packing help

chloes nana

When I've done that extreme temperature fluctuation route (twice Rio to Valparaiso, once Valparaiso to Buenos Aires---all three including Antarctica), I brought a lot of day clothes for the very hot weather, a couple of pieces for colder weather, with layering in mind, and my heaviest winter coat. I packed gloves in the coat pocket when I left home.

Since I went in January from a cold climate, I wore the coat to the airport, then packed it before I checked the luggage. I didn't want to be wearing that coat on arrival in the hot climate.

Some combination of clothes worked well everywhere.

Evening clothes were just the usual, as I stayed inside the ship. The night I went out for Southern Cross stargazing I just added the coat.

I went around the Horn and I traveled in Feb. from Maryland so I needed my heavy coat. THANK HEAVENS for the winter coat!! Also by all means bring both a sun hat (broad and with ties under the neck) and a warm hat that goes over the ears and ties on! I took capris (3 pair plus one shorts) for warm weather and mostly long fairly light to medium pants (4 pair). I had tights to go under the long cotton knit pants. I took one zip fleece, one long sweater -cardigan, and mostly short sleeved shirts. Wore them all at one time!!!

The situation is that being on deck with the wind, moisture, ice fields (and don't forget going out on the bluffs to visit the penguins!) feels colder than the weather statistics indicate:) Don't forget the hot weather too -- we started in Rio and it was HOT HOT HOT as it will be for you as you go up the west coast of South America/Mexico. Just know that the laundry on board is your friend and if you can prepay for unlimited laundry do it. Don't forget to take closed shoes and warm socks. Some people also swear by silk underwear.

Since you need a lot of different clothes, when you (all that answered above) do this type of cruise do you take advantage of either the 'bag' laundry or the daily/$$ laundry?

Or do a lot of laundry in the sink. :)

Or just pack way too much?

Laundry prices seem reasonable to me; I'd rather pack less when I can. Obviously going from hot to cold (and the other way) requires a bit more packing, but to us it seems the on-board laundry can be a life (back) saver.

Thoughts/opinions?

When we did this cruise we packed with layers. And yes, I did take silk underwear as did DH. It is very warm and worked well so we didn't need real bulky clothes when we were seeing the penguins, etc.

layers was the key, you can always take off a bit or add on.

Warm weather speaks for itself.

As far as laundry went, we did the unlimited laundry and were glad that we had it. Makes life easy when you have those busy port days ;)

Since you need a lot of different clothes, when you (all that answered above) do this type of cruise do you take advantage of either the 'bag' laundry or the daily/$$ laundry?

The first two times I used the self-service laundry. By the last time HAL had started free laundry for higher days Mariners, and I qualified for that. So, on the third cruise I sent my day clothes out.

The Zaandam has a self-serve laundry, too.

I wore layers. I tend to be cold so wore cuddles long lightweight underwear for the cold days. I had a great fleece jacket that worked well. I wore capris and three quarter sleeve shirts on warmer days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Layers in cold weather is the key as many have said which also cuts down on laundry. Also stick with more natural fabrics especially close to your skin. Cotton is much warmer than polyester, etc. If you do not want to invest in silk underwear, a plain cotton men's t-shirt works well - and tights. You will find windy conditions and probably moist conditions so a jacket that can help with wind resistance and keeping moisture out is most helpful. Did not take my winter jacket but did layers and layers. A close fitting fleece vest was most helpful over the long sleeve cotton shirt over the turtleneck over the t-shirt. Have a great photo of me in a stocking hat with a wide brimmed sun hat - it was cold and sunny! Looked silly but I was warm and did not burn. Also a scarf to wrap around your face is a good idea as we had high winds in Ushuaia.

I took a waterproof hooded jacket that has a zip out fleece lining. I also packed a fleece vest. In Antarctica, I wore all of the above on deck with two pairs of gloves, a hat and a scarf.

If you have something waterproof, take that for your outerwear because we had snow on deck and quite a bit of mist.

I took two pairs of jeans and two pairs of lighter weight slacks. I took two turtlenecks, four t-shirt and five pairs of socks. I did fine with the "stuff a bag" laundry option for the slacks, socks and shirts. I think I sent out laundry three times over the course of the cruise.

Think in terms of layer on layer on layer.