Cabin Must Haves....

momof5cruiseluvrs

This is our first time having a balcony cabin. We're on the 9th floor in a "hump" cabin on the Allure. Just wondering if I need more of a heavy duty clip due to wind?

We never had a problem, even with the high winds near Aruba and Curacao. Just be sure to clip them well -- we would use a couple extra clips and would bring items in at night.

Another vote for the power strip, plus multi USB charger.

Power strip, but make sure there is enough room between the outlets for the multiple chargers, power squid surge protector is what I use it has different wires that come out so you do not have to worry about fitting the chargers on the same strip. Here is a link on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=power+surge+squid&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3029712051&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7540318813175634134&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8xidzzwb80_b

Highlighter to mark the things you want to do each day.

We try to avoid overpacking since we only bring carry on luggage. A must have for us is a variety of any OTC medicine you could possibly need, such as for headaches, motion sickness, stomach issues, colds, etc. On our last cruise I had a stuffy nose and Benadryl from the shops on the ship was $12!! We spent some of our time in port going to the local pharmacy to get some cheaper stuff. Also bring hair conditioner if you need it. They provide body wash and shampoo but no conditioner. A travel alarm clock can be useful or a phone that is in airplane mode. Keep in mind though that if you put it in airplane mode while you're in international waters, the time may get messed up (that happened on mine).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I found a strong magnet at Home Depot with a hook on it. I hang up hats ( I take a large brim one along), lanyards on it. It is even strong enough to hang a dress out on when I am getting ready. About $6 I think each. Love them!

I use kitchen magnets for the compass, like a chip clip with a magnet.

My must have for any cruise 5 days or longer is a hanging shoe bag in the closet. Mine is light and folds completely flat for travel. It hangs with two hooks over the rod in the closet and holds all our shoes ( I take 10 pairs or so). The pockets face the front of the closet like little shelves. This would also be great for storing kids clothes in. I am gifting one for each cabin for our upcoming cruise with the kids and grands. I think in a small cabin this will really help with storage.

My DD taught me this trick my last cruise...if you are driving to the port and liquids are not an issue bring liquid soap for the bathroom sink. I hate the slimy bar soap. I picked up a cute smaller bottle with sea animals on it the dollar store the other day for my next cruise. Just toss when you leave.

Edited by cruiselvr04

These are new additions to my must haves. Especially if you have battery chargers that are the 'brick' style. Good luck getting some of those to fit in the tight space allowed. Will never cruise again without these. No trouble with getting them confiscated. Just add the small extension cord to the end of an existing electrical item you are bringing that has a cord.

It worked great to get the outlet away from the tight space in the wall.

61exG8UIuWL._SX450_.jpg

belkin-mini-surge-protector1.jpg

Also, quart and gallon size Ziploc bags are always on my travel list, no matter where I'm going. You will be surprised how often you will need one.

Edited by m*u*g*

We are pretty much cruising newbies. We took our first cruise on the Wonder last year and are cruising on the Allure in November. I've read an over the door shoe organizer is a life saver, magnetic hooks for the walls (for hats, swimsuits, etc), pop up clothes hamper for dirty clothes. What have you found are your must haves for your cabin that make your life easier?

The over the door shoe organizer was good with 4 of us in one room, I don't think I would bring it with only dh and I.

Pop up clothes hamper will only work if you have the floor space to put it - depending on how the closets are situated. I seem to have too many shoes to be able to use it in there....;) We use packing cubes and I bring extra. We start packing dirty clothes into those - then they are ready to be popped back into the luggage at the end.

We made use of the magnetic clips for the first time last cruise - to Alaska. Information that was important for everyone (travelled with our 2 kids) to see and to keep track of went up on the wall. I will definitely use those again.

What about blow dryers? I brought mine last year on the Wonder because I read they were really wimpy (which they were) and we shared it between 5 cabins. LOL!

I also bring a little travel sized container of dish soap. I used it to clean sippy cups last time. I may bring cheap, plastic wine glasses to toast my Mom's retirement for our pre-celebration in our cabin. I thought we could reuse them until the end of the trip if we carry on wine or champagne and pitch them at the end of our cruise.

Magnetic hook for the ceiling -- hang a Yankee "jar in the car" air freshner from it. Keeps the room always smelling good for the week. I hung it close to the vent.

Small bottle of air freshner for bathroom. I brought my Scentsy one. Very small and light.

Gator clips for balcony (pin clothes to chairs). Stronger than clothes pins. Ordered from Amazon.

Did not take an alarm clock on the Allure. There is an iPod docking station with clock on it. Used my phone if I needed an alarm.

It's easy to get excited and take way too much. I did that with previous cruises and learned real fast about airline weight limits!! Less clothes and stuff.....more cash!!! :)

Power strip, but make sure there is enough room between the outlets for the multiple chargers, power squid surge protector is what I use it has different wires that come out so you do not have to worry about fitting the chargers on the same strip. Here is a link on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=power+surge+squid&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3029712051&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7540318813175634134&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8xidzzwb80_b

Highlighter to mark the things you want to do each day.

41vP%2BADVo3L._AA160_.jpg

Just to show you what it looks like

Edited by ken_nyc

My must have for any cruise 5 days or longer is a hanging shoe bag in the closet. Mine is light and folds completely flat for travel. It hangs with two hooks over the rod in the closet and holds all our shoes ( I take 10 pairs or so). The pockets face the front of the closet like little shelves. This would also be great for storing kids clothes in. I am gifting one for each cabin for our upcoming cruise with the kids and grands. I think in a small cabin this will really help with storage.

WOW, you must need a separate carry-on just for your shoes! :eek: LOL

What about blow dryers? I brought mine last year on the Wonder because I read they were really wimpy (which they were) and we shared it between 5 cabins. LOL!

I also bring a little travel sized container of dish soap. I used it to clean sippy cups last time. I may bring cheap, plastic wine glasses to toast my Mom's retirement for our pre-celebration in our cabin. I thought we could reuse them until the end of the trip if we carry on wine or champagne and pitch them at the end of our cruise.

You can get wine or champagne glasses at any bar on the ship, from the dining room or from your cabin attendant. No need to reuse as you can get clean ones every day. One less thing to pack.

Enjoy

M

Having just got off a cruise yesterday, here is our must have for next years cruise:

Bathroom spray

I highly recommend Poo-pourri. It is not in aerosol cans so could be more easily carried on a plane if flying is a concern.

You spray it into the water before you go. We just left ours in the bathroom. It really cuts out the stink. I have a friend who has an ostomy, which is how I found out about Poo-pourri.

I highly recommend Poo-pourri. It is not in aerosol cans so could be more easily carried on a plane if flying is a concern.

You spray it into the water before you go. We just left ours in the bathroom. It really cuts out the stink. I have a friend who has an ostomy, which is how I found out about Poo-pourri.

OMG...that is the funniest commercial...if you have never seen the PooPourri commercial:

I take scented garbage bags for the dirty clothes and store them under the bed. I bring one for light dress clothes, one for colored clothes dress clothes and the same for casual so at the end of the cruise I just throw all the bags in the suitcase and my laundry is already sorted and ready for wash when I get home.