occasions but they were easily handled .

Decent price & cost covers up to 21 days I believe.

Yes - just click on this link

Cruiseline Formalwear - Celebrity Cruises

See MEN'S APPAREL on the right side.

If you will be on a Caribbean cruise, be aware that only a small minority of male passengers will be wearing a tux, but if you enjoy wearing one, by all means go for it.

I have used them on both Princess and twice on Summit and have been very pleased.

Thanks for all the replies. The only reason I was going to hire a tux was because I thought it was a requirement for formal nights.

It is a 7 night Caribbean jolly and I'll be a lot more comfortable in slacks and open necked shirt.

I would be prepared to be turned away from the MDR, in which case the buffet and specialty restaurants are all smart casual.

Not saying that you will be turned away, but it does happen.

What are you saying Banjo? Do they actually enforce the dress code on sailings from there?

The 2 times I sailed from Southampton, both on the Eclipse to the Canaries, most of the guests were from UK. What I noticed was, they took formal nights very seriously. Specially enjoyed seeing the Scots sporting kilts with a diner jacket. What surprised me even more was even during non-formal night dinners, some would wear a jacket and tie. Very different from a Caribbean cruise :D

What are you saying Banjo? Do they actually enforce the dress code on sailings from there?

I believe that the poster is saying that British passengers know how to dress. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

I am not sure what the price is to rent a tux, but I bought a used tux from a tux rental place and the tux was $90, a nice shirt was $5, bow ties $2. I added some really nice cuff links and pin buttons. Total price including alterations was $130.

If you are planning on multiple cruises, this might be the way to go.

Dave

If you look at a picture of old time baseball games, or lots of other things it is amusing how casual we have become. I think people behave differently based on their attire. We both like to dress up, have a tux I only get to wear on ships. I think in 10 years all formal nights on most brands will be gone and the fight will be over t-shirts vs golf shirts. Good for the scots and brits.

I am not sure what the price is to rent a tux, but I bought a used tux from a tux rental place and the tux was $90, a nice shirt was $5, bow ties $2. I added some really nice cuff links and pin buttons. Total price including alterations was $130.

If you are planning on multiple cruises, this might be the way to go.

Dave

DH rents one from Cruiseline Formal Wear so he does not have to pack one or even pack a suit for formal nights. For him it is about the convenience .

We have seen a surprisingly large number of tuxes on our Caribbean cruises (at least 50%) and on the Millenium, the Maitre d' was handing out jackets/turning people away.

DH has rented from Celebrity twice. The first time it was the nicest suit I have ever seen. The second time, the Calvin Klein option wasn't available. The suit was fine but didn't fit quite as well. He still will rent one, since it saves him having to pack clothes and shoes for formal night.

Agree that our (US) dress standards (for men in particular) have fallen drastically but that is the world we live in. I have rented tux's and have my own. The rental tux's were generally low quality and fit can be questionable.

You will get a poly shirt most likely not fine cotton and you will probably want to bring your own leather shoes anyway. So in my mind you are kind of dressing up in a waiter uniform if you rent (again this is my experience).

I brought my own tux on several cruises and the number of people participating by wearing formal wear was surprisingly low so I have forgone dragging my tux along.

Instead a well made wool dark suit with crisp white shirt and tie looks right in place and it offers some versatility during the cruise (you can wear your non formal shoes the white shirt and jacket at other times).

On the X, Princess, HAL, and NCL cruises I have been on you will be dressed better than 80% of the men with this outfit. JMHO and happy cruising no matter what style you select for your cruise.