Breakaway Helicopter evac

Pumbaamd

That is amazing how precise they are. Thanks for posting the video.

I hope the woman that was airlifted is okay.

I agree... I was thoroughly impressed with the pilot's flying, and I'm sure the captain/officers on the BA played their part as well.

I'm also a little surprised a ship the size of the BA doesn't have an actual landing pad.

I'm also a little surprised a ship the size of the BA doesn't have an actual landing pad.

Just a winch only pad on BA/GA and BA+. Landing a helo at an, with all due respect, un- or rarely practiced crew is a great risk for anyone. Winching is safer, cheaper and most times the preferred method by helo crews.

Bringing the cruise line's nurse surprised me, doesn't that affect the limitations of the ship's sick bay?

Landing a helo at an, with all due respect, un- or rarely practiced crew is a great risk for anyone. Winching is safer, cheaper and most times the preferred method by helo crews.

The crew can be trained (I know that the car ferry crews between Finland and Sweden practice landing with the coast guard helos regularily), but the main reason is that the ship's bow can move up and down several meters (dozen feet) in mere seconds because of the waves - landing on a ship even with top notch crews on both the helo and the ship is still extremely dangerous, even compared to winching.

Edited by Demonyte

We watched this happen and was on this sailing. I took tons of pictures that I still need to download onto my computer. It was one heck of a night when the captain took a quick sharp turn to the right and full force ahead to get her there. We were rocking and rolling all night. It was quite the ride and the Captain apologized the next morning. But I'm so glad to hear the woman is stable.