train travel?

sunshine426

I know it's a little off-topic, but I've found that Amtrak Unlimited - http://forums.amtraktrains.com/ - has some good discussion about Amtrak, Commuter Trains, Trip Reports, etc. I even remember some threads about how to effectively take commuter/Amtrak trains to multiple ports (albeit mostly NJ/NY and Boston if I'm not mistaken) as well as airports.

Cheers!

-Steve

Thanks for the replies. We are actually thinking of train travel as a vacation option, so are looking at US and /or Canadian Trains. I have learned so much about cruise travel on this web site, was hoping there would be something similar out there from people who have traveled on some of the more site seeing trains. I'll keep checking. Sunshine

Sunshine -

We've done a couple of train trips. One was San Diego to Seattle (just one night) and a couple of years ago we went from San Diego to New Orleans, spent a few days there, got back on the train and headed to upstate New York.

Be prepared - the sleeping cars are rather small. It's just the 2 of us so we've always gone with the smallest accomodations. During the day it's very comfortable and you have your own private window to enjoy the world. At night the 2 seats are made into one bed and the other comes down from the ceiling. It's a little tight up there, my DH wasn't comfortable so we switched. I had no problems sleeping. You just have to remember not to sit straight up in the bed. :p

When you get a sleeper the food is included in the price. The dining car is very nice and the food is pretty decent. If it's just 2 of you, you will be seated with another couple. All tables are for 4.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email. def @ san . rr . com

Archived