Upgrading from House Select to Prestige Select drinks package?

ann135

Included in our booked cruise is the House Select package. We want to upgrade to the Prestige.

Is it better to do this on boarding, with our TA or online?

I'm sure I read somewhere that it can cost more if you wait till embarkation?

I looked at my Oceania booking online but can't see a way of doing it there?

Advice please?!

Thanks.

Included in our booked cruise is the House Select package. We want to upgrade to the Prestige.

Is it better to do this on boarding, with our TA or online?

I'm sure I read somewhere that it can cost more if you wait till embarkation?

I looked at my Oceania booking online but can't see a way of doing it there?

Advice please?!

Thanks.

The only way that I've ever heard of that upgrade being accomplished was through a Travel Agent, and Agents' services are free, so it can't be a cost issue.

It may be the confusion of VAT while in a European port.

I seem to remember a past post when the discussion of the "wine-by-the bottle" package was being discussed. The cruiser mentioned having to pay the European VAT (tax) because he purchased the wine package on-board while in port at Barcelona.

He would not have had to pay the VAT if he purchased the package while at sea.

The only way that I've ever heard of that upgrade being accomplished was through a Travel Agent, and Agents' services are free, so it can't be a cost issue.

I have a house select package with my cruise and want to up grade it with my on board credit, is this possible once aboard ???

Also is the Spanish VAT payable on all drinks purchased in Spanish waters ???

if so it will make my happy hour very expensive

We managed to pay the difference through our travel agent here in the UK. It didn't cost much and was easy to do.

Depending how soon your cruise is, I would try and pay the difference before you board.

I can't comment on the VAT element for Spain but it's never affected the cost when I've bought in advance.

Have a great time!

I have a house select package with my cruise and want to up grade it with my on board credit, is this possible once aboard ???

Also is the Spanish VAT payable on all drinks purchased in Spanish waters ???

if so it will make my happy hour very expensive

It is possible to upgrade onboard, but that is a less convenient proposition than doing it from home.

Still, if the OBC is "free money", it may be worth the effort of waiting your turn on the ship. .

The Spanish VAT (i.e, when you embark in Spain) is a killer, they collect it until the ship lands at a port outside the EU, or, at an EU port which is willing to overrule the tax supremacy of the embarkation port. You'll need to do your homework. :eek:

Edited by StanandJim

We managed to pay the difference through our travel agent here in the UK. It didn't cost much and was easy to do.

Depending how soon your cruise is, I would try and pay the difference before you board.

I can't comment on the VAT element for Spain but it's never affected the cost when I've bought in advance.

Have a great time!

I second PSCs comments above......do it now through your travel agent. I have done it for two 2016 cruises with the upgrade cost £178 for a 14 day cruise.

It is possible to upgrade onboard, but that is a less convenient proposition than doing it from home.

Still, if the OBC is "free money", it may be worth the effort of waiting your turn on the ship. .

The Spanish VAT (i.e, when you embark in Spain) is a killer, they collect it until the ship lands at a port outside the EU, or, at an EU port which is willing to overrule the tax supremacy of the embarkation port. You'll need to do your homework. :eek:

Thanks for your answer,so passengers are informed as they board that they will be Charged 10% on top of the 18% service charge on all Items , drinks, Spa, Privee etc ?? A 28% charge whacked on top of everything.

Is this correct ??

Thanks for your answer,so passengers are informed as they board that they will be Charged 10% on top of the 18% service charge on all Items , drinks, Spa, Privee etc ?? A 28% charge whacked on top of everything.

Is this correct ??

For good or bad, if you choose to sail from Spain, you need to pay their taxes, or face the consequences.

Jail-Jamas-wonk.jpg

It just is what it is.

Although I'm sure that this will put a big damper on the number of future sailings from Spanish ports.

Edited by StanandJim

I believe I've read that Oceania's Liquor policy states that you can bring 3 bottles of wine on-board in each port. Is that accurate? Is it limited to wine?

The "Policy" is posted simply to avoid "situations"; in reality there isn't any limitation to bringing on wine or liquor for in cabin consumption.

Oceania treats us like responsible adults.....isn't that refreshing?

I think it is wonderful to carry-on the wine or liquor of your choice to enjoy in your suite or stateroom!

If you bring a bottle to dinner expect to pay a corkage fee to have the sommelier open and serve your wine.

You can also carry your wine glass from happy hour to dinner if you are still enjoying your wine.

If you have a bottle purchased on-board that you have not finished, Oceania will store it for you and you can request it the next evening at a different dining venue.

It's nice to know that no adult feels compelled to smuggle their favorite beverage in their shampoo bottles on Oceania:D

So in RogerB's case(and mine) the cruise is a Transatlantic. After Barcelona the next ports are Cartegena & Malaga, both Spanish. After that the next stop is Funchal, Portugal. After six sea days then Bermuda. So if Portugal doesn't overrule the embarkation port would the tax be in effect until we reach Bermuda? Doesn't seem right.

If I remember correctly.. . .once we had left "Spanish water" the tax no longer applied. When we were docked at an EU port it kicked in again.

If you start and stop in Spain, I have heard that Spain wants the tax to be collected on the entire cruise. Also if you pass through the strait of Gibraltor the tax stops because at a point you are no longer in EU waters.

It is all very complicated. Any maritime tax lawyers on Cruise Critic?

If you have a knowledgeable TA they may have the answer.

Spanish VAT is very complicated and seems to affect different cruises differently. I have been on cruises sailing out of BCN where the VAT was not charged once we were 8 miles out and cruises where the VAT stayed in place for a good part of the cruise. In all of these cruises they all started at BCN but none were round trip in Spain nor ended in Spain.

Although I called O on the sailing that we are on with rogerb and ORV and was told that it would not be a concern once we were 8 miles out, from experience, the best thing to do is ask once on board.

There will most likely be a notice in the "Currents" (I think that is the right name for the daily schedule) as well advising when and how long the VAT is applicable. At least there has been on any other cruise I have been on sailing out of BCN or in any Spanish waters.