Cruising with a Baby - Princess

sillycar83

Hey Everyone!

My husband and I will be travelling with our 8 month old daughter, Grandma is coming to watch her for us. Does anyone have any experience travell8ng with a baby on Princess. We would love to know the ins and outs, how food works out and any tips anyone may have for travelling with an infant. We will be in the Caribbean. She is a sudden addition to our cruise as things were not working out for leaving her at home (she is not weaning well). Any advice and tips are welcome!

Thanks!

You will need to bring ALL baby stuff...foods, formulas (if you're not breastfeeding, which is a snap! It's the easiest, most foolproof way to feed a child!)..diapers, wipes, medications, stroller, blow up tub for bathing (unless you have a suite with a tub), etc.....and any medications specifically for the baby. The ship sells none of that stuff!

Other than the all the paraphenalia you will need, nothing in your daily routine should be any different. This will be a great family vacation!

Edited by cb at sea

You will need to bring ALL baby stuff...foods.... The ship sells none of that stuff!

Baby food can be ordered (free) in advance. From a Princess thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2055565.

When you have made a reservation, you go to the Passenger Check-in tab and click on Medical and Dietary Requests where you can request a high chair and/or baby food.

Post #16 on the referenced thread explains what happens next by quoting the reply from Princess:

We have received correspondence requesting baby food and are pleased to advise we will be able to accommodate your needs.

We offer Stage 1 and Stage 2 baby food. Stage 1 is available in the 2.5 oz. size and Stage 2 in the 4.0 oz. size. We also provide baby juices in 4 oz. size bottles and rice cereal in 8 oz. size boxes. Kindly note that for all ships sailing in and around North America and Europe, the brand supplier is Gerber. For all ships sailing in and around Australia and New Zealand, the preferred and supplied brand is Heinz. All foods come in an assortment and the selections are made onboard.

You may request certain flavors and/or advise us if the child is allergic or dislikes any flavors, but we cannot guarantee that we will be able to get that specific flavor.

Whole milk is readily provided onboard; however, lactose-free, rice or soy milk must be ordered in advance. These types of milks are not available in flavors.

We can also puree food for the child; this must be requested onboard and can only be accommodated in the main dining rooms. For older children, we do offer a regular children’s menu onboard.

Sounds like that would be one less thing to worry about if she decides to wean before then!

Edited by capriccio

Is Grandma involved in your babies life on a regular basis? My parents and PIL were about 9 hours away when our twins were 8 mths old. I used to feel so bad for my MIL when she would visit as one of them took days to warm up to her on visits from about 6 months to 1 1/2 yrs old and then the visit was over.They only saw her 3 or 4 times for a few days at a time over that year.

Also our oldest had a babysitter one floor up in our condo between 6 1/2 mths and 21 months. From 8 mths to over a year she would scream if DH and I left her up with the babysitter. She was fine if I took my shoes off at the door as she got older as she realized I was staying and it was just a play date with her little buddy. She was also fine if we all spent time at our condo together or went out to a restaurant together. DH/me leaving is what set her off. This is called separation anxiety and is not uncommon.

Now my sister or my DH's brother who totally doted on her and adored her could have taken her forever and she would have been perfectly fine.:D

Babies are all different but this is certainly something to look up and be prepared to deal with just in case IMO.

From what you wrote in your OP it sounds like Grandma was to be the babysitter at home which might have been easier as out of site out of mind. Hopefully all will go smoothly and everyone will have a great time away.:)

Be careful of ordering baby food on Princess' site. I know two couples who did this, and the orders were screwed up and the baby food was never delivered.

The biggest thing is to bring all medications you might need as the on board medical center is not equipped for infants.