Worst Cruise Packing Mistakes

Brittany C

I consider our worst mistake was the packing of formal wear. It takes up valuable space in our luggage which is increasingly more vital with the airlines charging for checked luggage. There are other items that we would get more benefit from on a cruise than formal wear. In our opinion the formal night dinners in the main dining room just aren't worth the hassle. I don't think we are alone in noticing that the trend today is moving away from traditional dining and formal wear.

I totally agree with you on the formal wear.

Mine pale in comparison, but...

1) When I set out my luggage the last night of our most recent Alaska cruise, I packed my closed toe shoes, socks, jeans, and jacket. My logic was...I'm an Alaskan, and it's supposed to be 70 tomorrow; I'll be fine. What I didn't think about was that DH always likes us to watch sail-in to Whittier from the deck above the bridge! I FROZE! Also, I neglected to consider that although Whittier may have warmed up to 70 eventually, it certainly wouldn't start out that way in the wee hours we would be disembarking!

2) On the same cruise, my DH forgot the new anchor tie I so lovingly (ok selfishly) bought him for Christmas to wear on cruises! [emoji35] I was quite mad...until he discovered I had forgotten the evening bag he bought me to bring on cruises, and suddenly we were even. For our upcoming cruise, those 2 items are at the top of the list!!

Do the newer TVs, this year's model, even have manual control buttons on them?

Yes, but very small, usually on the edge (could be top edge, bottom edge or a side edge) of the TV. Typically labeled on/off, channel up/down, sound higher/lower, source and menu.

Made the same mistake as many with over packing first time cruising. (but with us getting married on the ship I didn't wanted not to forget anything) When we arrived at the airport the attendant that checked in our bags asked if we were moving. LOL We now pack a lot different. I'd rather pack less and do laundry on the ship if needed. We also don't pack a formal suit for my hubby. Instead we rent through the ship. Seems like a waist of money to some people, but we do enjoy dressing up for our traditional evening dinners and he looks so darn handsome. :)

Yes, but very small, usually on the edge (could be top edge, bottom edge or a side edge) of the TV. Typically labeled on/off, channel up/down, sound higher/lower, source and menu.

Well I'll be sure to not pack my remote(s).

Made the same mistake as many with over packing first time cruising. (but with us getting married on the ship I didn't wanted not to forget anything) When we arrived at the airport the attendant that checked in our bags asked if we were moving. LOL We now pack a lot different. I'd rather pack less and do laundry on the ship if needed. We also don't pack a formal suit for my hubby. Instead we rent through the ship. Seems like a waist of money to some people, but we do enjoy dressing up for our traditional evening dinners and he looks so darn handsome. :)

I sure take advantage on the self-serve laundry facilities. Depending on the length of the cruise I'll do laundry once or twice during the trip. I pack a roll of quarters and some Tide pods (in a zip lock bag). When I got home from my first cruise I ended up with piles of dirty clothes on my living room floor. I don't recall if that NCL ship had laundry facilities for pax to use or not. I've since wised up, tho others may say they're on vacation, they're not about to do laundry. But that beats having a lot to do once I get home.

My DH realized he had left his blood pressure medication on the counter at home, when we were already at the airport hotel with no viable mechanism to catch the two ferries that would be needed to get home and back before the 0600 departure to San Juan.

The plan was to have (Major Warehouse Club) transfer the Rx to their San Juan location, and we'd pick it up the next day. Except DH was out of refills (this is now a Saturday). Practice authorized the refill, but it was a new Rx number. (Major Warehouse Club)'s policy is that they don't transfer Rxs that haven't been filled at least once, and then they decided that Puerto Rico isn't the US so they can't transfer the Rx (not true, incidentally). Pharmacist figures out workaround (fill, transfer, return fill to stock), but tech screws it up and doesn't forward the Rx to San Juan. Pharmacy promptly closes, as it's Saturday.

MD practice won't write an Rx across state lines (policy, not law). San Juan pharmacist is open Sunday, but this is eating in to my vacation time. I suggest we'll try again in St Thomas.

We're walking by a Walgreens in the Plaza Las Americas (I forgot dark socks, so we'e hitting up the JCPenney). I have an idea -I'll call my pharmacist buddy and ask him for a huge favor - DH doesn't fill at his pharmacy, but he used to use said pharmacist a decade before when he lived in that town, and the Rx hasn't changed. Call buddy, explain situation, he's like "Of course I will - have them call for a transfer. What do you need?" Give him the details, tell him to expect a call.

Go into Walgreens. Pharmacist asks how she can help, I explain DH forgot BP medication, needs a transfer from Other Pharmacy. She hands me *her transfer pad* and asks me to write down what we're doing. I had Latin in college...might as well make it look official...write the Rx details on the pad, the name and phone number of Other Pharmacy at the top.

Five minutes later, we're paged to the pharmacy. We pay, I thank her, I'm calling Pharmacist Buddy to thank him for the help. He says....."They never called".

Had I known this, I would have found something more interesting to write for than the BP medications. ;0) All this time I spent in the Caribbean, I apparently earned a medical degree and didn't even know it!

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say a big thank you for the overwhelming response to this thread! Thank you for sharing all the mistakes, tips and suggestions -- it helped a lot and is much appreciated. The story is finished, and I will be sure to send around a link when it's up on the site.

Best,

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic