Question on Suite Choice? - Dawn Princess deck 9 or 10?

skrodle

Hi there-

So you all have been great in helping me be convinced that I need to try our NCL! :) thank you for your advice...

Now I am looking at some suites, and wanted to know if anyone had any advice on the Forward penthouse suites, there are two available to choose from on my cruise either 9002 or 10002... the balconies look huge, but no shade... anyone have advice on either of these? 9002 looks from the deck plan to have a larger balcony, smaller state room... 10002 has the smaller balcony/larger room... from the pics that I can see online, the balconies are definitely different sizes, but I cannot tell the cabin size.

also on Princess, any forward facing cabin, the balcony is locked when the ship is sailing... does anyone know if this is the case on NCL?

thank you!!! I really appreciate your help

Hi there-

also on Princess, any forward facing cabin, the balcony is locked when the ship is sailing... does anyone know if this is the case on NCL?

I can't help you with but one thing. Been on forward facing suites so know for a fact that the balcony is NOT locked while sailing. You may go out there anytime. Depending on where your cabin is, you may have to keep your drapes closed (sometimes jut keeping your lights off works) at night because the light interferes with the Captain in the Bridge.

However, I've been out on my cabin many a times with my drapes open at night but with my lights off in the cabin.

I, personally, would take a cabin a little bigger than the balcony a little bigger....but that's just me.

Harriet

Hi there-

So you all have been great in helping me be convinced that I need to try our NCL! :) thank you for your advice...

Now I am looking at some suites, and wanted to know if anyone had any advice on the Forward penthouse suites, there are two available to choose from on my cruise either 9002 or 10002... the balconies look huge, but no shade... anyone have advice on either of these? 9002 looks from the deck plan to have a larger balcony, smaller state room... 10002 has the smaller balcony/larger room... from the pics that I can see online, the balconies are definitely different sizes, but I cannot tell the cabin size.

Because of the way the shape of the ship's hull, the balconies on Deck 9 are supersized. We sailed on the Jewel in June in cabin 9500 and our balcony was over 300 sq ft. I believe that the staterooms on Deck 9 and 10 are the same size (maybe minor difference depending if you are directly under the center of the bridge where you get a "bay window" in your room). You can use your balcony day and night, in port and at sea. They ask you to draw your drapes at night to avoid impacting the bridge crew's night vision.

I have attached our Cruise Critic room review below:

Cabin: SE / 9500 Alaska July 2015 There are a lot of reviews on the pros and cons of front facing balcony cabins. As a veteran of many cruises, I can say that this was the absolute best room for for an Alaskan cruise. The Jewel has 8 forward facing penthouse suites and 4 owner’s suites. The rooms on Deck 9 have extra large balconies (300 sq ft). So, to correct some misconceptions, the front facing balcony is fully usable day and night, in port and at sea. If you stand right at the rail, it is a bit windy, but not intolerable. Because of the hull design, step back a couple of feet and you can enjoy the view with just a very gentle breeze. Or sit on your deck chair at the rail, the wind sweeps up and above you, letting you fully enjoy the beautiful Alaskan scenery. The walls right a railing are was waist high, allowing you to socialize with your neighbors. If you want a bit of privacy, just move back a couple of feet, and you are behind floor to ceiling walls. Each day, we sat for hours watching Alaska unfold around us. Neighbors and even the bridge crew above would point out sea life with our 200 degree view of sea in front of us. We saw countless whales, some fluking, some breaching. Some right along the ship. Many further out. On two separate days, we sailed through large pods of dolphins. Hundreds of dolphins swimming on either side of the ship. On the day we went to the glaciers, we spend the whole afternoon from the time we left Juneau until dusk watching the glaciers unfold in front of us. If you’re going to Alaska, spend a bit more money for a front facing balcony!

OP, your original assessment is correct. There is a website that allows you to overlay the decks and look at size. Deck 9 is a larger balcony and smaller room and deck 10 is larger room and smaller deck. We always go with the larger room. Deck size is ok for either one, so having a larger room is very nice. When you ask if they are exposed, are you asking about someone looking down on you? If so, when you are all the way forward on the balcony, you can be seen from above, if you stay closer to the cabin, you can't be seen.

They are great cabins, when underway it is breezy, but when sitting down the railing protects you from the wind. Others are correct that at night you need to keep the drapes pulled or lights off.

When you ask if they are exposed, are you asking about someone looking down on you? .

thanks so much for the information!! :) My question about exposed, I dont really care if people are looking down at me, more so about shade... i don't like to sit so long in direct sunlight, but I enjoy being on my balcony... sometimes its a win... other times i just have to apply lots of sun screen... but from what it looks like, there is no real over hang on either, except for a small lip... i cannot find a good pic of the front of the ship

thanks so much for the information!! :) My question about exposed, I dont really care if people are looking down at me, more so about shade... i don't like to sit so long in direct sunlight, but I enjoy being on my balcony... sometimes its a win... other times i just have to apply lots of sun screen... but from what it looks like, there is no real over hang on either, except for a small lip... i cannot find a good pic of the front of the ship

Here is a picture from 10 showing front balconies:

IMG_0314_zpso6gb0r2z.jpg