HAL Mariner Society vs Princess Captain's Circle

qsuzi

Has it been/will it be quicker for you to reach higher levels on HAL vs Princess (or other cruise lines)?

After 2 HAL cruises (7 days each in a Suite) we have 31 Cruise Day Credits and are now 2 Star Mariners. Based on our average number of days sailed per cruise in a Suite, we reached level 2 quicker on HAL and project we will also meet level 3 higher on HAL than we did on Princess. There are several factors when you compare HAL and Princess, i.e.:

Princess: Number of Cruises OR days sailed. Princess has 4 levels.

HAL: Number of Cruise Day credits (CDC). HAL has 5 levels. If you are in a Suite you get one credit for each day sailed. In addition you get one credit for each $300 or more average spent for each day sailed.

HAL: Star Mariner: 1 completed cruise 2-Star: 30 CDC, 3-Star: 75 CDC, 4-Star: 200 CDC, 5-Star: 500 CDC

Princess: Gold: 1 cruise, Ruby: from 4-5th or 31-50 days, Platinum: 6th-15th or 51-150 days, Elite: 16th on or 151 days on.

Note:This thread was also posted on "Ask a Question Forum"

Edited by qsuzi

It seemed that I reached elite status on princess pretty quick. You get double as a solo. It took me a long time to get to 4 star on Hal because you don't get double for sailing solo. You have to remember that not everyone sails in a suite. Also Hal didn't start counting spending until a few years ago.

We hit Elite on Princess quickly only because we were taking longer cruises.

On HAL -- when they started the Star Mariner program we were already well over 200 actual sailing days for the 4 stars. Then when HAL added the 5 Star program -- again we were already well over 500 actual sailing days.

HAL also has the medal program still going on. We hit Platinum a few years ago -- 700 actual sailing days. On this program you can not count extra days for staying in a suite or for spending. The last tier is 1400 or 1500 -- I can't remember how many actual sailing days. Then it is by invitation only. I know we will never hit that number of days as we both have too many health issues.

So -- which is better?? Princess or HAL?? HAL does make it easy to get to the 4 star status compared to Princess's program.

It seemed that I reached elite status on princess pretty quick. You get double as a solo. It took me a long time to get to 4 star on Hal because you don't get double for sailing solo. You have to remember that not everyone sails in a suite. Also Hal didn't start counting spending until a few years ago.

Thanks for pointing out you get double for sailing solo on Princess. I should have included that information.

The tier benefits are better on Princess . I haven't found free internet or insurance upgrade anywhere on the Mariner system.

After 5 cruises on Princess i get

1 - Free internet (amount varies buy cruise length)

2 - Platinum Insurance for the same price as standard

3 - Evening lounge

4 - Priority boarding

After 15 cruises (all the above plus)

1 - Free Laundry

2 - One bar set up per trip

3 - Appies on every formal night

4 - 10% discount in shops onboard

On HAL -- when they started the Star Mariner program we were already well over 200 actual sailing days for the 4 stars. Then when HAL added the 5 Star program -- again we were already well over 500 actual sailing days.

HAL also has the medal program still going on. We hit Platinum a few years ago -- 700 actual sailing days. On this program you can not count extra days for staying in a suite or for spending. The last tier is 1400 or 1500 -- I can't remember how many actual sailing days. Then it is by invitation only. I know we will never hit that number of days as we both have too many health issues.

So -- which is better?? Princess or HAL?? HAL does make it easy to get to the 4 star status compared to Princess's program.

Thanks so much for adding information about the HAL medal program. While it doesn't effect us personally, I hope that HAL gives future consideration to those who are solo since some other cruise lines factor this in gaining additional days or charging less than 200%.

Edited by qsuzi

The tier benefits are better on Princess . I haven't found free internet or insurance upgrade anywhere on the Mariner system.

After 5 cruises on Princess i get

1 - Free internet (amount varies buy cruise length)

2 - Platinum Insurance for the same price as standard

3 - Evening lounge

4 - Priority boarding

After 15 cruises (all the above plus)

1 - Free Laundry

2 - One bar set up per trip

3 - Appies on every formal night

4 - 10% discount in shops onboard

Thanks for adding information on tier benefits. Sailing HAL has delayed us reaching Elite status on Princess until early 2017 :)

Ditto :)

To me, it seems more important how good are the benefits of each.

