Observations about Britain by an American

Bob++

Was Prince William (Kate's husband) not available to collect his son and wife from hospital so Harry stood in for him!! Yes, we do like a joke.

Of course that was my error. Dumb American!! But the point was the weapons on the Royals security team were obvious, even though there were trying to conceal them.

Of course that was my error. Dumb American!! But the point was the weapons on the Royals security team were obvious, even though there were trying to conceal them.

Never admit to an error, Bruce.;)

Better to say something like ..........

"It's not my place to comment on the scurrilous rumours about Kate and Harry" :D

JB :)

I read this originally on Facebook. I find the fork thing strange as cutting up your food and then swapping the fork to another hand is a waste of energy. As a Brit I don't think we will ever change the dreadful American gun laws. I saw on the news the day before yesterday where a child of 9 shot somebody. Very unlikely to happen in Europe thank goodness.

If some child of 9 shot someone....we didn't hear of it. Crime is crime. We all have it.

I beg to differ with several points, but agree wholeheartedly on others! Many of the ideas are based on assumption or a lack of understanding.

While visiting our English friends who were living in Brussels at the time, we had a discussion about healthcare. They were under the assumption that if one did not have health insurance in the USA and they were in a car accident, they would be left in road! How extremely intelligent, well educated people could think that, boggles the mind!! American gives billions and billions of dollars to people and countries all over the world and we are going to leave one of our injured citizens in the street for lack of insurance??? Perception?

The other very important point....No window screens!!! LOL! We stayed at our friends house in South Devon and during the night, due to a lack of AC, the room became quite stuffy. So I opened the window and I think every moth that had been just waiting outside that window for 200 years, flew into the room!!!! LOL! I couldn't close the window fast enough!

Obama a hero? Well you just don't understand.

I hold my fork in my left hand...but I am left handed. Most people here in the US eat with their dominant hand (and most are right handed)....less messy I suppose!

Edited by suzyed

Of course British police carry guns depending on their operation, but don't carry them on a daily basis. However, they always seem very reluctant to use them, which isn't always the case in the US and other countries.

I was always brought up to respect the police, which doesn't seem to be the case these days.

Only police with very special training are allowed to be armed. HOWEVER, if you spend time in tourist areas with a lot of military and, possibly, royals appearing, you will not only see police with guns but automatic weapons, especially during events such as Queen's Birthday Parade, opening of Parliament, etc. Britain has had its share of terrorist incidents and they don't take chances.

• 2 weeks later...