Seasick on Oasis?

Hi everyone,

First, thanks so much for all of the great info you provide. I have been reading posts for weeks!

We are cruising on the Oasis in November (Eastern Caribbean). When we booked, I wanted a Central Park balcony as it is midship and would be different than a typical balcony. They only had Central Park Guarantee available but our TA told us that would guarantee us in CP just not sure what room yet.

Our room was just assigned and we have 11701 which is a Boardwalk room. I'm not upset about Boardwalk except that I'm nervous about being seasick.

We have cruised on Enchantment and I needed a seasick patch. Since then I have always cruised with a seasick patch on smaller RCCL ships as well as Freedom. I am nursing so I'm not able to use the patch for this cruise and I'm concerned about being sea sick that far back of the ship.

Long post for this short question.... Should I try to switch rooms or do you think being on such a large ship will outweigh the location of our room?

Thank you!!!

I would try getting those "seabands" at walmart, they seem to work. I think Oasis is so big, most people don't get seasick. My brother who gets carsick driving thru the mountains in Tennessee swore he would get seasick and he went on Oasis and never felt the ship move per su. Even though it's a boardwalk balcony, it's not like you're right over the ocean, you may get to change cabins w/in your category if you don't like your cabin.

... Long post for this short question.... Should I try to switch rooms or do you think being on such a large ship will outweigh the location of our room?

Thank you!!!

I'd try to switch if it's not too much trouble. Even though Oasis is a huge ship, if the sea is rough, you will feel motion. It sounds like you are very sensitive, so I would try to minimize motion.

Ginger has been helpful to us for reducing queasiness.

Everything the previous posters suggested and one more thing to ease your worry......

Oasis is the MOST stable ship I have ever been on, even in very rough waters. I never felt the ship moving until I saw the wake.

Enjoy your cruise and don't think about being sea sick.:)

We had a forward Cabin and had some rought seas for a day and a half on an eastern cruise. You can feel it for sure, if it's rough. It's amazing most of the time you can't feel anything, but if you get any rough seas, The ship will still ride the waves like any other, so you feel something, you hear the typical creeks you hear on any ship. It did not bother me, but if you are senstive and if your hit any rough seas you will feel it. Will it be less than other ships, sure, best to be prepared.

I have never taken a cruise without needing the patch, that is the only thing that keeps me from getting seasick. When we sailed on the Oasis last November over Thanksgiving, I took the patches with me but never needed them. I suggest you take them with you because one never really knows how the seas will be, but I doubt you will need them. The ship is beautiful, stable and have a great time!!!!

As your doctor or pediatrician about breastfeeding with the patch or bonine, or some other oral medication. Chance are, if you're only using it as needed, and not for the entire time, it won't hurt a thing. And remember, you're not going to be IN your cabin the entire time...you'll be all over the ship, so cabin placement is only important at night, when you're sleeping!

Everything the previous posters suggested and one more thing to ease your worry......

Oasis is the MOST stable ship I have ever been on, even in very rough waters. I never felt the ship moving until I saw the wake.

Either you are lucky or I am unlucky. When we were on the Oasis a few years ago we had the roughest trip. So bad that a lot of the crew was sick and had to book off work.

2 Oasis cruises, and I can't imagine getting sea sick on it. I know that if the waves are big enough any ship will move, in my two cruises, I think only one day could I even tell that ship was moving at all.

That said, bonine works well. I think the patch is overkill for the Oasis.

Have fun.

jc

First time cruiser here and just got off Oasis 2 weeks ago. My fear was sea sickness too. I carried the patches, bracelets and even ginger tablets but never had to open a package. Never, ever felt the ship move...it was incredible. We had an emergency medical evacuation for a passenger at Cozumel and the Captain turned our ship around on a dime to go back to port. That was the only time that I felt a minor vibration, but nothing else. It was a wonderful experience. Wishing you a wonderful trip!! :D

I have vertigo issues and get car sick/sea sick. I agree with other people...take ginger pills if you don't use the patches. Also, ask your doctor if there is a medication that's safe for you to deal with nausea. I used the patch, Bonnie, and had the nausea medicine just in case on Independece oTS. Best cruise so far only one day had issues with seasickness. We are going on Oasis for the first time in December. I always book midship ANd the lowest deck possible. I would at least see if you can get a cabin on a lower deck. You may end up being In your cabin more than usual since you are nursing...thus a lower deck would be better.