It doesn't mean much to reach a particular level if the amenities attached to it are not of value or mean anything to me. Each decides which features matter to them.

Four Star Mariner free laundry doesn't mean anything to someone in a suite. It's like 'paying double' for the same thing. Suites get included laundry, pressing and dry cleaning. :rolleyes: Same for priority boarding, disembarkation and tendering. They are duplicated between suite and Four Star Mariner. :rolleyes:

Edited by sail7seas

To me, it seems more important how good are the benefits of each.

It doesn't mean much to reach a particular level if the amenities attached to it are not of value or mean anything to me. Each decides which features matter to them.

Four Star Mariner free laundry doesn't mean anything to someone in a suite. It's like 'paying double' for the same thing. Suites get included laundry, pressing and dry cleaning. :rolleyes: Same for priority boarding, disembarkation and tendering. They are duplicated between suite and Four Star Mariner. :rolleyes:

We were in a Vista Suite on the Veendam and a Signature Suite on the Westerdam and got 1 extra CDC for each day sailed. We DID NOT get included laundry, pressing, dry cleaning and did not bet priority boarding, disembarkation, and tendering. Do 5 -Stars get the option of disembarking prior to those who are "Expedite" because they are carrying their own bags off?

Edited by qsuzi

Probably true for those of you with the suite life! But for someone who has never been through the door of a suite-- and probably never will it is not a problem --not paying twice. I would bet that there are more many more like me than ones in suites so the thought of a dinner in the fancier restaurant or extra drinks while on board is a treat . Maybe way down the list of reasons to choose a particular line for a particular journey these "treats" factor in. At the suite level, there is not much left over to give that doesn' t get into real money. What would you like to see for suite guests who also rank highly in loyalty. I once got to the lunch for "well traveled" and that was nice really nice but some were complaining about the "pedestrian wines". To whom much is given--still not enough![emoji41]

Probably true for those of you with the suite life! But for someone who has never been through the door of a suite-- and probably never will it is not a problem --not paying twice. I would bet that there are more many more like me than ones in suites so the thought of a dinner in the fancier restaurant or extra drinks while on board is a treat . Maybe way down the list of reasons to choose a particular line for a particular journey these "treats" factor in. At the suite level, there is not much left over to give that doesn' t get into real money. What would you like to see for suite guests who also rank highly in loyalty. I once got to the lunch for "well traveled" and that was nice really nice but some were complaining about the "pedestrian wines". To whom much is given--still not enough![emoji41]

There are many more just like you and some of us now usually sailing Suites had many many cruises in non-Suites. Change a factor you qualify for and you will get to the higher tiers faster or slower depending on the cruise line. Many on Princess got to higher tiers faster because they took short cruises and meet the # of cruises factor. IMHO all cruise lines should give more consideration in some way to those sailing solo, especially those paying 200%.

Edited by qsuzi

This is so true. We most often cruise as 3. My husband's cousin has her own cabin but IS with us and we with her. It is shabby that her cabin (often inside because of price) is More than our cabin for 2 that is outside . Very rarely do "deals" include the single. She usually does not want a cabinmate but when she does we also must share the extra. If you do not live in a paired relationship, you don't neccessarily like a shared vacation. Especially with someone you don't know. I do wish singles could travel as part of a group of friends or relatives without the Single charge

We were in a Vista Suite on the Veendam and a Signature Suite on the Westerdam and got 1 extra CDC for each day sailed. We DID NOT get included laundry, pressing, dry cleaning and did not bet priority boarding, disembarkation, and tendering. Do 5 -Stars get the option of disembarking prior to those who are "Expedite" because they are carrying their own bags off?

Sorry, I wasn't clear and my post was confusing.

When I said Suite, I should have said Neptune or Pinnacle Suite. We get included laundry, pressing and dry cleaning. To get free laundry for being Four or in my case Five Star Mariner is not worth anything. I am already paying for that laundry to be done.

Expedited Disembarkation goes first.

Edited by sail7seas

Sorry, I wasn't clear and my post was confusing.

