Obstructed GTY Poll

Steelers36

Here's an easy one that will only take you a few seconds to respond to.

For anyone who booked a GTY Obstructed on either Royal Class (RP,GP) or Grand Class (KP,EP,RU,CB) IN THE PAST 12 MTHS, please indicate:

(1) Which ship

(2) When confirmed did you get assigned an Obstructed or something better (doesn't matter how much better - just non-obstructed and could be Reg or Dlx).

Thanks!!

On the Royal October 11. We bought a guaranteed (obstructed) balcony and were assign a non-obstructed cabin on deck 8 at the extreme back of the ship. I called and they moved me to a better location on deck 14 much closer to middle the of the ship.

KP, January 3...booked INSIDE GTY...

Within 2 weeks of sailing, IIRC, were assigned UNOBSTRUCTED OV...

But, also, IIRC, no one else on our Roll Call did quite as well...

I don't know how they decide these things...

Does Captain's Circle status account for anything?

Or when you booked, perhaps?

Or fare paid?

I've always figured it's just luck of the draw...

Always count on getting the worst possible cabin...If they upgrade you, consider it a bonus...

Just got assigned to a mid ship Caribe deck balcony (B2 Premium) on the Ruby. Paid for a BF balcony GTY.

The other time we tried a balcony GTY we went from BE to BB Caribe deck.

On the Star a year ago or so we were offered a balcony from Obstructed for $99. We did it since it was a 10 day. Princess has been kind to us in GTY and upgrades offers.

We booked 20 nights on Royal for October 2015 Balcony guarantee. Out TA said we may have to move cabins after first 10 nights. On Cruise personalizer it stated BZ Guarantee and we got an assigned DW obstructed on deck 8. E521 for both sailings. I don't know how booking balcony guarantee turns into a balcony with obstructed view but maybe our TA wasn't honest about what we were booking. Looking at the catagories it is an upgrade but not what we expected.

We booked 20 nights on Royal for October 2015 Balcony guarantee. Out TA said we may have to move cabins after first 10 nights. On Cruise personalizer it stated BZ Guarantee and we got an assigned DW obstructed on deck 8. E521 for both sailings. I don't know how booking balcony guarantee turns into a balcony with obstructed view but maybe our TA wasn't honest about what we were booking. Looking at the categories it is an upgrade but not what we expected.

Hi, Miss. Thanks for participating. You did get a true upgrade as you went from a Regular Balcony (Bx) to a Deluxe Balcony (Dx). The Deluxe's have a few additional square feet and a love seat sofa. Also, "W" is considered better than "Z", so you did improve, albeit still Obstructed (or perhaps Partially Obstructed). (You probably know that any Deluxe is considered an upgrade over any Regular, but I doubt Princess would upgrade a BA to a DZ - even their pricing doesn't reflect that kind of move).

And we know booking GTY that we have to expect nothing and anything - at the same time (LOL). I admit if I were you I'd be just a little disappointed, but still happy since I got a little more space, plus a sofa and I'd prefer the "W" zone over the "Z" zone. I confess one of our cruises is a DW GTY, so obviously I will be okay if that's where I end up this time.

Edited by steelers36

Very nice jbal47.

To the two upsells for $99 - although not an assignment from a GTY Obstructed booking, those are both great worthy upsells I would take as well ($10/day).

Thanks to all who have participated and keep 'em coming.

Remember looking for those booked in past year as Obstructed Balcony or Obstructed Deluxe Balcony and then what you got assigned. So, BZ thru BV and DZ thru DV GTY original bookings.

:cool::)

• 5 months later...

Booked BZ (obstructed balcony guarantee) on the Regal in Feb 2015 for March 2015 and was assigned an UNobstructed Deluxe balcony category DB or DC On the caribe dec within 3 days. Booked direct with Princess on that particular cruise

This year they have offered to let me pay for an upgrade vs a complimentary upgrade

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the Royal in December 2015. Booked Deluxe Balcony Obstructed and was offered an upsell to a mid-ship mini-suite which we declined. Received what we booked but the "obstruction" really wasn't one. Liked the mid-ship location too. E515 IIRC.

For our upcomming adventure on the Grand on March 26th (16 more days!), we booked a GTY obstructed OV for the 1st time, lowest catorgory we could get. 3 mths ago we were assinged one of the 6 deluxe OV cabins on the Lido deck. We are beyond thrilled!

Happy Planning, Sharon

Last year we booked a guaranteed inside on the Diamond (Aus/NZ) were immediately upgraded to a obstructed OV guarantee and waited until about 2 weeks out to be assigned an almost completely obstructed cabin (although in a good location).

This year we booked a obstructed guarantee balcony on the TA Royal in April and about 50 days out received a midship unobstructed balcony. BY to BA. Full disclosure though we booked through a TA and paid less for the balcony than an inside, so we are pretty happy.

We almost always book an obstructed OV room when sailing on the Grand Class -- certainly when a balcony doesn't fit into our budget.

We book early and use Renmar's site every time and have sent this link to friends that are traveling with us.

I have sailed in E416 a couple of times on the Grand class and E403 on the Crown. I have also sailed in E619 twice on the Star and E605 on the Grand. I love sailing while on the Emerald deck -- it is so conveniently located and that natural light that you get, especially if you get a room with very little obstruction! It is so worth the money spent over an inside cabin. To me -- best value on the ship.