As a kid, I got sea sick every weekend on the twisty roads to the lake in the summer. I mean I threw up and was miserable. On early ocean cruises I always wore the patch and never got sick but felt miserable at times. Then in 2003, I was in New Zealand on a shore day, renting a car driving on the wrong side of the road, and I realized, the patch made it so I couldn't read a map. Last day in my life with a patch. Since then I have used Bonine. I have thrown up while scuba diving. Yes, underwater with a tank full of oxygen on my back and a breathing apparatus in my mouth. That truly sucks. It sucked so bad, I had trouble scuba diving after those experiences. I have over come that and dived on the Great Barrier reef with mantas, and sharks. I just take Bonine or meclazine.

I get the fear, but of all the cruise ships in the world, short of a horrible storm, I think the Oasis class ships are virtually vomit proof.

I remember coming out of the Straights of Magellan on HAL and experiencing 30 foot waves. After we fell out of bed, we turned on the TV to the bridge channel in our lowest middle cabin on the ship. Sky, O water, O water crashing over the bridge, sky.... the pool behind the lido restaurant flooded the dining area. We went to eat in the MDR, and the wait staff was clearing the tables of glasses and plates, we ate, then I went back to bed to lay low. My wife went to work out, she is a superstar.

I think seasickness is something you can overcome. I, mostly, have. From a horrible beginning place.

jc

I just got off Oasis, even though its big, if the seas are right, it moves. it moved a bit our last 2 days, decent size swells coming from the north on our way back to Florida hitting the ship on its size caused it to roll both days.

Drink more alcohol and you won't notice :D

If been on Oasis twice. The first time, the ship was rocking the whole time, water coming out of the pools, etc. At the captain's corner we were told we were rolling about +/-3 degrees, which is a lot of movement on the pool deck. The relative wind was about 50 Knots the whole week, with some pretty high seas. It didn't bother me at all, but I usually never get seasick at all.

The second time, I never once felt the ship move, as stable as a hotel on land. Not even a wave in a pool the whole cruise.

So I think it just depends.

We have sailed Oasis twice and never even felt movement. I honestly thought we were on a land based hotel. That ship is incredibly stable and our cabins were aft. Contrast those two cruises with our 7 HAL cruises and I have had one night of seasickness on all of those cruises. HAL ships are much smaller and you really feel the movement. I get sick on a slow moving ferris wheel so I'm sensitive to motion. I always carry the wrist bands with me just in case we hit rough waters. They definitely help as does Bonine. On a HAL cruise in Alaska, we had very rough seas one night and the steward brought me a green apple and said that always helped his stomach. It actually helped me, too, so that's another tip. I hope you enjoy your cruise with no issues.

When we went in Dec 2011, we actually felt like we felt movement more on her than on the Freedom class. Nothing crazy though. We only felt it when we were higher up We noticed in in Central Park and in the Windjammer. We are leaving October 31st with our son and we have the last room towards the ocean in the boardwalk on deck 12... We are nervous about seasickness for him since he will be three so no meds to give him but hopefully we will manage.

My husband can't go out on Lake Erie without getting sick every time. We have been on Oasis and allure it never bothered him. We have never been on a rough sea cruise so have no idea if that would upset him or not.

Have fun. Just be prepared in case. It cost a fortune to buy medicine on board.

Hi everyone,

Long post for this short question.... Should I try to switch rooms or do you think being on such a large ship will outweigh the location of our room?

Thank you!!!

You'll be fine in the cabin you've been assigned. :)

Last time on Oasis the seas were so rough one evening that water from the pools above was splashing into Central Park. So don't count on Central Park being immune from the effects of the ship's movement.

Talk to your pediatrician / OB - can you pre-pump /freeze and then pump and dump while on the patch?

We just got off of Grandeur yesterday - the gift shop sold a anti-nausea roll on medicine that goes behind the ear - the ships doctor said it was safe to give to our 2 y/o nephew (behind his ear) - we had a horribly rough week and 9 of the 12 of us were sick including the baby

Edited by ghinderliter

Hahaha!Then you havent really seen rough waters cause this ship can rock.

Trust me OP not one ship built that you wont feel the motion if the swells are big.I was on allure a couple years ago and for three days we were up and down ,up and down..You felt it.. All the pools were closed because they would empty out from the rocking... You are doing the right thing by moving rooms if you can.

If you are prone to getting sea sick, and keep thinking about it, you will get sick. I have been on the Oasis twice, Radiance, and Carnival Breeze.

On the Breeze and Radiance, you can feel motion in calm seas if you try to. On the Oasis, we had 8 foot swells, and it was not too bad. I usually get sick riding in a car. You can easily forget you are on the Oasis at sea. It is so wide and stable, you have to concentrate to feel anything.

Sailing is all about luck of the seas (maybe the name of a ship?). If the seas are normal, then you will not even know you are on the water. If the seas are rough, any ship will rock. Try to have fun and forget about being sick (I know, easier said than done).

Edited by Pilot53