Palermo or Bolonga?

Millenia98

We came from Sicily (Catania) a couple of weeks ago, and I fell in LOVE. I couldn't believe that was Sicily. I envisioned more of a small town Rome. And it was a village/countryside/beach town down below. But I've always wanted to visit Palermo and Bologna.

I wanted to remain in the southern region BUT if Bologna is worth doing North over South, I'll do it (not interested in Cinque Terre factoring in).

Can you compare the two and let me know which one you would choose?

I think its comparing Apples to Kumquats. And having been all over Italy (we have driven more then 10,000 miles within the country) we have no love of either Bologna or Palermo. That being said, the island of Sicily is a pure delight if one gets away from Palermo. But getting back to Bologna, I once convinced DW to spend a few nights in that city (against her better judgement). After a few days (and 2 parking tickets) we found little reason to ever return. My fondest memory was defeating the Gypsy women who tried to pick my pocket in the center of Bologna around midday (I hope she still has bruises where I slammed her in the chest with my umbrella).

Bologna does have its collanades and its own Leaning Tower and some excellent restaurants (most best enjoyed at dinner...which is not helpful for cruisers). But if were to list our 50 favorite places in Italy, Bologna would be near the bottom of the list (if it even makes the list).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I would have to somewhat agree with Hank that I would consider Palermo and Bologna as places to base oneself for explorations in the surrounding area rather than excellent destinations in and of themselves.

Palermo has a few things worth seeing in the city (the Capella Palatina being my favorite), but many other sites are nearby, from Greek ruins (Segesta) to a wonderful Roman villa with mosaics (Piazza Armerina) to a Norman cathedral (Monreale).

Bologna is located in the middle of Emilia Romagna, a foodie paradise. You'd be near the home of balsamic vinegar, Parmigiano-Reggiano (and Grana-Padano) cheese, Parma ham, prosciutto, mortadella -- not to mention Sangiovese, Lambrusco and Trebbiano wines.

Based on your recent happy experience in Catania, maybe Palermo would be a better choice for you -- but only you know for sure what interests you more.

I haven't been to Sicily, but I recently spent 10 days in Bologna and really liked it. There is a lot to see there, and a huge amount of famous sites are just a short train ride away for a day trip, like Pisa and Venice. I took the Italian Days Food Experience tour, which is one of the best day tours ever. Outstanding. The Italians themselves caution against the gypsies. But I didn't have trouble. Bologna itself has some beautiful sites to see. A great restaurant is Pino, off one of the main drags, Via Independencia. Look up on Trip Advisor some of the recommended sights. I enjoy seeing churches so that was good for me.

I think its comparing Apples to Kumquats. And having been all over Italy (we have driven more then 10,000 miles within the country) we have no love of either Bologna or Palermo. That being said, the island of Sicily is a pure delight if one gets away from Palermo. But getting back to Bologna, I once convinced DW to spend a few nights in that city (against her better judgement). After a few days (and 2 parking tickets) we found little reason to ever return. My fondest memory was defeating the Gypsy women who tried to pick my pocket in the center of Bologna around midday (I hope she still has bruises where I slammed her in the chest with my umbrella).

Bologna does have its collanades and its own Leaning Tower and some excellent restaurants (most best enjoyed at dinner...which is not helpful for cruisers). But if were to list our 50 favorite places in Italy, Bologna would be near the bottom of the list (if it even makes the list).

Hank

WOW!! Thanks for the review. I was even considering making a land trip to either of those places. Palermo looked so cool. So no go? Some background: I’ve been to Rome 4 times (love of my life), Florence, Pisa, Amalfi Coast twice, Venice, Catania in Sicily. I was looking to explore my favorite country more. What are your favorite places in Italy (seeing as how you’ve explored it so much).

Edited by Millenia98

WOW!! Thanks for the review. I was even considering making a land trip to either of those places. Palermo looked so cool. So no go? Some background: I’ve been to Rome 4 times (love of my life), Florence, Pisa, Amalfi Coast twice, Venice, Catania in Sicily. I was looking to explore my favorite country more. What are your favorite places in Italy (seeing as how you’ve explored it so much).

I somewhat disagree with Hank and agree with Cruisemom on the subject of Palermo. You will not be disappointed with Palermo itself, I think it is cool. It does have a lot of traffic. Use it as a base for exploration of central and Western Sicily. As Hank said, Sicily is pure delight. It has some of the best preserved Greek temples anywhere, including Greece! Plus Roman villas, Renaissance churches, etc, etc, etc. One of our more enjoyable trips ever was a 10 day driving trip around Sicily.

