San Juan Excursions

Kingmaker_inc

After a week long southern Caribbean cruise last December that started and ended in San Juan...we ended up staying in San Juan an additional week at the Sheraton that was directly across the street from port. I fell in LOVE with San Juan and my husband questioned if we would ever end up coming back to California. That being said, I pretty much know the lay of the land.

The port is in "old town" San Juan. There are no beaches within a few miles. For the beach, you have to jump in a very expensive taxi to go to a beach. I love the beach and make it a point to stop at every one at every stop on every cruise. Honestly, I'd skip it in San Juan. Traffic is bad, taxi's are expensive and you would be missing some of the best shopping on your cruise. Just get off the boat and go for a walk. There is a Coach outlet, beautiful architecture, a breath taking Spanish mission, a CVS drugstore (a God send if you are in need of sun screen, toiletries, shampoo etc. all sold at NORMAL American prices), street shopping...this is a not to miss spot that is safe and worth the relaxed, inexpensive day of just going for a walk. Oh...did I mention the Coach outlet??

I second the just get off and walk around idea. Old San Juan is a great port with good shopping, as mentioned, and also great ambiance. There are two colonial forts which are definitely worth checking out, as well as some great architecture. It has a very European feel IMO. There are also great restaurants. Wander around, work up an appetite, try some mofongo, maybe a mojito or two and just enjoy the port.

There are lovely beaches in Isla Verde, but private to the hotel guests. It looks like the Marriot offers a day pass, & also island marketing sells a beach day excursion. Puerto Rico is larger than most of the islands, & the best beaches are some distance from the port.

What is your time frame? If you are there early & depart in late afternoon, take the El Yunque excursion. The rainforest is a different but beautiful trip. If you are thee very late with an evening departure, go to the bioluminescent bay, a unique place.

Our last DCL trip August 2014 got one port diverted to San Juan. I had spent time there over the years for work so know the layout pretty well.

As far as a beach, we booked the Marriott via resorts for a day just as we were leaving Florida while we still had cell service. Cab ride was about $20 for five of us. Easy check in, free wifi in lobby (not by pool) nice beach with umbrellas and chairs. The kids loved body surfing in the ocean and you could go back to pool. Good security.

Our last DCL trip August 2014 got one port diverted to San Juan. I had spent time there over the years for work so know the layout pretty well.

As far as a beach, we booked the Marriott via resorts for a day just as we were leaving Florida while we still had cell service. Cab ride was about $20 for five of us. Easy check in, free wifi in lobby (not by pool) nice beach with umbrellas and chairs. The kids loved body surfing in the ocean and you could go back to pool. Good security.

I've stayed at the Marriott a bunch of times for week long vacations and I love it, but I've never been there (July, December or January) when the ocean wasn't red flagged and pretty rough. I'm a strong swimmer and I usually don't stay in for long. Their pools are really nice and the outdoor bar is great.

There are lovely beaches in Isla Verde, but private to the hotel guests. It looks like the Marriot offers a day pass, & also island marketing sells a beach day excursion. Puerto Rico is larger than most of the islands, & the best beaches are some distance from the port.

What is your time frame? If you are there early & depart in late afternoon, take the El Yunque excursion. The rainforest is a different but beautiful trip. If you are thee very late with an evening departure, go to the bioluminescent bay, a unique place.

YES! El Yunque is AMAZING! But be prepared...is a long drive away and a very long day to enjoy it and you would miss old town San Juan. Did I mention great shopping? If you prefer a hiking at the only rainforest in the USA to shopping and architecture, go for it. But do the ship excursion so you know the ship won't leave without you

Was just in San Juan for a long weekend at the end of September. The Carnival Liberty was in port for a disembarkation/embarkation day, I believe.

If you wish, you could take the Bacardi distillery tour. The cruise ships dock at Pier 4; if you walk to Pier 2, you can get a ferry across the bay for $1/pp/rt. Once you're on the other side, follow the directions of the gentleman to the right to grab a taxi van for $3/pp/one way to the distillery. Then you can take the tour and then get a return cab (again $3/pp) at their parking lot.

--Michael

If you decide to just walk around in Old San Juan be sure to stop at the Barrachina restaurant

and have a Pina Colads. it is the home of the Pina Colada . Thay are awesome.. Charlie

YES!!! YES!!!

I couldn't remember the name of the place!! Piña coladas made with real coconut cream and the best rum on earth!!

We are thinking of doing the NCL hiking tour of El Yunque since we will have some OBC to use. Has anyone done this tour with NCL? What places are covered in the tour (La Coca waterfall, Yokahu Tower, La Mina waterfall, etc)? How long was the entire tour? Would appreciate any inputs.