Live from the Westerdam's last 2015 Alaska cruise

sapete

It's 1:15pm and we're half way to Juneau. It's sunny Nd in the mid-50s. Before lunch Lynn spotted what we think were two Humpbacks and I was lucky to see Orca. The stern is the place for this.

Yesterday we boarded in the A group at 11:30 but instead of folks going to their cabins the crew was sending folks to the Lido so we headed up to the NL. Turns out the the USCG ran a no-notice drill and the ship lost about 90 minutes of prep time after the ship was "zeroed out". This was all good since there was "business" to be done in the NL and spread was enough to count as lunch. Once we were finished grazing Jules, our Concierge, let us know our suites was ready.

It seems like the yellow priority on the luggage tags worked because Anton, our solo room steward,showed up with our two follies at 12:45.

As you might have heard from Debbie, We hosted a small sail-away for our roll call group and folks showed up right after the safety briefing. And speaking about waterproofing this one was short--20might minutes from the third alarm to the Captain releasing us. The Captain took in line and we departed Pier 91 right at 4pm under most clear skies and 60 degrees.

We had MDR reservations for 6pm (open seating) and Jules was able to us the two-top in the act port corner. Last night will be our only night in the MDR since we're not "Gala" people and we like to keep it casual. My prince rib was spot-on and Lynn SId her stuffed chicken was tasty. Our wine hostess was at our table within 3 minutes and our dinner order was taken right after that. I will give this MDR experience an "above average".

After dinner it was up to the Crow's Nest for our traditional night-cap. Lynn goes for the 0010 and I stick to a classic Grey Goose Gibson. Drinks done and we we off to the room for the evening.

Doing a September Alaska sailing the biggest difference is the earlier sunsets and later sunrises. Sun doesn't until after 7am so we shifted breakfast from 6 to 7.

For Crew News--the breakfast card has a different design with better instructions but choices are pretty much the same. I will try to get a photo and email it.

Lunch was at the Dive In. Like the new menu and procedures. The pager sure beats standing line!

So, stepping out to the veranda to do some more whale spotting (Thar she blows!) Dinner tonight is at the Cannaletto, but I will keep an eye open on what folks are wearing for Gala night.:D

Pete

It's 8:37a and I'm up in the NL while Lynn is completes her morning routine, The laptop here makes posting this faster than from my Kindle Fire. When we left off I was headed out for more whale spotting and saw a few more in a pod. After that we enjoyed the Dancing with the Stars at Sea. Those folks were brver than I!

Happy Hour has to be had in the Ocean Bar becuase the Crow's Nest was closed for a private party:mad:. Dinner reservation in the Cannaletto were for 6 so we had time for a little shopping. It's our 21st anniversary tomorrow and I promised Lynn a new ring before the voyage ends. She want something called Kabana. Window table for two in the Cannaletto. We really enjoy the Cannaletto because of this, the best dinner views on-board. We both liked the new (to us) menu format of small and large dishes and everything we ordered was tasty. This is the only restaurant anywhere where Lynn orders desert. She always asks for a half-scoo of each gelato flavor! At dinner time we were cruising off the Queen Charlotte Islands and our dinner show was a double rainbow and a pod of humpbacks. It had everyone out of their seats with phone cameras out!

So, here's the Gala night dress report for the first night. Although I did not see inside the MDR, men in the Ocrean Bar pre-dinner and in other areas of deck 3 were dressed in almost every level of dress. The was a gentleman in a kilt with a mess jacket and full kit, at least a half dozen tuxes, many suits/sport coat and tie, dress shirts with tie and (as allowed) collared shirts with slack. So, it really appeared to be wear what you want and enjoy yourself.

After dinner we went to the Vista show where the dancers were great, the band professinal grade, but the singers were typical HAL mediocre.

This morning dawned with clouds and rain and 46 degrees. We're whale watching today with shooping after. We don't leave Juneau until 10:15p this eveining.

Tommorow is Galcier Bay so I probably won't post until later in the e

evening.

Pete

Thanks for the updates.

It is my understanding that there is a private group of vegans (diet of no animal products ie, no milk, eggs, meat, or fish) on board.

Here is the ad. http://www.vegancruiseplanners.com/rw/view/4394

I wondered if the menus / anything else is affected on your cruise.

Thanks & Enjoy AK

Sightcrr

To supplement Pete's Gala evening dress report, I did see one man in the MDR in an orange t-shirt. The most entertaining dress we've seen is the lady who was wearing a dragon around her neck yesterday. Today is a rat costume.

Debbie

Thanks for the updates.

It is my understanding that there is a private group of vegans (diet of no animal products ie, no milk, eggs, meat, or fish) on board.