Bologna itself is underwhelming other than the central piazza area. The restaurants are great, but so is the food in Sicily.

I somewhat disagree with Hank and agree with Cruisemom on the subject of Palermo. You will not be disappointed with Palermo itself, I think it is cool. It does have a lot of traffic. Use it as a base for exploration of central and Western Sicily. As Hank said, Sicily is pure delight. It has some of the best preserved Greek temples anywhere, including Greece! Plus Roman villas, Renaissance churches, etc, etc, etc. One of our more enjoyable trips ever was a 10 day driving trip around Sicily.

Bologna itself is underwhelming other than the central piazza area. The restaurants are great, but so is the food in Sicily.

Thank you! Besides Palermo, where would you explore in Sicily?

Thank you! Besides Palermo, where would you explore in Sicily?

Just saw your question. You haven't said how long you are planning to stay or whether you are willing to drive. If so, you can do a driving tour and stay in one or two additional places. The traffic in Palermo is very heavy, but quite manageable in the countryside.

You could spend a couple of days visiting Palermo and Monreale. Then, you can do a loop to Segesta (Greek temple), Agrigento (valley of the Temples - spectacular), Piazza Armerina (Roman Villa at Casale), Enna, Cefalu and back to Palermo. The most important sites are Agrigento and Piazza Armerina. If you have extra time, widen the loop at the beginning and go to Erice and Trapani before Segesta. If you have extra time, you can go to Siracusa after Piazza Armerina and then back to the loop, or leave from that area. Plan to overnight during the tour.

Catania is one of the least interesting towns in Sicily, so you will really love the rest. I do assume you went to Taormina from Catania and that is on the same level of interest as the other places mentioned above.

You do need to get a guide book and plot an itinerary on a map. If you are not willing to drive, then you can look at day excursions from Palermo to Agrigento and Piazza Armerina.

Edited by marazul

Just saw your question. You haven't said how long you are planning to stay or whether you are willing to drive. If so, you can do a driving tour and stay in one or two additional places. The traffic in Palermo is very heavy, but quite manageable in the countryside.

You could spend a couple of days visiting Palermo and Monreale. Then, you can do a loop to Segesta (Greek temple), Agrigento (valley of the Temples - spectacular), Piazza Armerina (Roman Villa at Casale), Enna, Cefalu and back to Palermo. The most important sites are Agrigento and Piazza Armerina. If you have extra time, widen the loop at the beginning and go to Erice and Trapani before Segesta. If you have extra time, you can go to Siracusa after Piazza Armerina and then back to the loop, or leave from that area. Plan to overnight during the tour.

Catania is one of the least interesting towns in Sicily, so you will really love the rest. I do assume you went to Taormina from Catania and that is on the same level of interest as the other places mentioned above.

You do need to get a guide book and plot an itinerary on a map. If you are not willing to drive, then you can look at day excursions from Palermo to Agrigento and Piazza Armerina.

I don't like to say how many days in my post bc I like to have full full days to see as much as possible in little time. Most ppl like to take it easy. If we had unlimited vacation this time around, I would. But, I only have about 4 days in Sicily. We went to Catania but I chose to concentrate on Catania and not do Taormina.

I love your recommendations! Is any group or part of this doable in 4 days? We are willing to drive ourselves. What do u think?

I don't like to say how many days in my post bc I like to have full full days to see as much as possible in little time. Most ppl like to take it easy. If we had unlimited vacation this time around, I would. But, I only have about 4 days in Sicily. We went to Catania but I chose to concentrate on Catania and not do Taormina.

I love your recommendations! Is any group or part of this doable in 4 days? We are willing to drive ourselves. What do u think?

Very doable. I guess you are talking about four full days, not including travel days. You can see Palermo in one day. Day 2 you can see Monreale and if you are in the car already, continue to Agrigento which is only a couple of hours from Palermo. Segesta is a short stop on the way to Agrigento. Stay at Agrigento overnight. Day 3 in the morning visit the valley of the temples and go on to the Roman villa at Casale near Piazza Armerina, less than two hours from Agrigento. Stay the night at Piazza Armerina or go on to Enna (half an hour). Day 4, see Enna in the morning and return to Palermo by way of Bagheria with a side trip to Cefalu if you have time.

It will be a very busy schedule, but you can certainly "see as much as possible in a little time." You might want to get the Michelin Green Guide to Sicily. It is geared towards driving vacations (they do sell tires!) and it gives you planned itineraries, estimated times to visit each place, walking maps in the cities, recommendations for places to stay, etc.

Just to get an idea (and double check what I remember), plot the itinerary in google maps so you can see the driving distances between all those places. Having a car you can be flexible and adjust as needed.