Help, last minute dress dilemma, flying out tomorrow!

pm2006

First time we've sailed out of the States (we're from the UK) and I am wondering what to take for the evenings? Do ladies generally wear long dresses or short cocktail dresses for the formal nights and do they dress up for the other evenings or should I take more casual dresses? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Regards

Jane

Short answer...yes. I've seen everything - formal nights are split fairly evenly long dresses, coctail dresses, pantsuits. Other nights in dining room are more casual, but some dress up for those times too. And many are dressed quite casually. The specialty restaurants don't require the formal attire on formal nights, same with the buffet. That probably doesn't help a whole lot, but that's what I've observed.

For formal evenings, you will see both long and cocktail dresses. I usually pack a little black dress for formal nights so I can get more than one wear out of it (dress it up with different accessories). For normal nights, I generally wear a sundress (for warmer climates) or dress pants and top.

Have fun on your cruise! Hope this helps!

Short answer...yes. I've seen everything - formal nights are split fairly evenly long dresses, coctail dresses, pantsuits. Other nights in dining room are more casual, but some dress up for those times too. And many are dressed quite casually. The specialty restaurants don't require the formal attire on formal nights, same with the buffet. That probably doesn't help a whole lot, but that's what I've observed.

^^^^^ There she be.

Agree with bluenoser2. But then again, I am a former Bluenoser.:D

10 Nights leaving on Sunday, Port Everglades, Royal Princess with 2 Formal Nights around the Caribbean

For formal evenings, you will see both long and cocktail dresses. I usually pack a little black dress for formal nights so I can get more than one wear out of it (dress it up with different accessories). For normal nights, I generally wear a sundress (for warmer climates) or dress pants and top.

Caribbean itineraries tend to be a little more casual than some others. I would echo what luvseaside says. You can easily wear cocktail length dresses which would help you with packing. Some women will wear a silky floor length pants outfit (I've done that).

For other nights, sundresses are perfect for dinner on smart casual nights. Dressy capris also work.

If I am planning on doing formal night I wear a long or tea length black dress with a different bit of foofoo each night. If I am not planning on doing formal night I at lest pack good black pants and a glitzy top I could still where with blue jeans on a not formal night. The clothes are all packable no wrinkle stuff, takes up almost no space in suitcase

10 Nights leaving on Sunday, Port Everglades, Royal Princess with 2 Formal Nights around the Caribbean

You will probably find a greater tendency for a few people to make a point about not dressing formally, but if you think P&O out of Barbados you won't go far wrong.

On formal nights (which by the way is only stated for the dining rooms) about 20% will be dressed in tux & gowns, most others will be in suit or jacket & tie with women in nice dresses, skirts, slacks & nice tops. Just no shorts. Some passengers change into more casual wear after they dine there is no evening dress code for the public areas of the ship. The Crown Grill & Sabatini's are smart casual all the time although you will see some dressed up on formal nights. Some passengers book these restaurants specifically on formal nights to avoid having to pack more formal clothing. Whatever you decide you will not be out of place.

I agree -the LBD (little black dress) is your friend here because it can do many things. Also bring along the black skirt and black dress slacks to wear with dressy tops. Mix and match pieces always make you feel like you've brought a different outfit for each evening's dining and activities.

I carry much less clothing after seven cruises, and still think of something to leave home on the next cruise!

Have a wonderful time.

:D