How does NCL "nickel and dime" you to death?

#1TravelMom

Maywell, I just want to make sure there wasn't any confusion about who I was referring to when I mentioned a certain poster interjecting insults into the discussion. It was not you. It was that person who plays the "I'm almighty, you do the homework" game all the time, and includes condescending comments in almost every post he makes.

Are we good?

CC provides the ignore feature if true posts are causing you mental anguish.

A lot of talk, but it doesn't explain why all the ads say FREE when it is not.

What part of marketing /ads as someone like you who claims to sail NCL alot and "is highly seasoned" when it comes to cruising are you not understanding? Lets say for instead, Starbucks /Dunkin Donut /any coffee shop is offering free coffee for set time amount of time promo - You think 'Great' til you read the super fine print on the window, that it only for after 2pm til closing time and lattes/expresso/cappuccino are not part of promo, plus depending on your State, have to pay tax on it. Same principle, different companies.

I know the entire concept went right over your head because its you....I'm sure your tone of writing in your reply post will be highly upset.:rolleyes: Whatever, stay angry my friend, stay angry..:p

Edited by maywell

I asked the question because I do not think we had service charge with our UDP on Dawn this summer.

I asked why would we not? Was it because we were in Suites? Was it because of date we booked the cruise or was it because they are not regularly charging it?

First, you were in a suite so did not incur the charge.

Second, you cruised at a time when the UDP promo did not incur the service charge.

Maywell, I just want to make sure there wasn't any confusion about who I was referring to when I mentioned a certain poster interjecting insults into the discussion. It was not you. It was that person who plays the "I'm almighty, you do the homework" game all the time, and includes condescending comments in almost every post he makes.

Are we good?

Apology acceptable - it just seem your early comment was aimed at both me and Sail7seas but you explained it. And yes, that certain poster has 'issues' - one of these days I think stroke/ seizure is going to get him because he always sounds like he's on a verge of one every time he insults or go on his posting rants & raves.....Oh well, i'm sure he will live forever as Lewis Black says, lol.

A lot of talk, but it doesn't explain why all the ads say FREE when it is not.

The plan itself IS free. You do not pay anything for the basic plan.

Only the service charge part is not free, but the basic plan IS free.

What part of marketing /ads as someone like you who claims to sail NCL alot and "is highly seasoned" when it comes to cruising are you not understanding? Lets say for instead, Starbucks /Dunkin Donut /any coffee shop is offering free coffee for set time amount of time promo - You think 'Great' til you read the super fine print on the window, that it only for after 2pm til closing time and lattes/expresso/cappuccino are not part of promo, plus depending on your State, have to pay tax on it. Same principle, different companies.

I know the entire concept went right over your head because its you....I'm sure your tone of writing in your reply post will be highly upset.:rolleyes: Whatever, stay angry my friend, stay angry..:p

If you would stop trying to divert this thread to off topic subjects and explain why you think something advertised as FREE should have mandatory charges added when you use it, everything would be simple. I am not angry. I am trying to get simple answers. Don't let emotions overcome common sense.

Edited by swedish weave

First, you were in a suite so did not incur the charge.

Second, you cruised at a time when the UDP promo did not incur the service charge.

Actually the UDP was incurring a service charge since like April this year - there still people that booked before then that still haven't sailed yet.

Apology acceptable - it just seem your early comment was aimed at both me and Sail7seas but you explained it. And yes, that certain poster has 'issues' - one of these days I think stroke/ seizure is going to get him because he always sounds like he's on a verge of one every time he insults or go on his posting rants & raves.....Oh well, i'm sure he will live forever as Lewis Black says, lol.

Glad that I was able to clear that up. You and I seem think alike on many things. Allies, so to speak. ;)

I wish that poster would just go away. He never adds value to any discussion. Instead, he only adds negativity. And if he is questioned about his statements, the insults begin. He never wavers in his stubborn "I am right and you are wrong" attitude. Every thread he participates in ends up being polluted with his insults and condescending comments towards others. I have never encountered a more distasteful character on these boards. He is on my ignore list, so I am blessed with never directly seeing his nonsensical rants anymore. Unfortunately, because his comments are so outrageous he is often quoted so his blather ends up circumventing the ignore function when I read a reply to his posts by someone else. :mad:

Edited by sloopsailor

I get ads for free cruises and ads from NCL for free gratuities and UBP plus other items, and asked in a post that has been deleted why one is considered fraudulent and the other is not. Apparently, someone thought that post was too close to a nerve and had it deleted before I could see if my question was answered.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is ????