When I said Suite, I should have said Neptune or Pinnacle Suite. We get included laundry, pressing and dry cleaning. To get free laundry for being Four or in my case Five Star Mariner is not worth anything. I am already paying for that laundry to be done.

Expedited Disembarkation goes first.

Thanks for the clarification Sail. I wonder what it means where it lists "Priority disembarkation" for 4 and 5 star Mariner's.

<snip>

What would you like to see for suite guests who also rank highly in loyalty. I once got to the lunch for "well traveled" and that was nice really nice but some were complaining about the "pedestrian wines". To whom much is given--still not enough![emoji41]

Actually. you and qsuzi provided a very good response to 'what would I want' as a Five Star Mariner...........

I'd like to not have to pay 200% for booking a solo cabin. :)

As a Platinum Medallion holder and way over Five Star number of days, that would be a meaningful benefit to offer.

Thanks for the clarification Sail. I wonder what it means where it lists "Priority disembarkation" for 4 and 5 star Mariner's.

Priority means we can have the first color/number called.

My late DH and I always disembarked right after the carry your own luggage people.

I've been thinking about your post but I don't quite get how you've come to the conclusion that it's easier to get to 4 stars on Hal. On princess you need 15 cruises to get to elite, I believe. They can be short or long. You could do 15, 3 day cruises for a total of 45 days. It you were solo it would be half of that or 23 days. I don't think it's possible to make it to 4 star with 23 days on HAL, is it?

Now that Princess has all the shortie cruises it's pretty easy to get to Elite if you really want it. Some people book a solo suite for a one day cruise and it's like 3 cruises. I know a lot of people who booked shorties just to get to Elite. HAL has no recognition for people who book solo and are paying 200% for their cabins. While Princess doesn't often have great deals for solos they do recognize them in the loyalty program.

If you are interested in internet, you get free internet on Princess after 4 sailings. With HAL, you get 50% off a 100 minutes program after 500, yes 500 days. When I sent an email to HAL's mariner society about this, their reply was they give the benefits that HAL's members are requesting, such as a picture of the ship, a collectible gift, and discounts on HAL merchandise online. I think they need to update the internet for Mariners. Other benefits such as free laundry and 50% off wine packages and free laundry are nice at the four star level.

When I sent an email to HAL's mariner society about this, their reply was they give the benefits that HAL's members are requesting, such as a picture of the ship,

I want to meet those folks who prefer a picture of the ship to better internet pricing!

Has it been/will it be quicker for you to reach higher levels on HAL vs Princess (or other cruise lines)?

My HAL and Princess cruises are very limited. I've spent 19 nights on 2 HAL cruises and 10 nights on 3 Princess cruises....paid for standard balcony rooms on all 5 cruises. I'm still 1 Star with HAL, but I'm Ruby with Princess. I even received extra credits with HAL for onboard spending. I think I'm 2 points away from 2 Star.

So yes, the Princess program does progress faster.

But for me, Celebrity was the easiest because they and RCI award reciprocal status to each other.

I've been thinking about your post but I don't quite get how you've come to the conclusion that it's easier to get to 4 stars on Hal. On princess you need 15 cruises to get to elite, I believe. They can be short or long. You could do 15, 3 day cruises for a total of 45 days. It you were solo it would be half of that or 23 days. I don't think it's possible to make it to 4 star with 23 days on HAL, is it?

That's a great plan to sail a number of short cruises if you live near a port that does those cruises. Not so great if you have to fly cross continent. What you'd pay in airfare would make those shorty cruises quite costly and how much would you be paying for that 'elite level'?

If you are interested in internet, you get free internet on Princess after 4 sailings. With HAL, you get 50% off a 100 minutes program after 500, yes 500 days. When I sent an email to HAL's mariner society about this, their reply was they give the benefits that HAL's members are requesting, such as a picture of the ship, a collectible gift, and discounts on HAL merchandise online. I think they need to update the internet for Mariners. Other benefits such as free laundry and 50% off wine packages and free laundry are nice at the four star level.

The Free and Discounted dinners in Pinnacle are nice benefit.

I agree not that many would prefer a photo of the ship over some free internet. :)