Oceana Balconies

Gillypat

Can anyone please tell me if there is any difference in size between the balconies on C deck compared to the ones on B deck on Oceana and which deck out of the two would be the best ? And on a middle Med cruise which is the best side to be on Port or Starboard .?

Can anyone please tell me if there is any difference in size between the balconies on C deck compared to the ones on B deck on Oceana and which deck out of the two would be the best ? And on a middle Med cruise which is the best side to be on Port or Starboard .?

They are all the same on Oceana unlike Azura where C deck are much bigger.

However they are not that big.

Oceana is a Fincantieri constructed Sun Class ship with balconies formed by cutting holes in the sides. Azura and Ventura have balconies which are formed by constructing shelves on the sides and these protrude to different degrees giving a variation of balcony sizes. Oceana has more or less flat vertical sides with cut outs. As such the balconies on the sides of the ship are same depth. If you want a bigger balcony you will need to go up to a Mini-Suite. I have done this and found the balcony is larger, although it is same depth the balcony runs further along side of ship a bit like a double fronted detached house. You get two pairs of patio doors to access it although one generally has stuff in front of it. Incidentally they also cut the two holes bigger for the mini-suites. In my opinion the Oceana Mini-suite with it's Whirlpool bath and layout offers the best Mini-suite in the P&O fleet.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Thank you so much for your observations.A pity the balconies are so small ,we had a lovely big one on C deck on Azura,so it definitely won't compare with that!! Never the less I 'm sure we will enjoy the cruise, would still appreciate some comments as to starboard or port side please.

Just to add a bit of information about the midship mini suites mentioned - the aft minis on Oceana are a completely different layout from the midship ones. The ones on C deck in particular are Huge! We have had a dozen people out on the balcony of C747. The midship ones are just like two balcony cabins joined together so the balcony is long and narrow whereas the aft ones' balconies are deep. The interior space in the aft minis is much larger too. None of the pictures on the ship's virtual tour of Oceana show aft minis, only the midship ones. We think the aft minis on Oceana are the best in the fleet.

Oceana is a Fincantieri constructed Sun Class ship with balconies formed by cutting holes in the sides. Azura and Ventura have balconies which are formed by constructing shelves on the sides and these protrude to different degrees giving a variation of balcony sizes. Oceana has more or less flat vertical sides with cut outs. As such the balconies on the sides of the ship are same depth. If you want a bigger balcony you will need to go up to a Mini-Suite. I have done this and found the balcony is larger, although it is same depth the balcony runs further along side of ship a bit like a double fronted detached house. You get two pairs of patio doors to access it although one generally has stuff in front of it. Incidentally they also cut the two holes bigger for the mini-suites. In my opinion the Oceana Mini-suite with it's Whirlpool bath and layout offers the best Mini-suite in the P&O fleet.

Regards John

I seem to remember that whilst the balconies were generally the same size the cut outs on C deck were smaller, a structural consideration I think.

Cb

We have been in cabin B632 and B628 and these both had small balconies, but remember well that we got the sun on the balcony most days from early a.m. that was in July. There were 2 recliner chairs and a small table. A bit cramped with 2 people out there, but acceptable.

Have a great time on a lovely ship.

I don't think there is a good or bad side. The ship doesn't always berth with the port side of the ship looking at land. Sometimes you would be looking the other way.

As regards when you are moving round..It you don't get the sun going out ,you would get it coming back. Swings and roundabouts.

Are you an early up who would like morning sun, or a late up, so you would get sun in the evening.

On our transatlantic we did not have the sunny side going out, but coming back we had sun nearly all the way back to Southampton.

Hi

The balconies on one deck are definitely smaller than others on Oceana - if you check out the photos you will see it. I am pretty sure that those on A deck and B deck are larger than on C deck and wouldn't book a C deck balcony.

Re the Med cruise - we did this cruise for one week April and loved the fact that we were on starboard for the first time on the Venice to Genoa 'part' of the journey ... we got the best views sailing, best sunny spots when docked and sunsets on the way up to Rome / Genoa. So much so that we have booked a starboard cabin for our Genoa to Genoa next August.

I imagine that we may not get the sunsets etc on the Genoa to Venice part of the cruise next time though --

Hi

The balconies on one deck are definitely smaller than others on Oceana - if you check out the photos you will see it. I am pretty sure that those on A deck and B deck are larger than on C deck and wouldn't book a C deck balcony.

Re the Med cruise - we did this cruise for one week April and loved the fact that we were on starboard for the first time on the Venice to Genoa 'part' of the journey ... we got the best views sailing, best sunny spots when docked and sunsets on the way up to Rome / Genoa. So much so that we have booked a starboard cabin for our Genoa to Genoa next August.

I imagine that we may not get the sunsets etc on the Genoa to Venice part of the cruise next time though --

My recollection having been on both A & C deck is that the balconies are the same size, it is just that A&B decks have larger cut outs.

Cb

I loved Oceana but not keen on the cut out style of balcony, much darker than the open balconies.

We like open balconies and have had many aft balconies that are full sun --- but we still love Oceana's balconies.. great place to put your feet up and very private ;-)

If you look at photos of Oceana you can see the balconies that are smaller ---check out images