Reykjavik Disembarcation Help Needed

Llandar

We are booked on the August 2016 Silver Wind London to Reykjavik cruise. The itinerary shows arrival into Reykjavik at 8:00am. Flights to the US (on Delta and Icelandair) depart at 10:30am. If the ship truly docks at 8:00 and the ship must be cleared, baggage removed, etc. and the drive to the airport is 45 minutes, then a 10:30 flight departure would be nearly impossible. I suspect the ship actually docks earlier in the morning and 8:00 is more of a disembarkation time. I called SilverSeas and the rep sticks by the 8:00 arrival. Does anyone have any first hand experience with disembarking in Reykjavik? This is critical in booking flights home the same day. Thanks!

No amount of first-hand experience will guarantee that you'll have the same experience. Ships get delayed, baggage can be confused getting off the ship, there may be an inadequate supply of taxis, etc. Too many moving parts.

Even if you walk off the ship at 8 AM and immediately get transport, this would be a very tight connection. Either find a later flight or spend a night in Reykjavik which is a great place to be "stranded" for 24 hours. Usually quite inexpensive, too.

Edited by Portolan

We came off the Silver Explorer in August. Ship was early to at 7am port but we did not start disembarkation until 8am. We were at our hotel by 9am (a 2 block walk). Really tough to make a 10:30am flight. Airport is a good distance from the port in Keflavik -- so 45 minute to 1 hour.

Would suggest a later flight there are many -- our flight to DC did not leave until 5pm.

I just took a look at your itinerary - marvelous. We have done this North Atlantic trip from London (or variants thereof) 3 times and it's a favorite. Iceland is a wonderful place that deserves extra time. Your cruise seems to end on a Wednesday; were I doing this again, I'd disembark in Reykjavik and spend the rest of the week somewhere in Iceland.

But you want to leave that day, so... As others have posted, I too would be nervous about trying to disembark in Reykjavik and make a 10:30 flight in Keflavik, and we are not afraid to cut things close when needed. The airport is at some distance from Reykjavik, and on a weekday morning the traffic in and around Reyjavik is not trivial. If you absolutely positively must leave for the US at 10:30 on that day, I wonder if you should look into disembarking Silver Wind the night prior (in Ísafjörður), then driving to Reykjavik to spend the night.

The flaw with that plan is that Ísafjörður is way out in the hinterlands of the Westfjords district. It isn't far as the crow flies (<150 miles), but the road follows the fjords so it's VERY long - the drive from Ísafjörður to Reykavik will take at least 5 hours. It will be exhausting. Not sure if you're familiar with driving in Iceland but it is NOT a fast process. The maximum speed limit, no matter how big the road, is 90 KPH. People obey the laws. It can be painfully slow. The geography does not lend itself to building straight roads.

Out of curiosity, why do you want (need) to leave that morning? Iceland air also shows a 5PM flight to JFK that day. I'd book that if I were you.