Cold Weather Flow Rider

dtay2827

I'll be cruising on Anthem at the end of November. This cruise leaves from NYC and the weather will likely be pretty cold. Does anyone know when the flow rider typically opens. Will it be open on day one or day two? Should I bring my wet suit?

Edited by dtay2827

Others probably will know exact details, but they won't run it below a certain temp, which I think is something in the 50s, so it will probably be day 2 when they open it up. I rode it on Navigator while leaving Galveston in the mid-60s, but others have posted about riding in colder temps than that. If you have a wetsuit you definitely should take it.

I'll be cruising on Anthem at the end of November. This cruise leaves from NYC and the weather will likely be pretty cold. Does anyone know when the flow rider typically opens. Will it be open on day one or day two? Should I bring my wet suit?

When I was on the Quantum, they ran it when it was pretty cold. The instructors were wearing wetsuits. ;)

It will likely be open the second day and stay open in temps down into the 40s. The wetsuit will likely only be needed day two and the last day. The rest of the time it's likely to be warm enough to not need it.

Biker, who was on the Q Flowrider almost everyday on the inaugural TA in Nov. with temps in the 50s.

Edited by Biker19

Every time we have been on a ship with a flow rider it has been

Open every day of the cruise....

Being from NY we thought it funny to see every other guy on our

Translantic last Oct/Nov in a wetsuit!

To be warm and lessen the impact of falling... Why not!

Also a rash guard is a good idea as well!

Yes all the RCI staff usually wear shorties and / or rash guards as well.

These threads always encourage me, for my Norwegian fjords cruise next May!!!!

I usually take a 1mm thin suit for Caribbean sailings in the winter, but may do a 3mm for Norway or possibly a shorty over my 1mm suit. Even when the weather is warm, I always wear a rashguard.

jc

Thanks for the info everyone! I also found a cruise compass from a quantum sailing last December. According to the schedule they were open on day one with a forcast of 38 degress. Brrr, probably short lines though.

Looking forward to getting some good stand up time. I'm glad they are still doing the advanced sessions. I had the flowrider to myself for 30 minutes on allure one time. I then had to share with one other person for the remaining 30 minutes. Totally awesome.

Thanks for the info everyone! I also found a cruise compass from a quantum sailing last December. According to the schedule they were open on day one with a forcast of 38 degress. Brrr, probably short lines though.

Looking forward to getting some good stand up time. I'm glad they are still doing the advanced sessions. I had the flowrider to myself for 30 minutes on allure one time. I then had to share with one other person for the remaining 30 minutes. Totally awesome.

Wow... I have had it to myself for maybe 5 minutes one time. Usually you share it with at least 6 to 10.

38 degrees. Wow. That is cold.

jc

• 1 year later...

I was in the Quantum of the seas for Christmas Cruise.

Highest air Temp during the whole cruise was 11C and lowest was 6C.

The Flowrider only opened once, on the second day (sea day) and never opened again after that. We had wetsuits and only lasted 10 minutes riding before we gave up from the cold and went to the Jacuzzis to warm up.

Winter Cruising and flowriding will be surely hit and miss, so best not to expect too much about flow riding during Winter season, unless cruising in the tropics

One thing I learned, is that they would have nets over the flowrider when it is closed, and the nets re off when it is open. That is a sure sign it is open. When I went up to check, the net was off, but no one was riding and the machine was off, I thought it was closed, but saw two RCL crew members chatting nearby and when I asked, they were the ones in charge and told me it's open. So keep in mind, if the nets are off then it is open, specially if you are the first rider there.

Confirming also RCL rule that if Air Temp falls below 10C they will close the flowrider, or not open it at all.

Arvin

On Quantum it was open everyday in March weather cool like high 50's (day 1 and last day). Only about 4 people did it they went thru a ton of towels ran between hot tubs/showers and flowrider. she loved it. They soaked towels in hot tub water and kept warm with them. wasteful I know but it worked.

as long as people what to do it and its not below my guess is 40 or 35 they seem to run it.

