Rum

Did you expect people to encourage you and support you in your quest to smuggle alcohol onto the ship???

Why not, plenty of people here are more than happy to tell someone how to smuggle soda on board. What's the difference? Both are listed as prohibited. The OP asked a fair question to which there are simple answers.

Yes you can :)

No you shouldn't :p

But the choice is yours. :eek:

Why not, plenty of people here are more than happy to tell someone how to smuggle soda on board. What's the difference? Both are listed as prohibited. The OP asked a fair question to which there are simple answers.

Yes you can :)

No you shouldn't :p

But the choice is yours. :eek:

Exactly!!!!! Funny how it is perfectly ok to smuggle on soda but alcohol....my gosh you would think they were asking how to smuggle on a bomb to let off on the ship! I don't care if staff are more likely to let soda on then alcohol, which is the usual response that comes up - it must be ok because they allow it - no it isn't okay, it is against the rules just like alcohol. The only reason they are more flexible on letting you through with soda is because they don't loose quite as much money on it.

We are purchasing drink packages this trip - myself the Premium and my DH the Select. DH is also going to smuggle a little bit of whiskey as he drinks mainly beer but enjoys the odd whiskey and I refuse to "share" my package (that's a whole other popcorn eating subject). The cruise line is still get more than enough money from us.

I purchase the alcohol package and I smuggle> I guess that means RCCL is making even more off me since part of the time I am drinking booze that I paid for before the cruise instead of the alcohol from the package.

I want a drink in my room when I want and without any planning or walking to a bar. I want to be able to offer a friend a drink when visiting me in my cabin. The same as I would when staying in a hotel on vacation. This room happens to have a better and ever changing view.

RCCL should have a new rule that allows people who have purchased the drink package to bring some booze or beer on. They would make more money since you wouldn't be drinking their alcohol the whole time. Oops I forgot the rule is for passenger safety. Wasn't that long ago you could buy a bottle in the onboard shop and for $10 more take it to your room.

Sorry to have created such an uproar.

Sorry you had to read all the negative, unsolicited comments!!

That was not such a nice welcome to Cruise Critic!!

I hope this thread did not make you want to never return or post here. Most of the members and the information here can be very helpful Most people here can understand the difference between a question and a way to bypass the the policies :D

Some people here like to over react or jump on the bandwagon :rolleyes:

Welcome To Cruise Critic. I truly hope you have a more enjoyable experience :) and a wonderful cruise ;)

Sorry you had to read all the negative, unsolicited comments!!

That was not such a nice welcome to Cruise Critic!!

I hope this thread did not make you want to never return or post here. Most of the members and the information here can be very helpful Most people here can understand the difference between a question and a way to bypass the the policies :D

Some people here like to over react or jump on the bandwagon :rolleyes:

Welcome To Cruise Critic. I truly hope you have a more enjoyable experience :) and a wonderful cruise ;)

What are you talking about??? The OP is not a newbie. They have been a member of cruise critic for over nine years!

Actually, there are plenty of bars on the ship that sell alcohol.

Best reply i have read regarding all this "Can I bring alcohol?" threats. Most Americans tip hundreds of Dollar extra but try to save a few Dollar on drinks. Actually all drinks bought on board also secure jobs and provide tips to staff. I would never carry all this bottles and cans with me if I am on vacation.

What are you talking about??? The OP is not a newbie. They have been a member of cruise critic for over nine years!

9 years shows the date they signed up....Some people sign up and don't come back for years... Look at their activity. 34 Posts! 34 doesn't scream a frequent participant.

I could make other comments on this matter but I am trying to be nice :D

Have a great day!

Edited by LilBlackDress

For any ones info I am Alaska Newbie only because that was the first cruise we went on in 2009. Have done one 5 night cruise in 2011 and will do one in 2016.

My hubbie likes the cruising, me, I am still undecided. I actually prefer all inclusive sandals vacations but for the truly great deal we got on this royal cruise that is why we are going. Wintering in Florida makes it nice to not have to fly to port. So no, I am not as experienced as most on this board. Only check it out when something is booked to go on, either wise seems to be too much drama. Again, thanks to posters who have more of a heart than others seem to have.

