113 laps

Gunther1

Ah, but what gym can you go to where you can watch the open ocean before you as you use the treadmill, or what track can you walk that is made of teak and has those lovely shippy smells and sounds, and the ships movement, and the ocean all around you?:)

Guess it's time to think about booking.....

(I know there was a lot of temptation there but I can't believe iOS spell check actually left that sentence alone):D

If only the person who chose the treadmills had this in mind! It is disappointing that they chose models that with screens positioned so that it blocks your view. (I am pretty tall so I'm sure it's the same for almost everyone using one.) Between this and the annoying music, I make less use of HAL's gyms than I would otherwise like to.

-

If only the person who chose the treadmills had this in mind! It is disappointing that they chose models that with screens positioned so that it blocks your view.
On my last cruise, I was really pleased to find that the treadmills on that ship had screens that could be folded down. That was a feature I made much use of.

My late DH and I always walked laps, as well. No matter how much we walked in ports, most days we went to Promenade and did our laps :) or used the treadmills in the gym.

Not anything to the extent described by some above, :eek: I must admit.

Good memories I'm sure, Sail. :)

There's just something about it, the sea air, the views...I would walk laps at sea even if it weren't good exercise. And it seems like the best times (and most exercise) were the times we had a bit of rough seas. :D

Not to derail the thread into a workout log/diet log thread, but honestly marathon exercise should only be done if you're preparing for a marathon or a competition (as this past weekend's Olympia) & you're behind with a huge contract riding on you placing well.

A person burns more calories in 15-20 of High Intensity Interval Training cardio compared to far longer Low Impact Steady State cardio. Periods of high intensity tempered with periods of low intensity fools our bodies into burning calories at the high intensity rate during the exercise and after the workout is completed.

Don't believe me?

Look at runners, who looks better/fitter a sprinter or a marathon runner? Sprinters are ripped and muscular, marathon runners are gaunt. Sprinter work is all HIIT and marathon runners are all LISS.

Every animal has a "gear" where it is moving along at a fair pace and burning few calories, it is a wonder of evolution. Doing Low Impact Steady State cardio engages that gear, you end up working but not working.

Couple that with a knowledge of how your body reacts to what is eaten/when that is eaten and you're able to be in fantab shape w/o losing hours doing LISS. Realistically you should be able to be in single digit body composition if you're true to diet and HIIT.

I walk one hour or 3.5 miles in the morning and another hour in the afternoon most every day on every cruise. Been doing it for years and just a part of a normal day.

Lot easier to walk for time than to try and remember to count the laps.

Give me some decent weather, some good shoes, headphones and some good music, and a nice hopefully uncrowded lower prom deck and I am a happy guy.

I dislike wind and cold so we walk the interior corridors of the ship. We start at our floor, walk the halls, walk down one flight of stairs and then repeat till level one. Then we start back up. By the end of the cruise we have met most of the cabin stewards - Lol!

Edited by Viv0828

As a long time cruiser and 7 miles a day lower prom walker I always get a kick out of the first few days of a cruise....invariably there are lots of people out on the deck and it appears from the brand new outfits that they have made some sort of newly acquired goal of walking a lot.....then as a couple of days go by the numbers start to decline. Normally after four or five days it sorts down to perhaps ten or so serious walkers who are out there day after day.

One cruise there was a guy who would come out every morning all dressed in upscale matching jogging outfit, brand new looking shoes, with a different color headband every day. He would walk about 1/4 of one lap then stand and look at the ocean for about ten minutes then disappear. Always wondered why he bothered getting so dressed up but hey to each his own and who knows maybe he was on his way to the gym?

Biggest gripe is people who seem incapable of reading or following signs on lower prom that say NO JOGGING. That and the occasional person who decides to stand at the front of the ship and smoke some nasty smelling cigar with the smoke drifting down that entire side of the walking deck.

But to all the folks who at least make an effort to get outside and enjoy the ocean air and views and get even a little exercise I say way to go.

I've had (COPD diagnosed over 1/2 century ago) and type 2 diabetes (from 2002). Most traditional gym activity is out of the question for me but my diabetes is controlled by diet and walking--no meds after the first 6 months.

Crystal, Cunard, and HAL ships all make my walking a pleasure. I keep a log of my walking. The final version of my log got lost in a computer crash but in the first 11 days of my Amsterdam World Cruise segment I walked 176 laps.

All of my blood sugar readings were right on the money.

Roy