Golden Princess 9/9 to Alaska

Ethel5

My DD and I arrived in SFO late due to storms. Then Super Shuttle said we didn't have a reservation and I whipped out my confirmation and chaos ensued as we watched people come and go. We were still waiting and the Rep told us that two drivers said they picked us up and delivered us to our hotel! After I got firm and stated he would put us on the very next shuttle, he stated he couldn't do that, but he did put us on the one after that. From the time we first checked in with the rep until we arrived at the hotel, it was 2.5 hours! So with the airline delay and the shuttle mash up, we didn't have too much time to see SFO.

We took a taxi from the hotel to Pier 27 with the intent to dump luggage and walk around. We did dump the luggage but decided it was too hot for much walking. So, we entered the terminal and were checked in immediately! It was only 10:30. We then were asked to enjoy the Elite lounge where coffee, juice and pastries were available. We chatted with others and then were allowed to board. After finding our cabin and leaving the carry on, we were in the fairly empty buffet by 11:15! Amazing!!

Our cabin was fine for the 2 of us with plenty of storage and hangers. The shower was very small but we managed to stay clean for the next 10 days! The cabin steward was good and kept the cabin clean and was friendly enough.

We signed up for early traditional seating and was given a table for 8. Conversation was difficult at best as there was a large ethnic contingent on board and they were quite noisy. We heard them and not our table mates. A very lovely couple from Oz invited us to change tables, so off to the MD we went. We took traditional 2nd seating and had a nice table for 4. Our Server and Jr Server were great and we had a good time. The couple from Australia and us clicked so well that we spent pretty much 3 meals a day with them and then went to shows and activities together! I'm not a fan of second seating-we had to rush through dinner a few times to attend shows we wanted to see.

Tim Donovan was our CD and he did a great job with activities. The Liars Club presentation was the funniest I've ever seen! So much so that he did a second Liars Club in a larger venue later in the cruise. The shows were good and the lectures were very well attended and informative.

Juneau was overcast and cold but we did the tour to the Glacier so my DD could experience it. When we returned to the ship it rained and we took off to the Red Dog Saloon. Good time there.

Ketchikan was sunny and chilly but we did a city tour and enjoyed it. DD had a bad cold so we took the FREE shuttle to Wal-Mart!!! It is the smallest WM I've ever seen! Good selection of Alaskan merchandise with Holograms. On the way back, the shuttle was full of crew and they are a very polite group - even off duty.

Skagway was warm and sunny while we did the railroad to the summit. Very enjoyable and we took lots of pictures.

Glacier Bay was awesome! I have been to Alaska twice before and find that the scenery in the spring is much more majestic.

Debarkation was the best ever! We chose to take the Princess shuttle to the airport. We were off the ship at 9:00, through customs and seated in no time at all. The shuttle departed promptly at 9:30 giving us plenty of time to check in and get something to drink etc.

All in all, a great trip and thoroughly enjoyed. It was a bummer to have to make my own bed this morning.:(