Wow, forgot I joined in 2006. We were supposed to do an Alaskan cruise with friends. Unfortunately my husband had a stroke that fall and we cancelled and were able to do our dream cruise 3 years later. Hence travelling with a scooter, Walker, luggage makes for an interesting trip. But, the two so far have turned out to be very nice.

Is it possible to put the small bottles of rum in your checked luggage?

Also a 12 pack of diet coke is better in carry on?

Yesterday, met a couple at friends YC gathering, who decant a single malt into two clean/empty red wine bottles (with screw caps), and just place into a carry-on when embarking. It appears this method has never failed.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Did you expect people to encourage you and support you in your quest to smuggle alcohol onto the ship???

I encourage and support you to smuggle alcohol. It is very easy, almost know planing and lithe risk of losing the booze. if you like to ingest booze much the same way you did while taking a vacation that involved a hotel stay, then you will have to smuggle. If you want the same convenience and ability to offer a guest a drink while visiting your cabin then smuggling is the way to goal.

When you used to buy a bottle onboard and then pay $10 I thought here is a company that treats adults as adults, doesn't feel the need to gauge the customer at every point and came up with a reasonable method for a guest to "legally" enjoy an adult beverage with little price gouging or inconvenience .

Some people smuggle alcohol on board, most don't. Of those that do, some succeed, some don't.

Smuggle, don't smuggle, I'm okay with either. What I'm not okay with is BS excuses as to why you might smuggle alcohol on board. There is one reason and one reason only to smuggle alcohol, and it goes something like this, "Screw you! I'm a cheapskate!". Granted, it's not the most compelling argument, but it's all you've got.

Drink up!

If you ask a question on a message board that involved breaking the rules in any form, and you get dozens of negative replies, what exactly did you expect?

Everyone has an excuse for breaking the rule, but the bottom line is always the same --- Rules and laws don't apply to me because I find it unjust. Everything is just a justification of that statement.

If you ask a question on a message board that involved breaking the rules in any form, and you get dozens of negative replies, what exactly did you expect?

Everyone has an excuse for breaking the rule, but the bottom line is always the same --- Rules and laws don't apply to me because I find it unjust. Everything is just a justification of that statement.

I agree with you 100 percent!

Someone earlier made a good point how the same people that say smuggling booze is wrong, will also make comments that bringing soda on is also not allowed but you can generally get on with it. To me it should be wrong is wrong.

I've hear of people say that they drink a certain kind of soda that the ship doesn't carry and that is why they bring it on. If I'm buying the drink package, can I brink on some Hard Root Beer (Beer) since the ships aren't carrying it? Seems like a double standard if I can't. :rolleyes: This is just a rhetorical question before anyone jumps on this.:)

Is it possible to put the small bottles of rum in your checked luggage?

Also a 12 pack of diet coke is better in carry on?

Yes, unless you have an absurdly small piece of checked luggage, it would be possible for you to put small bottles of rum in it. There's not guarantee that it'll still be there, when the luggage makes it to your cabin, but it's definitely possible to put it in.

Someone earlier made a good point how the same people that say smuggling booze is wrong, will also make comments that bringing soda on is also not allowed but you can generally get on with it. To me it should be wrong is wrong.

For the most part, those kinds of comments that "the same people who say X also say Y" are BS. It usually comes down to someone who's heard both seemingly conflicting opinions and is just assuming that some of the same people said both.

That said, I'm sort of in the line of thinking that it's okay to do things they let you do, and not okay to do things that you have to be sneaky about. So, that might apply hear. If you are openly bringing on a bottle of liquor, and they have no problem with you doing so, then that sort of trumps a rule in the fine print somewhere.

I don't think people who bring on their own soda/water are generally trying to hide it. Not that I personally bring any soda or bottled water onboard, but that's just because I don't drink a lot of soda, and I don't mind drinking the ship's tap water.