Heathrow to Southampton

joybook

Apart from a private transfer or expensive transfers (Taxis etc) what are the more economical and efficicent options for transfer from Heathrow to Southampton? Will probably stay overnight in Southampton and set off on the cruise the next day so time will be on our side. Thanks:)

By far the easiest way is to use the National Express coaches

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

They pick up at the Central Bus station (for T1,2&3) which is about a 10 minute walk and from outside terminals 4 & 5. Trip takes around 2hrs 15 mins and should be about £15 (or less if you're lucky!). Driver stows your luggage for you in the belly hold of the coach and it is a very pleasent way to do the trip. Most of the usual hotels in Southampton are within walking distance of the bus station, but taxis will be there if you need them. When you put in your destination on the website, ignore the 'cruise terminal' option...you want Southampton bus station.

As to hotels, the newish Premier Inn has had good reviews on here and is perfectly adequate for an overnight pre cruise and its only 500 yds from the bus station!

Simon

Edited by sddsddean

Most economical, as Simon's post, is National Express coach. They're not very frequent, so you need to pre-book to be sure of a seat - allow 90 minutes for airport formalities from scheduled flight arrival time to the bus station (for T's 1/2/3) or the bus stops at T4 or T5. You'll need to know your terminal before you book.

If you are delayed & miss your coach, you can re-book onto the next available coach, subject to a £5 admin fee. (this concession only for coaches from airports, so for example doesn't apply to a journey in the opposite direction).

BTW, Simon, the "cruise terminal" option on Nat Express' website has disappeared. I'm guessing either Fred Olsen no longer sail out of Southampton, or they've lost Fred's contract.

Whatever the reason, there's no longer the complication & risk of folk booking to "cruise terminal" in error. And that saves your typing finger & mine from having to explain it every time. :)

There's a frequent (half-hourly) "train service" from Heathrow to Southampton. But as well as the cost (over £40 per person), it involved a 10 - 15 mile RailAir bus service from the airport to a mainline station, where you transfer to a direct train to Southampton.

Nat Express is a lot cheaper & simpler, and the journey time is about the same. But the train is a useful Plan B if your plans get fouled-up.

A pre-booked private transfer will cost about £80.

A taxi taken from the rank at the airport will cost you your house :eek:

All the hotels on this map (bottom of the page) are only a short taxi ride (max £10) from coach station, rail station, & any cruise terminal. But Premier Inn West Quay, Grand Harbour, Holiday Inn Herbert Walker Ave, Ibis Budget, Ibis & Novotel are all easily walkable from the coach station.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

(other useful pages on that website too)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

[bTW, Simon, the "cruise terminal" option on Nat Express' website has disappeared. I'm guessing either Fred Olsen no longer sail out of Southampton, or they've lost Fred's contract.

Whatever the reason, there's no longer the complication & risk of folk booking to "cruise terminal" in error. And that saves your typing finger & mine from having to explain it every time. :)]

Good to know JB. Its been ages since I actually looked, but as you say, saves having to explain it all the time!

Simon

Just so you know - National Express coaches are comfortable and safe. The seats are elevated with space underneath for the driver to load your luggage.

There is a tiny toilet, but I do mean tiny, so best avoided except in an emergency. There is no requirement to tip the driver, but if you feel obliged, a couple of pounds would be OK.

Thank you very much for your detailed responses. The information you have given is about the most informative and helpful I have ever received on CC. Many thanks again. Just to make doubly sure I don't lose the information I will be printing this off.:)

If you take the National Express bus service from Heathrow to Southampton, how do you get from the bus terminal in Southampton to the cruise terminal?

I was also wondering if there is bus service from central London to Southampton?

Thanks for any information

There will be taxis at the bus station. City Cruise terminal (RCI, Celeb & NCL) is just about walkable with rolling luggage (about 15-20 mins), but anything else requires a cab. I think its a flat rate of £7, but JB can confirm this.

If you go on the National Express website and put 'London' as your departure, the first option should be Victoria Coach station. This is the main coach station in London, just down the road from Victoria train station (they are not the same place!!). If you need help getting there, let us know.

Simon

If you take the National Express bus service from Heathrow to Southampton, how do you get from the bus terminal in Southampton to the cruise terminal?

I was also wondering if there is bus service from central London to Southampton?

Thanks for any information

As Simon's post, there's a taxi rank at Southampton coach (bus) station.

Ocean & Mayflower terminals (both 25 minutes) are also walkable with rolling luggage, depending on the weather & your fitness levels, but a taxi will cost no more than £10 from the coach station to any cruise terminal.

Same coach operator between that same Southampton coach station and central London's Victoria coach station. Even though it's a longer ride than from Heathrow, the fare from Victoria is lower - around £6 to £8.

For any National Express coach journey, pre-booking on-line is strongly recommended.

Alternatively there are frequent (3 per hour) trains from central London's Waterloo station to Southampton Central rail station. Up to an hour quicker than by coach.

Regular walk-up train fare about £40, but ..............

if you pre-book on https://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx the fare will be around £6 to £10, same price bracket as by coach. You do have to pre-book & specify your train time (from a choice of only about a dozen trains per day, but two or three will suit cruisers) & no cancellation / amendments. But they're exceptionally good value. Tickets available from about 6 weeks out.

Southampton Central rail station is near the coach station, and also has a taxi rank.

JB :)