Cruise insurance question

lstrong

I usually purchase my trip insurance through the internet and usually shortly after I book my cruise. My next cruise is almost a year from now. Question-should I wait to purchase insurance until closer to final payment on the off chance I would have to cancel? (I have 92 year old parents)

What do you do? Thanks, Laurie

You asked, "What do you do?" Here's my story:

I have always purchased cruise insurance within two weeks from date of booking, to cover not only my own pre-existing medical conditions, but also those of my elderly parents (even if they weren't traveling with me). Sadly, our 91-year-old father died the day my sister and I were scheduled to fly down to San Diego to catch the Oosterdam to Mexico, a few years ago. Because I had the insurance including his pre-existing conditions, I recouped the entire cost of the cruise. (Just fyi, Ii don't use HAL insurance).

Edited by middle-aged mom
clarification

A pre-existing condition can develop in the blink of an eye. Even something as simple as a change in medication---including a decrease because the patient is doing so well---can be deemed a pre-existing condition.

In order to be sure you are covered, it's always best to get insurance within the short time frame after booking.

I usually purchase my trip insurance through the internet and usually shortly after I book my cruise. My next cruise is almost a year from now. Question-should I wait to purchase insurance until closer to final payment on the off chance I would have to cancel? (I have 92 year old parents)

What do you do? Thanks, Laurie

We booked our April 2016 cruise in May 2015 and purchased the insurance that week in order for it to cover pre-existing conditions. If we have to cancel, then we'll lose the insurance money. But it's worth the chance to us.

You asked, "What do you do?" Here's my story:

I have always purchased cruise insurance within two weeks from date of booking, to cover not only my own pre-existing medical conditions, but also those of my elderly parents (even if they weren't traveling with me). Sadly, our 91-year-old father died the day my sister and I were scheduled to fly down to San Diego to catch the Oosterdam to Mexico, a few years ago. Because I had the insurance including his pre-existing conditions, I recouped the entire cost of the cruise. (Just fyi, Ii don't use HAL insurance).

As a first time cruiser with elderly parents I purchased the insurance at the time of booking. I'm not sure if it was through HAL or the TA. Where else would you purchase the insurance?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Where else would you purchase the insurance?

There are many companies providing travel insurance with a broad spectrum of coverage.

Many of us have used Insuremytrip.com to compare the various policies from the companies. They have information on many companies posted on their site, and they have telephone representatives who can review the various policies with you.

There are many companies providing travel insurance with a broad spectrum of coverage.

Many of us have used Insuremytrip.com to compare the various policies from the companies. They have information on many companies posted on their site, and they have telephone representatives who can review the various policies with you.

Thank you.

Check with your agent of choice as each may differ. I buy mine through USAA who is affiliated with Travel Insured. TI advises to buy within, I think, 15 days of initial deposit insuring only the deposit amount. They advise that as you make additional payments, let them know and they will increase the amount of insurance correspondingly. In my case, I make a deposit and then pay the balance at final so I would buy two increments of insurance.

The key to this, is this preserves your coverage for pre-existing conditions. The second is this minimizes your initial insurance payment as you are only buying insurance for the deposit. BTW, insurance is usually sold in $500 increments, it costs the same to buy insurance for a $1001 cruise as it does for a $1499 cruise.

We purchase our insurance through our TA. We pay for it on the day we book our trip. If we cancel before final payment, the insurance cost is returned to us so we have lost nothing but have been covered for the "pre-existing" condition clause. If we must cancel after final payment, we are covered. In our estimation, it is a win-win situation.

We buy from our TA using a company that does not provide the cruise or the travel agent themselves. We buy within the 10 day limit so that pre-existing conditions are met. I usually estimate the cost of flights and hotels or guides that would have cancelation fees and adjust the cost accordingly closer to the vacation. Remember that travel insurance also covers lost baggage, medical and or medical evacuation which can be a huge factor if you get sick or hurt overseas. If you are older you need additional medical insurance as Medicare pays nothing out of the US borders (including Canada and Mexico and Caribbean). In addition to travel insurance I carry MedjetAssist (hospital to hospital transportation) and Blue Cross/Blue Shield medical insurance.

Once I filed for a refund of $350 each when I got horribly sick (noro/like ) the night before our balloon over the Serengeti excursion (ruled a trip interruption since I could not go:( and no refund possible) That paid for 2 trips insurance right there. We had a travel companion who had a stroke and emergency surgery the day before a planned cruise of Greek Islands. She got most of her money back but unfortunately did not get her health back. A side to this was that our cousin -- the lady's cabinmate -- also got money to cover the expense of single supplement on part of the trip--Oceania did not choose to charge the supplement but they could have.

When some of our long trips now approaching $20,000 US in cost and much of that is non-refundable, I think it prudent to have the insurance. If you get sick at sea or at some remote location and have to be "rescued" the cost can run upwards of 50,000$ :eek: this gives me peace of mind and I figure any trip that I get nothing but peace of mind from the insurance is indeed a good trip! For small trips or lower cost trips in US where the medical insurance is covered by medicare/insurance supplement and most of hotels etc can be cancelled for no cost I "self-insure" -- I pay the costs of any losses.

I always insure my trip very soon after I book and make the initial payment due to pre-existing conditions. Had the 2016 WC booked and insured, but my Dh is now gone. Although HAL refunded his portion of the fare (I am still going), the insurance company refunded his portion of the insurance payment (it was Allianz)! I was floored and very pleasantly surprised as not a trivial amount of money. Will always buy insurance and now not worry about 'what if's' for a refund if needed.

You can check insuremytrip.com to compare cruise insurance coverage and prices.

Edited by take us away

As a first time cruiser with elderly parents I purchased the insurance at the time of booking. I'm not sure if it was through HAL or the TA. Where else would you purchase the insurance?

One thing people often overlook when buying "cancellation protection" from HAL is that you will get at most 90% of the cruise cost reimbursed; if you buy the standard plan, reimbursement is 80%.

Just had a couple on our Koningsdam cruise learn this the hard way, they hadn't read the fine print.

One thing people often overlook when buying "cancellation protection" from HAL is that you will get at most 90% of the cruise cost reimbursed; if you buy the standard plan, reimbursement is 80%.

For my last cruise I actually bought the HAL platinum plan as the cost and return were better for my circumstances at the time than full policies I compared on insure my trip. I ended up adding medical and evacuation with a separate policy for < $20.