Business Class: British Airways vs. Delta

Kenswing

I'm currently booked in Business Class on a Delta flight From Seattle to London with Princess EzAir. I just looked at prices and I can book on British Airways for about $300 per person cheaper.

The BA flight is on a 777 and the Delta flight on a 767. The BA flight is about a 1/2 hour shorter each way.

I've read so many negative reviews about BA's Business Class. Having to climb over people's feet if they're reclined to get to the isle, substandard meals, etc.

I've read a few negatives about Delta mostly relating to the tunnel your feet go into when reclined.

Can you guys shed some perspective on your experience? Thanks!

Definitely personal here. BA has a goal of packing as many people on their planes as possible. Delta is a tiny bit better. Is it $300 per person better - that certainly depends on your situation financially and also your mileage plans.

If you are traveling as a couple and want to interact during the flight, the DL 767 is one of the better flat-bed options. Take a pair of middle seats. The big disadvantages to this seat: 1)Your feet go into a "box" that is under the large armrest area of the row in front of you, so there is a bit of a "coffin" feeling as opposed to an open configuration for the foot area. 2) The tray table comes up from the large armrest, requiring that the "cover" over the tray be clear whenever deploying/stowing the tray. (It's the area with two "colors" on the armrest - silver and gray. See photo linked below) 3) One of the two seats is directly on the aisle, while the other has the armrest between the seat and the aisle.

For two photos of the seat try THIS LINK and THIS LINK. The combo should help you understand how your feet go under when in bed mode.

Have not flown the BA business product so I can't comment.

Can you guys shed some perspective on your experience?
One thing I like about the BA layout is that you're facing the person you're travelling with, so it's much more natural to have a conversation with them. But an aversion to "something different" underlies a lot of the gripes that you read online about it, especially the complaints about how to get out to the aisle. It's no more difficult than on many other airlines that don't offer direct aisle access in business class, and there are plenty of them.

Anyway, you sound like you're already talking yourself out of BA, so that's all that I will say!

Delta's is the more modern product, with every seat having aisle access, a real blessing on a 9 or 10 hour flight. BA's Club World is nice enough, but except for a pair of seats in the middle of the plane, most seat pairs have one facing forward and the other aft, which takes some getting used to.

If frequent flyer miles aren't important to you (and we're talking about a lot of miles) then I'd probably go with Delta in order to get the newer generation of business class seating. BA's product is nearly 20 years old (some tinkering a few years ago) but is now being bypassed by other airlines.

BA's service and catering are fine, but I find the business class cabins on BA's 777s to be less desirable than, in particular, the business seats on the upper deck of BA's 747s, which unfortunately no longer serve Seattle.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (shouldn't be a problem on this board :D )

Doesn't the OP also have to take into consideration the huge fuel fees that BA will impose?

Not if it's a paid ticket. The fees are included in the paid fare; they're extra on award tickets.