Any Storm Damage Reports From Coco Cay?

urc12

I was wondering if anyone has heard any storm damage reports from Coco Cay? I believe that it is on the southern tip of Eleuthra and that the island was hit particularly hard.

Coco Cay is at the northern end of the Berry Islands, maybe 150 mi northwest of Eleuthra. I've not heard any reports about Coco Cay.

Coco Cay is at the northern end of the Berry Islands, maybe 150 mi northwest of Eleuthra. I've not heard any reports about Coco Cay.

Thank you. I don't know why I thought it was Eleuthra. Maybe I got it confused with Princess Cay.

Thank you. I don't know why I thought it was Eleuthra. Maybe I got it confused with Princess Cay.

I'm just hoping that Coco Cay was farther away from the most damaging winds and rain. We will find out soon with Enchantment due there tomorrow.

Edited by clarea

One of the islands that was most affected was San Salvador, where Club Med Columbus Isle was. The island is severely damaged. Club Med is basically gone. This is horrifying because their freshwater aquifer is gone and Club Med had a desalination plant running, providing the whole village there with potable water. The airport is non functional, but American airlines hopes to get it functional by about October 18... maybe. Long and Crooked islands, nearly obliterated. If you remember that is the location near Crooked Island, where the container ship El Faro when down in the middle of the level four hurricane just a few days ago. We are from Florida and are all hoping, but today they told everyone the ship must have sunk, and they don't hold out much hope for any survivors, awful. There were 33 crew onboard. Bless the hurricane hunters, they flew those planes at very low altitude into the hurricane to try desperately to find the poor crew, but could not see anything. Rum and Ragged Cay, also almost obliterated. Acklins Islands severely affected. Our friends sent us heartbreaking you tube of Bahamas recon helicopters flying over area of the villages, maybe one home standing, badly damaged and everything else flooded.

I am wondering the same thing. We're going this coming up Friday so I can report back if you'd like.....

We are also cruising Friday-on Majesty. Hoping we get into CocoCay b/c last year when our friends went with us we did not get in and they were so disappointed, they loved it there. We go enough if we have to miss once in a while we can live with it (although I do love it there) but they only go once in a while. So hopefully it will be a nice, sunny, calm weekend.:)

One of the islands that was most affected was San Salvador, where Club Med Columbus Isle was. The island is severely damaged. Club Med is basically gone.

I think what you heard might have been exaggerated. The last report I read from Club Med themselves says they did not incur any significant structural damage. They were scheduled to re-open this month, but the re-opening was delayed until December due to minor damage from Joaquin.

http://www.clubmedta.com/weather

Edited by Aquahound

Very interesting! I think that Club Med is running on hope... although they did have a maintenance crew on the ground when it was happening. There is not much left except the power plant. Now that the water is receding we got more photos, there are some parts of a few buildings left, but they were underwater for several days, there is no roof structure left anywhere at all on the few partial buildings. We don't see anything else standing, in that vicinity. I hope for everyone on that island (all the locals) that they can reconstruct in a month. The US Coast Guard is sending cutters packed with supplied to the area, some are almost there now. One of the local private pilots that flies to great Harbor Cay from Ft. Lauderdale is on constant supply missions dropping to Long and Cooked Islands since Sunday. It is so very sad... we live in Orlando and look at that and say: it could have been us instead. I can't imaging cargo ships trying to navigate near and the debris in the sea right now, to get all the building materials they will need into Club Med property, and the airport is not open to commercial from the damage. A deserted freighter washed up on Crooked Island! Unfortunately it was not the one they are still looking for.

Any reports about damage to Half Moon Cay/Little San Salvador? It is just east of the southern tip of Eluethera, so it's closer to the hurricane than CocoCay (Little Stirrup Cay).

I was trying to track the storm using latitude and longitude as it passed through the area and it seemed as if HMC was spared anything beyond strong tropical-storm force winds, but we're due there next week....