If you would stop trying to divert this thread to off topic subjects and explain why you think something advertised as FREE should have mandatory charges added when you use it, everything would be simple. I am not angry. I am trying to get simple answers. Don't let emotions overcome common sense.

Again, there's an asterisk* right in the 2 promos in questions, that's a red flag in marketing / ads / promos to read the fine print. Not my fault or issue that your critical thinking skills are lacking when it comes to questioning a "too good to be true" deal.

My common sense is working perfectly fine - its why i didn't bother to pick neither of the 2 promos for one of trips because it useless to me. Its your emotions that getting the better of you since you seem to want that 'free' drink badly but not liking you have to pay service charges for a drink package that normally sells for $64 a day with a 18% autotip before boarding, lol. (that actually makes me laugh when I think about it - crying about paying $69.12 tips for a 7 day trip, and the drinks are unlimited with no cutoff amount in terms of how many to get in a span of 2-5 minutes, unless you're stupid drunk to the point of death to the bartender's eyes on NCL. Man, that's funny...The things people complain about, lol:p)

Again, there's an asterisk* right in the 2 promos in questions, that's a red flag in marketing / ads / promos to read the fine print. Not my fault or issue that your critical thinking skills are lacking when it comes to questioning a "too good to be true" deal.

My common sense is working perfectly fine - its why i didn't bother to pick neither of the 2 promos for one of trips because it useless to me. Its your emotions that getting the better of you since you seem to want that 'free' drink badly but not liking you have to pay service charges for a drink package that normally sells for $64 a day with a 18% autotip before boarding, lol. (that actually makes me laugh when I think about it - crying about paying $69.12 tips for a 7 day trip, and the drinks are unlimited with no cutoff amount in terms of how many to get in a span of 2-5 minutes, unless you're stupid drunk to the point of death to the bartender's eyes on NCL. Man, that's funny...The things people complain about, lol:p)

Whether or not I buy the package doesn't fit the subject of this thread. I don't care if others accept it or not. What I do care about is truth in advertising and the fact that the present management of NCL is engaging in uncouth practices with their recent antics.

Edited by swedish weave

Glad that I was able to clear that up. You and I seem think alike on many things. Allies, so to speak. ;)

I wish that poster would just go away. He never adds value to any discussion. Instead, he only adds negativity. And if he is questioned about his statements, the insults begin. He never wavers in his stubborn "I am right and you are wrong" attitude. Every thread he participates in ends up being polluted with his insults and condescending comments towards others. I have never encountered a more distasteful character on these boards. He is on my ignore list, so I am blessed with never directly seeing his nonsensical rants anymore. Unfortunately, because his comments are so outrageous he is often quoted so his blather ends up circumventing the ignore function when I read a reply to his posts by someone else. :mad:

Sorry about quoting him - I'm noticing how much of a major PITA he is on this board just as he is on the NCL board. I 'm apologizing also for all future posts too because that how much 'fill in the blank" he is - I'll try to limit quoting the fool as much as possible for those that have him on ignore.

The only good thing coming out of his ranting and raving fallout with NCL is (by extension some other posters that having a fallout with them as well) is that NCL is sticking to their guns with their changes and aiming of certain demographics - which I have to give NCL some due credit for. They pretty much told, heavy-handily in different ways - if passengers don't like the changes/policies /fees, don't sail us. Okay, fine - there's Royal, Carnival, Princess, Holland, etc out there with Mytime / Anytime dining, plus drinks and specialty dining; I'm sure they will take NCL former passengers with open arms. AKA different strokes for different folks and there's a cruise line for every budget and want/need.

So even if NCL can't be accused of nickel and diming for charging service charges for plans they give away the fact remains that they still charge for things that other cruise lines charge for or they charge more for the same things that other lines charge for (either of which qualifies as nickel and diming. 18% for bar gratuities versus 15% on other lines, $7.95 delivery charge for room service, charging more for internet than other lines, etc. Yes, most of these items are not mandatory and are easily avoidable, but that doesn't change the nickel and dime nature of the charges. Yes, as a business NCL has the right to set their prices as they see fit and as consumers we have the choice of picking them or their competition, but again this doesn't change the nickel and dime nature of the charges.

