Rebooking for Promo

kraft111

Hi all,

I have a cruise booked to Alaska for June 2016, but would like to rebook it to take advantage of the Explore 4. I selected a specific cabin and already have a popular excursion booked - do I need to cancel my current reservation and rebook it or is there any hope I can call and just get them to credit the free drink cards (which is the only benefit I care about)? Just wondering whether anyone's had any luck changing an existing reservation rather than completely rebooking. Thanks!

When you call HAL or TA, just ask for your cruise to be "refared" with the Explore4 promo included. That usually means that you will keep the same booking number and the other purchases will still be attached to it. if they give you a completely new booking with a new number then you will most likely have to repurchase your excursion.

Let us know if you are successful.

Hi all,

I have a cruise booked to Alaska for June 2016, but would like to rebook it to take advantage of the Explore 4. I selected a specific cabin and already have a popular excursion booked - do I need to cancel my current reservation and rebook it or is there any hope I can call and just get them to credit the free drink cards (which is the only benefit I care about)? Just wondering whether anyone's had any luck changing an existing reservation rather than completely rebooking. Thanks!

HAL policy when you want to add a promo like Explore 4 is to do it at the current fare. In some cases it's at little or no increase, or even less depending on the demand for your cabin at that time. If your cruise is in high demand, your fare can go up a bunch making adding the promo a bad buy, i.e., our suite for January, 2016 cruise went up about 50% from Sept, 2014 when I booked it until August, 2015 as they finished selling out. This is a little extreme, but re-booking to add a promo would have been silly.

HAL policy when you want to add a promo like Explore 4 is to do it at the current fare. In some cases it's at little or no increase, or even less depending on the demand for your cabin at that time. If your cruise is in high demand, your fare can go up a bunch making adding the promo a bad buy, i.e., our suite for January, 2016 cruise went up about 50% from Sept, 2014 when I booked it until August, 2015 as they finished selling out. This is a little extreme, but re-booking to add a promo would have been silly.

I have had this happen several times. Adding a promotion would have cost me more than the promotion's value! Happens more often when you book a cruise further out at what is "normally" a good price per day.

Ok, I called HAL and this is what they told me. The price of the cabin would increase $80/pp, so it would cost me $160 + tax to add the Explore4 promo and the OBC promo. So for $160+ I could get the free signature beverage package for one person, the dinner at Pinnacle, and $100 OBC (we have a verandah room). On the surface it seems worth it because obviously we'll use the OBC and if we do the dinner at Pinnacle we've pretty much broken even, with the drink package as a bonus. But we'll be off the ship all day on the three days in port, including dinner. My understanding is they assign you a date and time for dinner and you may or may not be able to move it, is that correct? I guess I'm just concerned that we may not be able to use the free dinner. I'd assume I'd go through more than $60 in drinks either way, but it starts to seem not worth the hassle. Does anyone have any experience with either the assigned dinner time or the drink package? Obviously everyone's mileage will vary with the drinks, just curious whether others felt like they got the most out of it. Thanks!

Ok, I called HAL and this is what they told me. The price of the cabin would increase $80/pp, so it would cost me $160 + tax to add the Explore4 promo and the OBC promo. So for $160+ I could get the free signature beverage package for one person, the dinner at Pinnacle, and $100 OBC (we have a verandah room). On the surface it seems worth it because obviously we'll use the OBC and if we do the dinner at Pinnacle we've pretty much broken even, with the drink package as a bonus. But we'll be off the ship all day on the three days in port, including dinner. My understanding is they assign you a date and time for dinner and you may or may not be able to move it, is that correct? I guess I'm just concerned that we may not be able to use the free dinner. I'd assume I'd go through more than $60 in drinks either way, but it starts to seem not worth the hassle. Does anyone have any experience with either the assigned dinner time or the drink package? Obviously everyone's mileage will vary with the drinks, just curious whether others felt like they got the most out of it. Thanks!
I can just relate my experience with the explore 4 last year. I was able to change time of dinner; I am not a big drinker but did experiment with some fancy drinks and even if I only took a few sips I didn't worry. I also got drinks from explorers coffee spot and bottles of water.

Do it. Its well worth the price difference and hassle. I bet you will be able to work out something on the Pinnacle dinner as they do try to work with you. Plus, as already pointed out, the drinks include specialty coffee, bottled water and soda. Further, its a great way to try something different - no loss if you do not like it. We used it for after dinner drinks and wine at dinner.

You should get the drink package for both people, not just one person. You will likely go through $60 in drinks, most alcoholic drinks are now $7.50 each so only 10 will get you more than $60 worth.

On my last cruise with Explore4, in May, they did not assign the time. I went to the PG, and was able to book a convenient time that was available. However my convenience may be different from yours. Expect to have a choice of fairly early or late times. The more popular times are usually taken by people who have pre booked and paid. Go to the PG as soon as you can after boarding to get the best time that you can.

We are sailing 11 days in January. We have two PG dinners in our drink package. I do now want to miss the night the MDR serves the lobster. If I book the PG soon after we board, hoe will I know what night lobster night will be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are sailing 11 days in January. We have two PG dinners in our drink package. I do now want to miss the night the MDR serves the lobster. If I book the PG soon after we board, hoe will I know what night lobster night will be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe lobster is served on a Gala (used to be Formal) Night in the MDR. You can check with Ships Services next week, 1‐800‐541‐1576, and see if they have received a schedule from the ship for your cruise. We are on the Oo'dam in January for 11 days and they have yet to open reservations for specialty dining as they are waiting on a schedule from the ship because many cruisers like to eat in the MDR on Gala nights, or so they told me about 10 days ago.

I believe lobster is served on a Gala (used to be Formal) Night in the MDR. You can check with Ships Services next week, 1‐800‐541‐1576, and see if they have received a schedule from the ship for your cruise. We are on the Oo'dam in January for 11 days and they have yet to open reservations for specialty dining as they are waiting on a schedule from the ship because many cruisers like to eat in the MDR on Gala nights, or so they told me about 10 days ago.

New set menus (silver first Gala night - gold second Gala night) have set menus with lobster and filet combo available as one of the choices on the "gold" night. We've now been through the new scenario three times and it's been the same each time.

I need more friends like you guys - friends who encourage me to spend more money and drink more alcohol! :p

I called and added both promotions with nary a problem, and you're right - we both get the signature drink package. I don't know why I was thinking it was only one of us. DEFINITELY worth the time and extra money to call and add it. One less thing to think about when we're on the ship, and an excuse to try different drinks. Thanks so much for the input!