Danube Update

JaynBNA

Been tracking Viking ships on Marine Traffic in advance of our trip departing next Friday. Seems like ships are being held up outside of Regensburg and 60 miles from Budapest. Any recent experiences from Viking cruisers on this Danube? Any concessions made for the extended bus tours? Is Viking doing anything special?

Thanks from a first time poster!

:)

Just arrived Budapest on the Avalon Illumination from Amsterdam. We made it all the way thru and it has been raining buckets here in Budapest all day. I must say initially we had been advised we could not sail into Budapest because of low water but would dock an hour outside of Budapest and bus into town. Our Captain decided to sail like a turtle and we arrived BP on time.... Hoping this rain and it's really coming down, helps!

Just got back from trip on viking var yesterday. Turned out to be an expensive bus trip. We had to stop in Regensberg , and had bus tours to Passau or Munich (3 hours on the bus). The next day we were transferred to the viking Tor after they had a broken engine fixed??? To keep us busy they bussed us to Melk(4 hours) and gave us a river tour/lunch and a tour of the abbey. Then they bussed us to Linz to meet the ship(another hour). We then learned that because of the low water we would not be able to get into Budapest. We were bussed the next day to Budapest(1 1/2 hours each way) had a short tour and lunch in a restaurant a had only 2 hours to walk around town. We had to leave the ship by 6:30(some people left earlier) the next morning to be bussed to airport(1 1/2 hours). Not a pleasant experience. All we saw was while docked was industrial sites.

Currently in Budapest, arrived on the Avalon Illumination sailed from Amsterdam 9/11 and "Sailed" (not bussed) into Budapest 9/24 on Thursday morning. We did not have any bussing and was able to sail thru the troubled low water spots but just before Budapest was advised of not only low water but a broken lock. Miraculously our fabulous Captain was able to sail us into Budapest when we had originally been told it was not possible and that we would "Disembark" an hour outside of Budapest and be bussed.

We got very lucky as did the Avalon Panarama who arrived Budapest the day after us, each cruise lines boats are capable of different low water navigation. Apparently Viking long boats need more/deeper water.

Currently in Budapest, arrived on the Avalon Illumination sailed from Amsterdam 9/11 and "Sailed" (not bussed) into Budapest 9/24 on Thursday morning. We did not have any bussing and was able to sail thru the troubled low water spots but just before Budapest was advised of not only low water but a broken lock. Miraculously our fabulous Captain was able to sail us into Budapest when we had originally been told it was not possible and that we would "Disembark" an hour outside of Budapest and be bussed.

We got very lucky as did the Avalon Panarama who arrived Budapest the day after us, each cruise lines boats are capable of different low water navigation. Apparently Viking long boats need more/deeper water.

Morning

Like JVilleGal we were on The Scenic Jasper September 2- 16 and had no issues at all with the Low Water Levels however did see and talk with a lot of folks that were on Viking ships and like some of you enjoyed expensive bus rides to get to various different ports and excursions.

Yes it is a shame that some of the ships are having issues but then again it isn't the fault of the various companies as they are relying on Mother Nature.

I can also side with those of you that are experiencing having to be bused here and there as that isn't what you have paid for or traveled so far to have to wind up in doing.

River cruising is a New Venue for most but it is also such a Great and Wonderful way as to see some of those out of the way places that most only ever get to read about.

There is certainly a lot of companies out there as to try and figure out which one is the Right One. I guess what it boils down to is The Time that you may want to be traveling and what it is that you want to experience while doing so as various companies offer so much more than others.

For us we were booked on a Viking ship key word is were as we cancelled On The Lif and rebooked with Scenic. They are truly a Luxury River Cruise Line in every sense of the word and in our case didn't want their Final Payment 16 months prior to departure. How insane plus if some of you are really doing your homework not to long ago The Better Business Bureau rating for Viking had been revoked and then seemingly overnite was back. Makes one wonder.

