What's it called and is it available in Vancouver?

dbeckett

I can't remember what the package is called when people sailing are allowed to have friends on board to see what a Princess ship is like. If memory serves me right there is a fee which is deducted from the cost if the friends book a cruise after having done the package/tour. I think there is lunch in the main dining room as well as a tour. If anyone can tell me the name I can do a search for it (here and on Princess). If anyone has done it - is it worth it and lastly is it available in Vancouver?

Thanks

Clearing US Customs has nothing to do with the BVEs. I have done several on other cruise lines in Vancouver and it isn't an issue. You get a visitor's pass and are off the ship long before sail away. Travel agent take groups on the ships for tours on a regular basis so maybe it's just the average person they don't want wandering around. Doesn't make sense to me. Someone who goes on for a BVE might wind up becoming a Princess cruiser in the future. Win/win situation.

The package ia only US ports. All passengers in Vancouver clear US immigration before boarding.

Also not even true. We did not clear customs in Vancouver on our recent Grand cruise from Vancouver to San Fran as we stopped in Victoria the next morning. We cleared US immigration on the ship in port in San Fran.

Also not even true. We did not clear customs in Vancouver on our recent Grand cruise from Vancouver to San Fran as we stopped in Victoria the next morning. We cleared US immigration on the ship in port in San Fran.

That doesn't even matter. I'm sure there are reasons for Princess not to offer the BVE outside the U.S.

The cruise you were on there was no point to clearing customs in Vancouver, you would have had to clear again in San Fran, as you visited a foreign port. You only clear customs in Vancouver if your next stop is a US port.

That doesn't even matter. I'm sure there are reasons for Princess not to offer the BVE outside the U.S.
Because the BVE has to be coordinated with the TSA in the US. It would have to be coordinated with Canadian Immigration officials and possibly the TSA if passengers are clearing US Immigration in Vancouver. I think it would be far more complicated to arrange in Canada. This would take manpower, time and work for perhaps one port or two, costing Princess far more money that the ROI. Always follow the money. :) Edited by Pam in CA

I know I late in getting back to this but I obviously forgot to click the email when I get a response button.

I am disappointed to hear that my Canadian friends will not be able to sample a Princess ship - I have been trying to persuade them for some time to try a cruise and thought it would be a great way to encourage them to do it.

The comment from Working 2 Cruise that Princess have other reasons for Princess not making BVE available outside the US reinforced my thought that Princess treats anyone that isn't a US citizen as a second class cruiser. I initially came up with this idea when I was living in Canada and couldn't get a Princess Credit Card. Then there are all the various deals which they have now expanded to Canada (but were originally only available to US citizens) but leaves the rest of the world out. I also find it interesting that over here there is a price to call them on the equivalent of the 0800 number (and it costs more to cruise from the UK) so why no free phone calls to them. I only found that out after I had made a change to what I think will be the last Princess cruise (B2B in a suite) I'm sure they won't miss us.

I know I late in getting back to this but I obviously forgot to click the email when I get a response button.

I am disappointed to hear that my Canadian friends will not be able to sample a Princess ship - I have been trying to persuade them for some time to try a cruise and thought it would be a great way to encourage them to do it.

Your friends can easily book one and three day cruises either from Seattle to Vancouver or Vancouver to San Francisco or LA. Princess does a lot of these in the fall for repositioning and they tend to be very cheap. We've booked balconies on a one day for less than 200 US and suites for 500 on a three day. Good way to see if you like a cruise ship, although these are so rushed you won't experience everything. Worth it just for the food...

We live in Vancouver and have done several BVE's. Two in the past month: one with RCL on the Radiance of the Sea and one on the Star Princess.

I would suggest calling your TA or Princess to see what is available, in all likelihood it would be next year as most ships have already sailed south.

My understanding is that not all ships offer it but the cruise lines do make accommodation for a few each season on select ships.

They are great fun!