April Cruise from FLL area

stevenikkij

Ok, so I need some advice on quite a few things for our cruise in April 2016. Some background, my hubby and I doing a RCCL cruise from Fort Lauderdale for our 20th anniversary. We have 2 other couples going with us as well. We will fly in the day before, looks like the flight we will take arrives from Baltimore around 1:55pm. We want to stay at a hotel nearby, go on an airboat ride in the Everglades and go have a pretty good dinner. Not fancy, just good food, and not far away. Next morning, we will go on the cruise. So here are the questions:

1. Should we rent a car(it was a car- now a van)because the other couple are joining us and its more expensive. We would split the price though. Or just take cabs and shuttles?

2. Any recommendations for a great airboat tour company?

3. Any recommendations for a good restaurant, we are leaning towards Bahia Mar possibly, if we don't rent a car, we will walk or take a shuttle?

Thanks for any help!!:)

If you are going on an airboat ride, you should rent a car because the everglades is not close to the port area, and it will cost a lot in cab fare getting there.

An excellent (nice casual) restaurant near Bahia Mar is Coconuts...it's just a couple of blocks away. They don't take reservations so plan to wait. The other restaurants by the beach can be really hit or miss on food and service. Maybe by April Bo's Beach House will have opened (Oasis was evicted recently) and will be good. It's also within 2 blocks of Bahia Mar.

If you are going on an airboat ride, you should rent a car because the everglades is not close to the port area, and it will cost a lot in cab fare getting there.

An excellent (nice casual) restaurant near Bahia Mar is Coconuts...it's just a couple of blocks away. They don't take reservations so plan to wait. The other restaurants by the beach can be really hit or miss on food and service. Maybe by April Bo's Beach House will have opened (Oasis was evicted recently) and will be good. It's also within 2 blocks of Bahia Mar.

I've definitely been thinking we will need a car, I do feel like it will be easier. With 3 couples, we can't even take one can ride, you know? Thanks for your advice too. I'm the "coordinator" I guess, I've been on lots of cruises and traveled more than both couples, so they are relying on me to "get it together" lol I like to plan, so that's ok. I just want to make sure we have a nice trip. 😊

Ok, so I need some advice on quite a few things for our cruise in April 2016. Some background, my hubby and I doing a RCCL cruise from Fort Lauderdale for our 20th anniversary. We have 2 other couples going with us as well. We will fly in the day before, looks like the flight we will take arrives from Baltimore around 1:55pm. We want to stay at a hotel nearby, go on an airboat ride in the Everglades and go have a pretty good dinner. Not fancy, just good food, and not far away. Next morning, we will go on the cruise. So here are the questions:

1. Should we rent a car(it was a car- now a van)because the other couple are joining us and its more expensive. We would split the price though. Or just take cabs and shuttles?

2. Any recommendations for a great airboat tour company?

3. Any recommendations for a good restaurant, we are leaning towards Bahia Mar possibly, if we don't rent a car, we will walk or take a shuttle?

Thanks for any help!!:)

I like the Bahia Mar but make sure your dates aren't over the Tortuga Music Festival. I think Blake Shelton is the headliner this year.

http://www.TortugaMusicFestival.com

Or if you like country music you may want to purchase tickets.

I love Coconuts!

Wow Thanks for letting me know that so I can be prepared. We will be arriving April 13. On the website it doesn't show a date, BUT found another website where it said based on last years event, could be 4/9-4/10. I do hope it's over before then, it could mke the hotel prices go way up.

Wow Thanks for letting me know that so I can be prepared. We will be arriving April 13. On the website it doesn't show a date, BUT found another website where it said based on last years event, could be 4/9-4/10. I do hope it's over before then, it could mke the hotel prices go way up.

I would go ahead and book something. It is usually mid April not early April.

I agree with Coconuts. Food is really good. I would not rent a car,traffic is terrible. You can also take the water taxi. Lots of restaurants on the route. You can catch it at Bahia Cabana which is next to Bahia Mar. Get the added bonus of drooling over all the homes and yachts on the water!

I just reread your OP and it looks like you want to take an Everglades tour the day you arrive?

The Everglades are a LONG way from FLL. At the very least an hour and depending upon which company, can be as far as two hours each way.

You are going to be pushing it getting there by 5PM which is after most of the last tours go out.

You may want to rethink this part of your trip.

Instead I would hop on the Water Taxi, ride around FLL, eat at one of our many fabulous restaurants, and ride until 11PM or so. Fort Lauderdale is incredible at night by water.

Edited by BlueHerons

• 1 month later...
I like the Bahia Mar but make sure your dates aren't over the Tortuga Music Festival. I think Blake Shelton is the headliner this year.

www.TortugaMusicFestival.com

Or if you like country music you may want to purchase tickets.

I love Coconuts!

I would go ahead and book something. It is usually mid April not early April.

The dates of the Tortuga Music Festival have been announced (finally :D): April 15 - 17, 2016.