Anyways all I can say is I hope that all that are getting ready to go and for those of you that are in The Planning Stages I wish all a Great and Wonderful Time.

Yes the cruise is oh so very nice but it is the folks that you meet and the Friendships that are formed as those are The Ships that shall Sail Forever

Wishing All Smooth Sailings

Lisa and Gary

LoneStarCruisinCouple

We were not offered anything for our trouble, not even a free drink!!!

I was also on Viking Var/Tor and our biggest disappointment was not making port in Budapest and being able to see that wonderful city at night.

In defense, when many complained about missing the daytime cruise through the Wachau Valley, Viking arranged for a river cruise with lunch on the river cruiser "Austria" while we were in Melk at no charge. Also, when we arrived in Vienna there was an evening Opera additional excursion @73 euros pp that Viking made available to everyone without charge...and I did somehow get a free drink on our last night.

The CD did everything he could to work within the limitations. While we were not happy with the cruise overall,it was nature related and out of the control of Viking. We were told our recourse would be to complain to Viking Customer Service and negotiate restitution.

Thank you all for the updates/info. I'm hoping, doing rain dances, etc., between now and next week in hopes of improvements.

It was raining in Budapest Friday morning when we left and current weather shows rain.

Having just returned from that itinerary on Scenic, I expect that you will at least be bussed from your ship of embarkation to another ship in another port. However, the question is how far you will be bussed, how many times, and will there be any overnight stays in hotels involved. On our cruise during the first two weeks of September, we were bussed from Nuremberg to Passau, from the original ship to an identical one. It should have been less than a 2 hour bus trip, but it was 2 1/2 hours due to a jam on the autobahn. Scenic strongly suspected this would be the case before any guests left their homes. We were not given notice or opportunity to cancel without penalty. However, I am not unhappy with Scenic, as this was a very minor deviation, and Scenic knew it would be. However, there have been reports of guests of other lines being bussed all over the place for days, and some guests being sent home early. I feel that Viking owes you a more complete explanation, including what they have done in the past and what they will do if low water persists at the time of your cruise.

To answer the question of why some line's ships are making it through and some are not, the answer probably is in the draft of the various ships. "Draft" means how deeply the ships extend into the water, and they are different. Apparently, Viking ships have a fairly deep draft, while Avalon has a shallow draft and can make it through with low water. Our line (Scenic) apparently is somewhere in between.

While neither we (nor our fellow guests) considered a 2 1/2 hour bus ride to be a "cruise killer", Scenic did do some things to compensate us. The cruise director scheduled some additional events in several ports which were fun. Scenic can't compensate us with a free drink, as all drinks on Scenic are always free, as they should be on any cruise line with the pricing of river cruises!

I have never cruised Viking and have no first hand knowledge of them. But from what I heard (hearsay) of their treatment of their guests who encountered the low water problem during the first half of September, it would seem that they were unprepared for the problem and inconsiderate of their guests. European bus tours are cheap, and are worth even less than that IMHO (we took one -- never again -- would prefer to stay home). If half of my river cruise turned into a bus/hotel tour, I would never take that line again.

Cruise lines have no control over water level, that is true. But this is not the first time water level in these rivers has been a problem. A little over a year ago, HIGH WATER was the problem, for example. Because this is a recurring situation, good cruise lines should be expected to have contingency plans that will give guests full value -- without inordinate bussing and alternative overnight accommodations.

Cruise lines have no control over water level, that is true. But this is not the first time water level in these rivers has been a problem. A little over a year ago, HIGH WATER was the problem, for example. Because this is a recurring situation, good cruise lines should be expected to have contingency plans that will give guests full value -- without inordinate bussing and alternative overnight accommodations.

And guess what? In the High Water situation, it was the same ships that had the most trouble making it through. That's what comes from squeezing so many passengers on the same size ship. This is a vital part of pre-cruise research that too many cruisers fail to do [because it isn't easy to figure out].