Here is the ad. http://www.vegancruiseplanners.com/rw/view/4394

I wondered if the menus / anything else is affected on your cruise.

Thanks & Enjoy AK

Sightcrr

They must be a smaller group this trip. Plenty of meat and dairy available and menus have not been impacted as far as I can tell. There is also a quilting group on board. I don't know which group got us kicked out of the Crow's Nest yesterday afternoon.

Deb

Well, a little goof on the last post--I got ahead of mysel thinking that today was GB day.

Room service breakfast brought with it rain and cloudy skies which stuck around until halfway through our whale watching tour that gave way to sunbreaks and mid-50s. Saw numerous humpbacks showing off which made for a great trip. Allen Marine does a find job. The bus dropped us downtown where we enjoyed Fish (read Halibut) and Chips at the Hangar Bar and Grill as we watched the floatplanes return from their last trips. The Wdam is docked at the Franklin dock so we walked and shopped our way back to the shipped. Lynn was able to pick out the ring she wanted for her anniversary a day early![emoji3] it's a little before 10 and we're going to have a nightcap and watch the sail-away. Tomorrow IS indeed Glacier Bay day. Weather.com is saying for Gistavus 54, partly sunny, 10% rain. If so the AK cruise goddess is still smiling down!

Pete

Thanks KK!

The sun rose at 6:54 and it was a glorious day in Glacier Bay! Clear with wispy clouds and 45 degrees with a high going to 58! We were up in time to watch the rangers embark. The nearby mountain had their "terminal dusting" of snow, indicating the end of summer. After our omelettes we piddled around the room and I wondered down to the Future Cruise desk to get our next credits for our next two cruises.

We arrived at Lamplough glacier and much to my surprise we did not stop but just did a "low speed pass" and turned to port into Johns Hopkins Inlet. Our on-board ranger then told us that we were lucky in that cruise ships are only allowed into Johns Hopkins in late September after the seals are done giving birth since the inlet is designated a refuge for the seal rookery.

IMO the John Hopkins is the best part of GBNP. You pass by multiple examples of glaciers in retreat and directly ahead the Johns Hopkins Glacier appears flowing down from the peaks above. The brilliant blue-green water has a few little herbs with seals hauled up on them. We stopped about 100 yards from the glacier and the Captain began a slow rotation which allowed views for everyone. While we were pretty much act one a very nice calving occur. The best reason for the aft-wrap! We always order club sandwiches for lunch on GB day. I called about 10 for delivery at 12. It beats the Lido rush. We enjoyed lunch while watching the glacier received as we cruised back down the inlet.

As we approached Lamough for a second "low-speed pass" we broadcast the Oosterdam on her was up to Margerie Glacier.

Right now we're getting ready for Happy Hour and our anniversary dinner at the Cannaletto. Yes, Lynn likes her ring! Tomorrow Sitka and sea otters!

Hi Pete - Thanks for posting your Westerdam Alaska experiences. I really appreciate it! We'll be on the Westerdam next week, as she repositions through the Panama Canal. ( In fact, we'll be in your cabin :) )

Happy Anniversary!

We're taking care of 5190. Hope you have Anton as your steward, he' a great one!

Silver to Gold: The ring is Kabana--Gold with inlaid Mother of Pearl and scarlet and orange stone that I can't remember but she likes it!

The AK cruise goddess keeps smile with 54 degrees and partly sunny skies in Sitka. We were anchored off and the tenders started to run at 7. After breakfast the Allen Marine boat picked us up at the ship and we began our Sea otter adventure. Well, within 10 minutes it became a whale watching tour and at the end of 90 minutes the naturalist on board gave up counting at 20 different individual feeds in Sitka Sound! The 2nd half of the tour allowed us to see 2 large "rafts" of male sea otters. I know that others might disagree but I find Allen Marine a fine company and value is worth the price.

We were dropped at the tender landing and a 5 minute walk took us to the main street in downtown Sitka. We took the time to visit the Russian Orthodox cathedral and as we walked back down the street we hit the shops for some shopping.

Back on board around Noon it was up to the Dive In for a burger and a dog. After enjoying those I went on a successful bread pudding--yes, I am Team HAL bread pudding! Enjoyed the views from the veranda until 3p when w e sailed away. As we enter the area of the sound where see saw whales in the morning we were presented the best thing so far the week--a large humpback breached just right of our wake! This is why we have this suite!

We stayed in this evening and ordered room service off the MDR menu and we're watching a movie. Tomorrow Ketchikan and rain. We'll see.

They must be a smaller group this trip. Plenty of meat and dairy available and menus have not been impacted as far as I can tell. There is also a quilting group on board. I don't know which group got us kicked out of the Crow's Nest yesterday afternoon.

Deb

Well, it's hard to find vegan alcohol so my money is on the quilters...