Anyone posted any information about the Dream Journey Cruise

leedm

Question: for the Dream journey cruise New Orleans to San Juan one way, can birth certs be used or does it require passports or passport cards ? Thanks

We are doing Miami to San Juan and then back to Miami and was told we have to use our passports if that helps. It is not a closed loop cruise since you are visiting foreign ports and not debarking in original port. So I would think yes you need a passport, not a passport card or a BC. There is a thread about this if you do a search.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

I am heading out on Wednesday for the second leg of the Dreams Journeys cruise out of San Juan. I can with 100% certainty say that you DO NOT need a passport and that a birth cert. will work just fine.

*Puerto Rico is a US territory.

Edited by SoBigSoSexy

I am heading out on Wednesday for the second leg of the Dreams Journeys cruise out of San Juan. I can with 100% certainty say that you DO NOT need a passport and that a birth cert. will work just fine.

*Puerto Rico is a US territory.

Yes we know that PR is a US Territory, that is not the issue here. The question is since some of the Journey cruises are not closed loop cruises, does the arcane Jones Act and some other maritime law governing passport use come into play?

* I grew up in NYC and we considered PR the 6th "borough".

Edited by evandbob

Yes, if you fly from the U.S. to San Juan on a land based trip. However, if for some unfortunate incident you get ill or injured in a foreign port, you might be in big trouble getting home. I would never travel out of the country without a passport.

Just got back from the 11 day New Orleans to San Juan sailing.

Port wise, the 2 day call in Bermuda was wonderful. It is such a beautiful island with lots of charm and more moderate temps and humidity compared to the Caribbean. Bermuda is a gem.

We did Hamilton (via the ferry) and the Bermuda National Museum on day one and then hired a taxi for a four hour tour on day two. There were 4 of us, which made hiring a taxi at $50 per hour a reasonable way to go. We talked to others that negotiated $200.00 for 6 hours for 4.

Candidly, we booked because we liked the longer itinerary. The "Journey" stuff was all icing on the cake. We would have been happy with 11 days of the standard Carnival offering instead of the usual 7.

In short, the Journey differences were: Enhanced variety shows, really loved the Country & Western themed show (and I am not a huge of C&W), the Captain's Reception and Midnight Buffet, which were part of the 80's throwback day, and the passenger talent show. The variety shows had more performers with enhanced staging compared to the usual fare.

There were a few local, Caribbean dishes on the dinner menu (jerked pork loin was very good) and for those who stayed on ship or were back from shore early there were local performers (we did not see any of these) while in port.

There were enrichment talks a la sister line Holland America. I did not attend any of these sessions.

Certainly the value and overall enjoyment were tremendous. It was a treat having John Heald on board.

I'm sure that others will post real reviews. From my perspective, the Journey concept is a winner.

Edited by SF Cfan

John Heald has been posting on his Facebook page :). Looks like a lot of fun!

I'm a huge fan of JH. Follow him daily. But in addition to his comments about how he feels this went, I can't wait to see someone's review who was actually on the trip.

There is already a thread taking place over the dog issue but I'm looking for someone to post a real review, hopefully with pictures.

I'm a huge fan of JH. Follow him daily. But in addition to his comments about how he feels this went, I can't wait to see someone's review who was actually on the trip.

There is already a thread taking place over the dog issue but I'm looking for someone to post a real review, hopefully with pictures.

Someone did start a thread...with his thoughts on the dog issue :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2268419

We did the conquest repositioning cruise from San Juan to Miami and my husband father n law and mother n law only had birth certificates. We had no problems. When we booked the Jan journey cruise they (travel agent) insisted they would need passports so I called carnival and the port authority and no you do not need passports but it is recommended.

The passport questions really aren't related to this being a Journeys sailing. They're related to being 1-way sailings, so perhaps a separate, dedicated thread is warranted (although, yes, it's been discussed many times before; that never stops anyone from starting new threads). I did 1-way San Juan to Miami the past two years but didn't pay attention to the debates because I always travel with a passport. And the issue that something might happen in a foreign port applies to EVERY sailing and, again, has nothing to do with the requirements.

Anyway...

SF Cfan or jmpelley - did you change time to Atlantic time before you reached Bermuda?

I was there 4 years ago on Glory out of Norfolk and we did advance our clocks before arriving and moved them back on the way home.

We leave on Friday from Norfolk on Splendor to Bermuda and some people are asking. I shared my experience, but would like something recent. Since Carnival doesn't sail there regularly, your stop there is probably the only one since ours 4 years ago (since Sunshine was rerouted due to Joaquin).

Thanks.