Flexible and Restricted EZAir prices - seem backwards

Native Floridian 26

Perhaps it's just the itinerary, but for a one way flight from Tampa to Rome for a Transatlantic, the flexible is as low as $500 and the Restricted is $2000 for the same flights. This seems like such a great deal on the Flexible. Why does it seem backwards as usually restricted fares are less expensive than non-restricted fares?

Edited by tzais01

Perhaps it's just the itinerary, but for a one way flight from Tampa to Rome for a Transatlantic, the flexible is as low as $500 and the Restricted is $2000 for the same flights. This seems like such a great deal on the Flexible. Why does it seem backwards as usually restricted fares are less expensive than non-restricted fares?

This is very typical for EZair to/from Europe when booked in advance - the flexible fares are less expensive than the restricted. It's been this way for years. Why? someone in the travel industry might have an answer. They are also often less than one can book directly with the airlines, also strange.

Our advice is to book it. We have encountered the case where a set of flights with a low fare seen before booking the cruise will have a different, higher, price after booking the cruise. According to Princess EZair reps these prices shown in the booking tool are totally out of their control, and are set by the airlines based on current availability, and some unknown arcane rules.

This is very typical for EZair to/from Europe when booked in advance...Our advice is to book it. We have encountered the case where a set of flights with a low fare seen before booking the cruise will have a different, higher, price after booking the cruise...

I have also read (and hopefully other CCers can confirm) that even after booking EZair, Princess can raise pricing on it until final payment is made.

I have also read (and hopefully other CCers can confirm) that even after booking EZair, Princess can raise pricing on it until final payment is made.

I have used EZAir many times and never have had this happen. I would think this would be a very bad business practice.

SO far none of my flexible EZAir fares have gone up once I booked .... let me clarify that ... none have been raised by Princess, even if the fares listed go higher. Whatever I booked at is the fare I paid.

Be sure, once you book flights, that you keep a close eye on them. Sometimes you get lucky and flex fares go down, and as long as it is prior to the 45 day mark, you can cancel and rebook at the lower fare. I just did that a few weeks ago. We originally booked post-cruise flights from Heathrow to Tampa at about $725 pp a few months ago, which we thought wasn't bad for a one way trip. Then someone on our roll call posted that the fares had gone down, so I got on the Personalizer and found that the same flights we had were now available at $200 less pp, so of course I did the cancel and rebook thing immediately. We are on exactly the same flights and have the same seats as we had with the original booking. I will keep on checking for further reductions right up to the 45 day mark.

Thanks everyone for the input and verification that yes the Flexible rates can be much lower. I can't wait until November when we can book for our 10/16 Transatlantic.

We also have never had flight prices go up after booking. I know it seems backwards but please - don't complain.

There was no complaining whatsoever. I was just asking a question.