Do people really...

smokester

I do late book some cruises- those last minute deals can be significant on unsold cabins.

But, I was a no show on 3 cruises in 2013, so, yes, people do cancel. No show cabins don't go back into inventory, but there are always a few unoccupied cabins, which are a secret number along with their booking strategies.

I wouldn't expect any "deals" if something does come back into inventory on a sold out ship, however.

Problem with people being no shows is someone may want a cabin and can't get one, unless they are at the port day of cruise? Being as we are 7 hours away from the port , that's a LONG drive just to take a chance

Don't think there can even be walk up sales any more? But frankly- I paid for the cabin- I'm not in any priority to bother canceling, in some cases, just so the cruise line can double book.

Last January we were at the airport to fly to Miami for our cruise and my DH had a stroke. Thankful for cruise insurance! Thankful that my DH recovered and we cruised a month later. Our family also had insurance and was able to rebook. So keep calling Carnival, you never know.

Don't think there can even be walk up sales any more? But frankly- I paid for the cabin- I'm not in any priority to bother canceling, in some cases, just so the cruise line can double book.
I'm curious. Do you purchase travel insurance? I'm getting the impression you do not, since you prefer to be a "no show" at times and do not go through the canceling process. I ask because I know that cancellation docs are part of the records travel insurance companies ask for. I'm not attempting to inject opinion here in regard to anything. I'm just curious how you handle insurance claims, if you do file them, on cruises you were a no show. Perhaps you just suffer a loss on those? If so, that's entirely your right. Like I said, I'm just curious.

You are right that Carnival does attempt to double book on cancelled reservations. I had to cancel very recently. The Carnival rep I spoke with said, he was worry I had to cancel, but that I had made someone on the waiting list's day. To which I replied, I imagine I've made Carnival's day too, since they are now getting to charge twice for one room. He didn't respond. I'm not thrilled either that they get to sometimes double book rooms, because of someone's misfortune. Unfortunately, if one has insurance, it is advisable to bite the bullet and do it on record though.

I had to cancel my last one about 3 weeks out because of medical reasons. Thank goodness for my credit card having travel insurance.
I was unaware of credit cards covering like travel insurance. We have always purchased insurance. Can you tell me how that works, especially if you are making credit card payments up until cruise deadline.

I was unaware of credit cards covering like travel insurance. We have always purchased insurance. Can you tell me how that works, especially if you are making credit card payments up until cruise deadline.

Many cards offer some level of "travel protection" - when you use their card to pay for the trip. It can vary greatly from full-blown travel insurance (like what you would purchase) to just assistance when rebooking a missed flight etc.

Don't give up you purchased insurance without being 100% positive what your card offers is similar and acceptable.

Many cards offer some level of "travel protection" - when you use their card to pay for the trip. It can vary greatly from full-blown travel insurance (like what you would purchase) to just assistance when rebooking a missed flight etc.

Don't give up you purchased insurance without being 100% positive what your card offers is similar and acceptable.

Thank you

Sailing Sunshine Oct 10 3 people in cabin...that's the problem. There are a few inside upper/lower for 2 and suites for 2 but that's it.

How about booking 2 passengers in one of the upper/lower staterooms and the 3rd passenger on another upper/lower stateroom by him/herself? Yes, you'll need to pay a single supplement for the 3rd passenger, but it may be a better option than not going on the cruise altogether.