There's about 4 posters here who historically have been pretty zealous in their defending of NCL but in this thread are starting to acknowledge what many of us have been seeing for years. Frankly, I'm a little surprised by a couple of them.

Anyways, what will always remain are the few staunch zealots who continue to make excuses for everything NCL does, as is very evident in this thread. I think maywell might have a bit of objectophilia going on.

By the way, where's the OP?

Edited by Cruzaholic41

So even if NCL can't be accused of nickel and diming for charging service charges for plans they give away the fact remains that they still charge for things that other cruise lines charge for or they charge more for the same things that other lines charge for (either of which qualifies as nickel and diming. 18% for bar gratuities versus 15% on other lines, $7.95 delivery charge for room service, charging more for internet than other lines, etc. Yes, most of these items are not mandatory and are easily avoidable, but that doesn't change the nickel and dime nature of the charges. Yes, as a business NCL has the right to set their prices as they see fit and as consumers we have the choice of picking them or their competition, but again this doesn't change the nickel and dime nature of the charges.

And yet.......no one DIED FROM IT.

There's about 4 posters here who historically have been pretty zealous in their defending of NCL but in this thread are starting to acknowledge what many of us have been seeing for years. Frankly, I'm a little surprised by a couple of them.

Anyways, what will always remain are the few staunch zealots who continue to make excuses for everything NCL does, as is very evident in this thread. I think maywell might have a bit of objectophilia going on.

By the way, where's the OP?

Didn't know being an educated consumer by looking at the T&C of 'free' stuff was objectophilia. Glad I'm not blind follower of a favorite line and their 'free' anything while at same time ignorantly bashing others without looking at the offers or math behind it. [emoji57]

You stick to your line with it cutbacks in complimentary service while paying max with your spouse/family. And I'll definitely stick with one of my favorite lines with their additional fees in nickel & diming stuff that I don't have to get at all while enjoying low fares and perks for a solo traveler. Lol.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I've never seen anyone die from it.

I know. Weird. huh?

Not just that - if your hand hurts from just signing off receipts (which everyone has to do because they can't just spring it on someone); maybe one shouldn't sign their signature every time. If handing off the card every time to buy a 'free' alcoholic drink or a 'free' specialty meal at an extra fee restaurant is crushing your soul or giving you a heart attack/stroke/ seizure/aneurysm - maybe need to stop doing that, lol. Just saying...

You're right luddite, hasn't killed anyone yet, but some people act like it killed them. Yet, they're still posting, so I guess the nickel&diming shock wasn't enough to off them this mortal coil, lol.[emoji57] [emoji13]

We find that all of the mass market cruise lines...NCL, Carnival, HAL, Celebrity, Princess, RCI etc to be the same when it comes to nickel and diming.

They have to. Price competition on fares is brutal-especially seven day cruises. They need to pick up additional revenue and profit somewhere in order to remain profitable. Not saying that we like it because we do not.

I suppose setting the bar as low as possible is one way to go through life.

Well there's also not shopping/buying/traveling/banking/etc over there, especially when it something you really don't need to live. NCL is not the only cruise line nor its a basic necessitie to live - and if you believe that it happen to be both, you need mental help.

First, I would expect any restaurant to replace an entrée that we didn't like. That happens in most restaurants, especially in higher end ones.

Carnival and RCL absolutely do charge for a second entrée though. Maybe some of the higher priced lines like princess haven't adopted this policy yet. But it is true on multiple lines. I'll check HAL policy when we dine in the pinnacle at the end of the month.

I've never see anyone charged for a second entrée on Celebrity or Crystal.

Every cruise line charges for "choice items". No one can be nickeled and dimed unless they allow it. On NCL, no one is forced to have room service, go to a specialty restaurant, have a cocktail, etc. If you don't want to pay the 18% gratuity on the UBP or UDP perk, then decline the perk. It is real easy not to give your money to a business, if you don't believe they should get it. One could cruise nicely without spending a dime, other than the DSC and you can pre-pay that and walk off the ship not owing a nickel or a dime.

Nickel-and-diming has nothing to do with whether or not those costs are hidden or obvious. It's about a lot of little, added costs for ordinary things and for things that are typically included (or commonly included with the competitors). It's also not about whether or not one chooses to pay those costs. You could choose not to pay that little bit extra for the mustard or mayo on your sandwich, but it's still nickel and diming for the deli to charge extra for that mustard or mayo.