Unfortunately, they did not design the layout of quantum or any other quantum class ships (maybe) to have at least a hot tub nearby, in fact in quantum they didn't even have proper shower nearby, just a changing room.

When we got to do the flowrider in 10C or so, even with full wetsuit the walk/Run to the covered heated pool chilled my body so much that when I stepped in the pool it was heaven!

The soaked warm towel that Jenjer mentioned sounds like good idea, if only they had a hot shower nearby, the nearest source of warm water was all the way forward of the ship!

On quantum from China, it does not seem like too many people do the flowrider, so you almost have it to yourself, nice to learn new tricks.

^ Anthem sails to areas where it is always well above 10C (50F) - the only issue is the start and end of cruise where the temps in the winter could be below the point where the Flowrider might be closed.

That was when it sailed out of US. It's over in Asia now, could be warm or cold whole cruise now depending where its sailing out of...

We sailed Anthem last Christmas break. Boys had short wetsuits (didn't want full ones) and they rode with them. Unfortunately, there was a problem with the flowrider itself about 1/2 way through the cruise so it didn't matter about the weather, it was closed. Definitely disappointing for the boys.

Thinking about it for Christmas 2017 and glad they will have the suits. We were also told that it would close if the weather was below 50F.

Older DS said he was warm enough with the suit on so I guess I can only hope that the temps are moderate when we sail out.

My Apologies, I read this post while researching about flowriding in RCL in general, I hope we can continue discussing flowriding on ships other than Athem?

Athem only has just the one flowrider as well? same as Quantum!

The thing really with the 50F or 10C rule, is that it is up to us to brave the cold, I was lucky I had a full 5mm wetsuit (for scubadiving), I bought a Top wetsuit for my daughter and she was shivering after 2 turns and ran to the Jacuzzi! As mentioned even with full wetsuit the windchill with the ship going at 15knots chilled me to the bones! So maybe best suggestion is to quickly dry off near the flowrider put on dry clothes and run to the jacuzzi to warm up :)

Oh, not sure if it is just in Quantum, but the bottom surface of the flowrider was quite abrasive, my daughter and I suffered abrasions/scratches on top of our feet while boogie boarding, because we are used to using our feet to control our position. It might be the white paint of the RCL Logo or maybe dried up salt, but the surface was very rough.

Oh, not sure if it is just in Quantum, but the bottom surface of the flowrider was quite abrasive, my daughter and I suffered abrasions/scratches on top of our feet while boogie boarding, because we are used to using our feet to control our position. It might be the white paint of the RCL Logo or maybe dried up salt, but the surface was very rough.

Most likely the abrasions on your daughter's feet were caused by the surface mat at the top landing area. This landing surface is a hard plastic with no give. Hopefully they weren't too banged up and she healed up quickly.

Biker19, Thanks for clarification about the number of flowriders in Quantum class, I got confused with Quantum class and Oasis class ships!

A&L,

I don't think it was the Top mat, because I noticed the roughness when I am near the bottom part (when I am trying to slow down my decent so as not to overshoot). After checking the videos and photos of our rides, it might actually be the white paint of the RCL logo, which might have already started cracking and causing the abrasive surface.

When I noticed the pain I told everyone to not use the top of their feet anymore. Abrasions usually take a bit of time to heal, but it wasn't that big and we were okay by our last day, and it did not really bother us much during the cruise.

TTFN

Biker19, Thanks for clarification about the number of flowriders in Quantum class, I got confused with Quantum class and Oasis class ships!

A&L,

I don't think it was the Top mat, because I noticed the roughness when I am near the bottom part (when I am trying to slow down my decent so as not to overshoot). After checking the videos and photos of our rides, it might actually be the white paint of the RCL logo, which might have already started cracking and causing the abrasive surface.

When I noticed the pain I told everyone to not use the top of their feet anymore. Abrasions usually take a bit of time to heal, but it wasn't that big and we were okay by our last day, and it did not really bother us much during the cruise.

TTFN

I'm glad to hear that you caught it before it got really bad. Happy riding to you and yours. :)